Any light with good beacon that runs for days?

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Curious. The ones that I know:
Surefire headlamps
Nitecore MH20
Manker T01, U11, E11
Zebralight have 4Hz Strobe/Beacon, if you call that a beacon..

Anything else?:)

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire headlamps
Nitecore MH20
Manker T01, U11, E11

I have a Minimus, it has an sos mode but no beacon that I'm aware of. I don't believe the sos mode would run for days unless the output was lowered down all the way.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire headlamps
Nitecore MH20
Manker T01, U11, E11

JetBeam Jet 3M has a beacon mode that is a lower output. Will it run for days? I don't know.

Wendee

Enlightened
If I were to buy a flashlight with my focus being beacon mode (for being spotted/rescued), the first thing I would research would be the quality of the lights put out by the manufacturer. The last thing I would want would be for the light to malfunction or die, if I was in such a situation. Some of the manufacturers you mentioned have a reputation for making solid, dependable lights and although they might cost more, it would be well worth it (in my opinion). :)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac D25 Series have beacons (~1 sec on/ 10 sec off), in various battery configs incl 18650, and the D25A Ti is easy to rig on any battery with a paperclip (eg 18,000 mah D cell might run for days).

holygeez03

Enlightened
Zebralight has various lights with very long runtimes and beacon modes... they do not list runtimes for the beacon modes.... but, for example: the SC63w is listed at 18 days for 3.3lm L1... so I would have to imagine that the 0.2Hz beacon on Low would last for a loooooooooooong time.

dave101

Newly Enlightened
[h=1]Armytek Wizard Pro V3 XHP50
How's this for days.....7lm (12d), 2lm (40d), 0.25lm (200d)
[/h]

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
... the first thing I would research would be the quality of the lights put out by the manufacturer. ... Some of the manufacturers you mentioned have a reputation for making solid, dependable lights and although they might cost more, it would be well worth it (in my opinion). :)
Couldn't agree more. Quality is always my first criteria.

Eagletac D25 Series have beacons (~1 sec on/ 10 sec off), in various battery configs incl 18650, and the D25A Ti is easy to rig on any battery with a paperclip (eg 18,000 mah D cell might run for days).
This beacon is somewhat different from the usual ones that I know (very short flash every, say a second). Do you have this light? how do you like the 1 sec beacon?

Zebralight has various lights with very long runtimes and beacon modes... they do not list runtimes for the beacon modes.... but, for example: the SC63w is listed at 18 days for 3.3lm L1... so I would have to imagine that the 0.2Hz beacon on Low would last for a loooooooooooong time.
Armytek Wizard Pro V3 XHP50
How's this for days.....7lm (12d), 2lm (40d), 0.25lm (200d)
Those very low output beacon can't be seen from distance, so is their function reminding you where the light is?

ncgrass

Enlightened
My srt3 has a beacon mode. Seems to be a 100% output too. I've no idea how long it runs but I'd imagine it's a good while. Flashes every 2-3 seconds I think. I've used it a few times when walking along a road at night

Wendee

Enlightened
Re: Any light with good BACON that runs for days?

There, Fixed it for ya. Hehe

For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what you were talking about....Then I saw the modified title in your post! LOL! I didn't know that was possible. I just figured out how to do it (Advanced mode, right?). I'll have to remember that trick :cool:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
This beacon is somewhat different from the usual ones that I know (very short flash every, say a second). Do you have this light? how do you like the 1 sec beacon?

I have a few D25A Ti's - it also has a full output short flash every ~ 0.5 sec, and half output short flash every ~ 1 sec (daytime bicycle conspicuity mode). I'm used to this beacon as it's similar to Quarks (my primary lights, but mostly discontinued now), but I think they'll all do the job if your trying to find your way back to camp in the dark. Not sure which is more battery efficient, but I imagine the 1sec on/10 sec off thing would least annoying to any person(s) left back at camp.

edit: I'm also a believer in frequency = urgency (eg, strobe > emergency; steady blinking > warning; and 1sec every 10 secs > lighthouse-like FYI) and that higher frequencies might be more likely draw third party attention/assistance... then again, that may be your intention (which is still an option).

Last edited:

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Re: Any light with good BACON that runs for days?

lol
that too yeah

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
edit: I'm also a believer in frequency = urgency (eg, strobe > emergency; steady blinking > warning; and 1sec every 10 secs > lighthouse-like FYI) and that higher frequencies might be more likely draw third party attention/assistance... then again, that may be your intention (which is still an option).
That's a good point

jak

Enlightened
Just to clarify, the newer ZL have the 4Hz and 19Hz strobes, and two 0.2Hz beacons (1 flash ~every 10 seconds); one mode is whatever you have your low mode set to and the other is max brightness.

As for longevity... I can only assume that it will "run for days". But for good measure, my testing has NOW started. (Zebralight SC600 III HI) I'll update in 24 hours on how it's doing/battery life remaining.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
This is a good thread as like the idea of a beacon mode when as a camp marker when walking away for a night water or wood run. Right now I just put the light or lantern on medium. I can see the light for a long way off.

But a good beacon that uses less power sounds nice. I noticed many manufactures don't list the runtimes for beacon modes. The HC30 has one of the coolest looking. Probably could do that math somehow and work it out. Or could run a protected lithium ion to test it though don't like to run those any down with low modes etc.

Edit I think the ZL SC5 has some disco modes as well. Will check them out.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Just to clarify, the newer ZL have the 4Hz and 19Hz strobes, and two 0.2Hz beacons (1 flash ~every 10 seconds); one mode is whatever you have your low mode set to and the other is max brightness.

As for longevity... I can only assume that it will "run for days". But for good measure, my testing has NOW started. (Zebralight SC600 III HI) I'll update in 24 hours on how it's doing/battery life remaining.

Are you testing the 0.2Hz beacon on H1 mode? That will be interesting...

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore TM26 regular has a very long run time on beacon mode. Looked for advertised run times but wasn't able to find on a quick check.

If you actually need beacon, why not purchase an Epirb beacon?
Most still have a xenon tube and are energy efficient.
The plus side is that the beacon is much tougher than any flashlight.