Fenix lights UC30-UC35

flyingalbatross

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Currently thinking about buying a Fenix torch. I keen on the UC35 as it has a charging port which makes it easier for me to charge(I never get around to putting batteries into chargers so none of my torches work).

I am just wondering, what is the difference between the UC30 and the UC35, other than the UC30 is just shorter? I can't see any other differences other than lumans/distance is a really tiny bit different.

Are these torches generally good and well made?

Thanks.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are extremely well made with a very high quality in hand feel to them. UC30 only has one switch with which to control everything. UC35 has a very sweet tail switch as well as glow in the dark side switch. The UC35 is very long for the PD35 class though. There is a lot of extra metal behind the UC35 reflector for the arguably best in class micro USB charging port which is what makes it longer than the other lights in the class. UC35 micro USB port is waterproof even with the rubber flap open. UC35 is extremely well designed and has very well thought out heat sinking. I never use the built in charger as it takes forever compared to a stand alone charger. Many have asked if the UC35 only takes certain cells. I currently have the uber rare Orbtronic 3600mah NCR18650G stuffed into my UC35 and it works fine. Bit of a tight fit but its fine.

Not sold on the UC30. No tail switch for half press usage. From what I understand it does not come with a pocket clip either. Look closely at the metalwork design on the UC35 Fenix put as much metal as they could get away with into the design of the light. Yes it still gets hot on max but takes a bit longer to get hot. UC30 only has 4 main modes compared to the UC35's 5. Both lights have the same range.

But once again there is the length issue. UC30 is 130mm long UC35 is 150mm long.