MiniMag Reflectors for Sandwiches

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
darkzero modified some MiniMag reflectors for me and after trying them with a few different Sandwiches I'm posting my impressions.

The reflectors are two smooth and one OP. I'll say right up front the OP is the one I prefer due to the smooth reflectors having more artifacts than the OP. The smooth reflectors are pretty nice, but the OP are better yet.

I couldn't turn the light off by turning the head like you would on a stock MiniMag, but I was using Kroll switches so it didn't matter to me. I discovered this while I was focusing the light and I thought I should mention it.

I started with a pair of BB750 Lux3 TVOKs with Fraen Low Profile Optics in an attempt to level the playing field.

I used one with Fraen LP as a base line. The modified reflectors have a much different beam than the Fraen LP. The hot spot is a little smaller and less intense than the Fraen LP.
The reflectors have nice hot spot about twice the size of the hot spot of a PR with a Luxeon III. The beam reminds me of a PR, nice and smooth with lots of spill. The modified reflector doesn't have the throw of the PR but otherwise it's similar.

I also compared these to a McFlood. The modified MiniMag reflector was like a McFlood with a hot spot.

I also tried a BB500 R2H with similar results.

These were modified for use with high dome Luxeons, but I just had to try them with some low domes. I tried them with MM+ Q3 and BB400 Q3. There was still more tint in the beam than with a high dome, but the reflector seemed to smooth out the tint nicely. IMHO these are just as good with the low dome as they are with the high dome.

I saved the best for last. I tried both the smooth and the OP with a MM+ Cyan. The smooth had the artifacts of a colored Luxeon, but the OP has found a home with this Cyan Sandwich. The OP reflector gave the smoothest beam I've found for a colored Luxeon. It's not perfect but it is pretty good. So this story has a happy ending. I had fun and my Cyan Sandwich got just what it needed. I think these are a worth while addition to optics and the McFlood.

Thanks darkzero /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

G Pilot

Enlightened
SBP and a mini m@g reflector kick arse!! You have to trim the reflector so it just barely fits in the SBP head, like you have to force it in. That way it doesn't flop around in the head and becomes focusable (that is the key). If it is not focusable your not going to like the beam. What you get is a big hotspot and side spill to boot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Hoghead, appreciate the feedback! But of course I have you to thank in the first place for the donations.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif back at ya

I was really curious what others thought of these as it seems only a handfull of us here know that Mini-MagAA reflectors can work pretty well in mods.

Hoghead, could you get some beamshots up/for me? That way I can see if you might need to shave a bit in either of the places I mentioned to get the right focus (some MagAA heads don't screw down as much as others). I'm also curious on how that cyan looks as well!

Since you like the OP ones better, I can sputter the others for you if you shoot them back my way. The one OP I sent you had some tiny little hairline scratches or something from cause unknown. I'd feel better if you had perfect ones since you prefer the OP ones more. If you have more reflectors that you would like modified for yourself you can send those as well. Please don't think of it as being too much trouble as it is not. I love to mod stuff!

This goes for anyone else who has one or two that they would like modified. Just as long as I don't get bombarded with requests all at once. Remember like Hoghead said (sorry I forgot to mention) you'll need to use a tailswitch Or do what kj (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif) suggested below. Just PM me if interested.

Thanks

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yea beat me to it hog! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dark sent me some too (thanks dark! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

these are nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

particularly the op one! it's such a uniform job that at first i was confused as to whether it came that way from the factory or not!

unfortunately, i lost my mmm+, sandwhich and all a while ago, so i haven't been able to use these in their intended host yet, but i experimented a little with holding them up to the emitter on other mods, and they do work very well!

definately good stuff!
i've always prefered the beam of reflectorized luxeons as opposed to opticized luxeons.

i've experimented a little bit with modified minimag reflectors in the past, but never found the "sweet spot" like dark has /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

needless to say, i'm eager to try these inside an actual light, as opposed to just holding them up to the emitter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

kj

Enlightened
FYI, as I wrote in another thread, you can turn the light off by turning the head if you shave off the lip of the reflector.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Roth, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I'm happy that you like them! Thx

Sorry to hear about the mmm+, I feel for ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

-------------------------------------------------

The beams should look like this.
I can post other comparison beamshots if anyone's interested, that is if I have the "other" light.

Thanks

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
darkzero,
Sorry I can't do beam shots.
I could see what you meant about filing the reflector to fit. One of the smooth reflectors was out of focus with one of the combinations. I don't remember which one because I tried so many. I do remember that the same reflector was in focus with a different Sandwich or maybe a different light. I placed the reflectors on the counter top and looked to see if one was higher (deeper) than the other, but they seemed to be the same height to the naked eye. I'm sure it would need a little filing if I were to use that combination.
I'll probably take you up on your offer to sputter them. I still have more testing to do and I need some real world use to fully evaluate them. I'll get back to you about that. You did a really good job making these!!! Thanks again.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my reflectors from darkzero a few days ago.

