Nitecore Lights!

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Ok so what the best Nitecore Lights out there

I thought I was convinced and ready to buy the MH20GT and then I spotted the MH27

Is there anymore that are better than these two and out of the above 2 which is best?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to be one of the most virulent NC haters there were. But...NC really seems to have turned one big corner last two model years. The designs are far far better and their QC seems to actually be professional now. Now as to your question. What exactly are you trying to get out of a light? Range? Awesome beam profile? Run time? Certain tint? Mega output? The NC range is pretty vast but I will throw in my experience with the newer NC's I have witch would be all 3 MH20's, MH27, EC4GT and the P12GT. I do not have any Tiny Monsters as I feel there is just to much on them to go wrong such as the oled screen etc. that and I live in a pretty heavily populated area and my new neighbor is a cop that works odd hours and has said in no uncertain terms "dont turn those things on when I am home" so....

Ahem...favorite out of all the NC's I mentioned is any of the MH20 series. I favor the NW MH20 I feel NC did an amazing job with the tint. The MH20's are a home run in compact yet very high output design. All the lights I mentioned are thermally regulated not timed which is a big plus. All the lights I mentioned have voltage read out which is a HUGE plus, strobe, SOS and beacon mode. All the lights I mentioned actually meet or beat their specified output claims which is a huge turning point for NC. 3-5 years ago NC was notorious for posting very slick looking run time charts and putting up output claims that were just well..I hate to say it but straight up lies via NC marketing.

Things have changed very much for the better for NC. It is almost like they managed to lure Fenix engineers away from Fenix with fat contracts. MH20 is the nicest most well designed NC I have ever had or used. Compact, true 1000 lumen output, great heatsinking and once again all the bells and whistles SOS, Stobe, beacon and voltage read out.

MH27-man...this thing is a hammer. It is so over built I feel confident I could use it as a hammer if need be. MH27 is a bigger medium sized light packed once again with near every feature you could think of. It has some major throw range in the 50k CD range which is far above average. The secondary red green blue emitters are actually bright enough to be useful unlike the dim secondaries on the SRT7. MH27 has well spaced modes and once again meets or beats specs in terms of output. The tint is very white though. I do not mind it but some people do. NC used to be notorious for cutting corners to save a buck as evidenced on the SRT6 and 7 which came with chintzy thin plastic grip rings that did not screw down into place they would spin freely. Both mine split in half in a month I was not happy those lights were pretty expensive.

P12GT-the P12GT is the best of the P12 series thus far mainly because it is the first P12 that is thermally regulated not timed. The cooler you manage to keep it the longer it will maintain higher output. The GT throws as far as I know better than any other light in the PD35/P12 class due to its XP-L HI emitter. Once again the light meets or beats output specs very impressive. The tint once again is also very white keep that in mind. The GT unlike the other lights mentioned only has 4 main modes for some reason. They are well spaced but a 5th mode would have been welcome. The grip ring on the GT may be plastic but this time its thick and sturdy. I ordered a couple of P12GT grip rings for my SRT6 and 7 and they screw down tightly into place and are durable I am pretty happy about that.

EC4GT-smaller than I thought it would be the EC4GT is just...amazing. It is the only light I know of besides the basic EC4 that can maintain 1000 lumen output basically until the cells give out. That is huge. Closest light I have to that capability is my 2015 TK35 which will do 30 minutes before it drops into regulation. EC4GT being another XP-L HI light throws like crazy. I do not have any testing equipment to prove it but the seat of my eyeballs see the MH27 out throwing the EC4GT. Once again the tint is a searing bright white. The light has 5 main modes then the bells and whistles.

All of the above mentioned lights save for the EC4GT have built in micro USB recharging capability which is cool but I never use it. These lights with built in micro USB charging take for freaking ever to charge and do not charge to a full 4.20v. I use my Xtar chargers. Charge in half the time and more accurately as well as to a full 4.20v.

Batteries-the MH20's are meant for button tops only as per the manuals. Some folks have gotten flat tops to work in them but when it comes to the MH20's stick with button tops. Same for the P12GT NC specifies button top only but I have a flat top unprotected Sanyo GA in my GT and it works fine. EC4GT button tops.

OP as for which is better out of the MH20 and MH27 remember there are 3 MH20 variants and 2 MH27 variants. The standard CW MH20 is amazing in itself. Being a well chosen XML2 U2 emitter it actually kinda leans warm for tint. The MH20 NW or at least my copy has an extremely well done neutral tint there is not to much red or orange in it. The MH20GT is pretty expensive but after examining mine closely they did an amazingly good job with it. The reflector on my copy of the MH20GT is so smooth you would think it was polished by hand. Also the GT is a few mm longer than the other two MH20's to accommodate the deeper reflector.

