Remove facecap MH20/MH20GT???

MastyrOfPuppitz

Newly Enlightened
I own a MH20 and am buying a MH20GT this Friday. I tried to replace the lens seal on my MH20 with a glow in the dark o-ring, but couldn't get the facecap off. I'm afraid to take off the anti-marring guards on my adjustable wrench and severely messing up the anodizing when attempting to loosen. I can't seem to have any success except for tool slipping off the flashlight. Suggestions?

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Strap wrenches, maybe?

Be warned, the light parts may be held together with glue or a thread locking compound.

Ladd

Enlightened
Run it on high for a while first to get it good and warm. Sometimes works, but Loctite can be evil stuff to defeat.

MastyrOfPuppitz

Newly Enlightened
The strap wrench I tried didn't work but I have a better one at work I will try tomorrow. I've tried heat...in direct Texas sunlight, and even left in my truck on dash in direct sun...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are going to mar the hell out of the lights without the proper equipment. Im not even sure the face cap even comes off. Looking at my MH20 it all looks like one piece

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
The bezel ring of the MH20 is like some Surefire bezels, they are not designed to be removed but my friend removed the bezel of his Surefire G2X Pro using a industrial heat gun (not his wife's hair dryer) You can do the same with the MH20 by using a heat gun with a narrow nozzle to concentrate the heat just on the ring and then followed by a strap wrench. Need to understand that you need to get the ring hot, not just warm, and there's a 50-50 chance that the lens will crack which might result in more $$ - After looking at my MH20, I don't know for certain if there are threads, however if there are, they are purposely glued with an strong adhesive but I'm sure the ring it's removable otherwise how will Nitecore change the lens if it get cracked or broken?...But if you remove it your self most likely result in void of the warranty. You should ask Nitecore for more details, you can email the factory at [email protected]. I'm sure they will not tell you how to do it but I guarantee they will ask you why you why you want to remove it, just tell them you desperately in need of a GITD o-ring..:grin2:

Last edited:

maukka

Enlightened
I would also like to change the emitter on my MH20, but haven't been able to take the head apart.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh cracks them open somehow. From what I read in his forum hes done doing MH20's he said they are a PIA and take a long time to do.