I like this combination a lot.

From what I remember of the Fraen LP, the hotspot is tighter, and there is much more flood. I can defocus it to a fairly wide flood when needed, which is most of the time. That sharp small intense spot is useful to me at a distance of perhaps 50 ft and beyond.

It seems brighter to me than the same combination with a NX-05.

I am having problems now with my light being intermittent, or shutting off alltogether.
Are any of you others that bought these having similar problems?
Mine will go off, and then if I shake it or tap it, it will come back on. It's as if the sandwich is sliding around in the head, with out the colimator in there to hold the sandwich centered.
But, if that was the case, it seems that by now, my sandwich would have been fried from shorting the output to ground. So, I'm fresh out of ideas. I really like this combination, but I'll be forced to put the NX-05 back in if the light won't be dependable, or worse...

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
shankus,
The MiniMag will not turn off with this modified reflector by turning the head. It works fine with a Kroll switch.
It sounds like your Sandwich and the inside lip of the body need cleaning. Does your light work in candle mode?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, exactly. So, since it isn't fitting over the LED, it isn't holding it in a centered position, either. This is the only reason that I can think that the light would operate intermittently, when before it was rock-solid.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
shankus, as Hoghead said, to me it also sounds like you have a bad ground connection between the sandwich and the body. Or the sandwich may be shorting out with the lip of the body and the pins on the sandwich next to the luxeon.

Try removing the sandwich first and clean the contact areas where it makes ground connection on the sandwich and the body.

I just tried turning mine ON in candle mode and no matter how hard I tap the light I can't get it to flicker. Even if I move the sandwich around while it's ON it still does not flicker. The tension of the kroll's spring pushing on the battery doesn't allow the sandwich to move around very easily.

I always "open up" the opening on the body where the luxeon sticks out with a reamer. A round file will work too. If the cleaning didn't work, take the head off and turn it ON in candle mode. Then tap or shake/fling the light around making sure you have a good grip on it. Does it flicker ON & OFF? If it does then it's probably shorting out where the lip of the body is. Put the head back on with one of the modified reflectors installed. With the light OFF, get the luxeon centered within the reflector. I always tap the side of the head with my hand to do so. After it's centered, remove the head and check to see if the body's lip comes close in contact with any of the pins on the sandwich or the leads of the luxeon. If they do, shave some of the lip away.

The kroll's spring that makes ground contact to the side of the body can also cause flickering sometimes. Remove then install the kroll and check for flickering again. Sometimes the spring binds and doesn't make good contact when installing. This happens to me say 1 out of 10 times. Or to be absolutely sure, try using the stock Mag tailcap and see if you still have the problem. If it goes away, then it was the kroll.

I really don't see how it could be the modified reflectors fault here as they don't touch the sandwich or luxeon at all. Not holding the sandwich in place as an optic would do shouldn't cause this kind if intermittent failure. If none off these methods fix your problem and when using you NX-05 you don't get the problem at all, send me the pair back and I will gladly refund your money. I just want you to be happy and will do my best to make things right.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I'm not inferring that the reflector is the cause. Only the absence of the colimator.
I really like the reflector with the high dome, and I will struggle to get it to work. The reflector is the perfect balance between the NX-05, and the Fraen Low Profile, in my opinion. I think it keeps the best characteristic of each, while eliminating the worst. Plus, I get extra brightness in the bargain. It's a win-win-win modification.

When I noticed the problem, I carefully loosened & tightened the Kroll. It didn't come on, then, I tapped the head end of the light, and it came on.

I removed the sandwich, cleaned the interior of the lip, and reinstalled it. It still flickered. Then, I changed the cells. Still flickered.

I plan on filing out the lip a bit, as well. I've not reinstalled the NX-05 for troubleshooting yet, but I will.

I think it may take a bit of tweaking, but I'm sure I can fix this. I just wanted to see if any other members encountered the problem, and what they found as the cause.

I'll let you know what I find...
-----------------------------------

UPDATE
What a bonehead I am. I removed the sandwich again, and cleaned the interior of the lip, and the sandwich, this time.
I put it together, and it has been on for ~20 minutes now, with no flicker.

Lesson learned? Each time I disassemble my lights, a cleaning it called for.
I didn't because I had no problems before.

I think a major factor in my intermittent operation was probably aluminum dust.
After each course of filing on the head, I put it onto the light having only blown the dust away (breath).
I think some of the dust got onto the surface of the sandwich, and worked between the mating surfaces, making a bad contact.

The next one I do will get rinsed and dryed before putting the head back on, between each course of filing.