MH27 is a much larger light. If your cool with that then its awesome. Amazingly the secondary LED wells in the reflector for the RGB LED's produce nearly no artifacts in the main beam which is very impressive. I am not sure if the bezel on the MH27 is steel or aluminum though. The other MH27 has a UV emitter in place of the green one on the normal MH27. This can actually be pretty useful especially checking printed money for counterfeits. Modern US printed currency is full of ant counterfeit features only visible under UV light. Aside from that it is just like the regular MH27.

As for which is best that is pretty subjective. They are all extremely good lights NC really did an extremely good job here. I myself almost always have the NW MH20 on me for better color rendition. The MH20GT is flat out amazing. If you had told me 5 years ago Nitecore would produce a compact light this high quality and with the GT's capabilities I would have thought you drunk.

All come with good holsters.

EC4GT is surprisingly pocketable but for EDC use I go MH20. When it gets cold out and the winter coats come out then my bigger lights get carried. Good luck

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
I used to be one of the most virulent NC haters there were.

Wow!! What a response! Wasn't quite expecting that!! Just when I was beginning to think this forum wasn't that helpful....

Thanks for your detailed reply!

I will start at the beginning... I am very new to this hobby, I have to this point no lights in my possession. I have just ordered a small AAA UltraTac K18 as an EDC... I don't know what im supposed to be aiming for but at the moment I seem to be obsessed by High Lumens and Bright Light!

My reason for coming here was to find a light bright enough to shine at a would be attacker/burglar and instantly blind them, making them very uncomfortable - hence my reason behind finding maximum brightness and lumens!

However this is the point that I become unstuck.. I have absolutely No idea about Tints or Light colours or Specs! I was in the mindset that to cause the most discomfort to an intruder that Cool White would be the best light to shine at someone? Maybe im wrong.. I don't have a clue!

What I have noticed on this Forum is that everyone is raving about Neutral Light... I don't really know what this means other than from pics Ive seen looks more yellow.. I was trying to get away from this as it reminds me of the old bulb type flashlights that used to be around. I owned a maglight D type battery rechargeable thing and it was yellow and horrible!

Anyway I did come across a post about a different type of tint which I liked the sound of that made colours appear brighter, that sounded nice.

At this point in time im getting suckered into all these lights and im not sure which one I want! My UltraTac K18 will be here tomorrow but that is just a play light! EDC for messing about with!

I want something to carry at night when im out with a strike bezel with easy access to strobe and turbo. The more I look the more I want to buy them all!

I was dead set on something small but the more I look I see a bigger better light and fall for it. I wanted the EC11 then I wanted the MT10C then thought for the extra size I may aswell get the MH20GT which I almost purchased last week!

Although now im thinking maybe I want a strike bezel and something with more direct access to Strobe & Turbo!

Ive looked at other light companys but NC seem to be my favourite so far in terms of choice! Easy to read website and online reviews!

Here is where im at!
I found this Klarus XT11S which is an upgraded XT11 its 1100 Lumens and almost identical in looks to the MH27, I like the XT11S alot as its bright and has instant access to Strobe and Turbo from the End Tail cap Lever type Double Switch!

I the discovered the MH27 which is similar in looks but no Tail Lever switch and probably not as good modes, although Ive got to say the 3 different coloured LEDS are drawing me in more and more and now you've just told me about the UV light which sounds awesome!!

I am going to have to check this UV light out now! So what id like to know is what are the different coloured LED's for I know red is for night vision but not sure on the blue, green or UV

This could determine weather I pick the MH27 or the Klarus XT11S
How useful are those coloured LED's?
Are they useable in real life situations?

Also the Tint thing has got me confused?
At this rate I can see me buying a few lights!!

I do want to try the Tint that makes the Colours pop!

Also what are Klarus like for Quality, Customer Service Etc.... How do they compare to Nitecore...

Which would you go for out the 2?

Really tough decision!!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klarus arguably not one of the more reliable makers. They had a couple good lights but that was really it. Klarus customer service is more or less non existent. The whole thing with the tint of the beam is this-sure the super white/bluish tints are on average 7% brighter than their neutral white counterparts but the white/blue tint does not reflect back very true color rendition. Neutral tints try to emulate natural sunlight or close to it for best true color rendition reflecting back at you. Some neutrals are much better than others. It is a real gamble trying to find the neutral light that works best with your own eyesight in truest color rendition.

If you want the colors to pop then neutral is the way to go. Like I said though some are better than others. There is a company called Nichia which has built its claim to fame on making emitters that come closest to producing the tint of sunlight. Only problem with them is they are not very powerful. There are some makers that make huge lights with 6 Nichia emitters to make up for that.

As for strobe nowadays strobe is just a button hold press away no scrolling through modes to get to it. On the MH27 you simply hold press the switch on the head and it goes to a full output strobe instantly its pretty darn effective as well. On the MH20 one just simply hold presses the two stage switch and there you go strobe.

As for the secondary LED's on the MH27 they are actually bright enough to be useful at a few feet. Red preserves night vision, blue is good for tracking blood trails and green..well kinda forgot what green was for but its the brightest of the 3 secondary LED's. Keep in mind the beams of these secondary LED's are horrendous. The secondary LED wells made into the main reflector produce totally awful beams. But they are indeed finally useful.

Sounds like you are headed in the mid sized light direction. MH27 is an awesome choice. Also keep in mind the 27 only has 4 main modes but they are well spaced. One very annoying thing about Nitecore lights with secondary LED's is that they have "cop strobe" modes. They will flash fast red and blue. In my part of the world that could get me in trouble with the law. The SRT7 has this as do the other SRT lights. It is a totally pointless feature one that has always annoyed me. All that being said it is an awesome light. One of the best NC has yet made really.

Between the Klarus and NC its no contest for the NC. The 27 is searingly bright on max output. They did an amazing job on the reflector. As for the bezel I cannot recall if its steel or aluminum. Wish I would have waited a bit longer for the UV MH27. The secondary UV emitter is a really good one.

Customer service. No matter what light you buy avoid buying direct from the manufacturer as should an issue arise they go out of their way to stone wall any kind of service usually. What I suggest is this, the NW MH20 can be had for $65-75 maybe less if you can find a coupon code. I would get that as your neutral light and also get the UV MH27. The difference in tints between the two is pretty clear. Expensive proposition yes but both lights should serve you a very very long time. Oh and do not skimp on the batteries. Button top protected 3500mah 18650's are best

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Klarus arguably not one of the more reliable makers. They had a couple good lights but that was really it. Klarus customer service is more or less non existent. The whole thing with the tint of the beam is this-sure the super white/bluish tints are on average 7% brighter than their neutral white counterparts but the white/blue tint does not reflect back very true color rendition. Neutral tints try to emulate natural sunlight or close to it for best true color rendition reflecting back at you. Some neutrals are much better than others. It is a real gamble trying to find the neutral light that works best with your own eyesight in truest color rendition.

If you want the colors to pop then neutral is the way to go. Like I said though some are better than others. There is a company called Nichia which has built its claim to fame on making emitters that come closest to producing the tint of sunlight. Only problem with them is they are not very powerful. There are some makers that make huge lights with 6 Nichia emitters to make up for that.

As for strobe nowadays strobe is just a button hold press away no scrolling through modes to get to it. On the MH27 you simply hold press the switch on the head and it goes to a full output strobe instantly its pretty darn effective as well. On the MH20 one just simply hold presses the two stage switch and there you go strobe.

As for the secondary LED's on the MH27 they are actually bright enough to be useful at a few feet. Red preserves night vision, blue is good for tracking blood trails and green..well kinda forgot what green was for but its the brightest of the 3 secondary LED's. Keep in mind the beams of these secondary LED's are horrendous. The secondary LED wells made into the main reflector produce totally awful beams. But they are indeed finally useful.

Sounds like you are headed in the mid sized light direction. MH27 is an awesome choice. Also keep in mind the 27 only has 4 main modes but they are well spaced. One very annoying thing about Nitecore lights with secondary LED's is that they have "cop strobe" modes. They will flash fast red and blue. In my part of the world that could get me in trouble with the law. The SRT7 has this as do the other SRT lights. It is a totally pointless feature one that has always annoyed me. All that being said it is an awesome light. One of the best NC has yet made really.

Between the Klarus and NC its no contest for the NC. The 27 is searingly bright on max output. They did an amazing job on the reflector. As for the bezel I cannot recall if its steel or aluminum. Wish I would have waited a bit longer for the UV MH27. The secondary UV emitter is a really good one.

Customer service. No matter what light you buy avoid buying direct from the manufacturer as should an issue arise they go out of their way to stone wall any kind of service usually. What I suggest is this, the NW MH20 can be had for $65-75 maybe less if you can find a coupon code. I would get that as your neutral light and also get the UV MH27. The difference in tints between the two is pretty clear. Expensive proposition yes but both lights should serve you a very very long time. Oh and do not skimp on the batteries. Button top protected 3500mah 18650's are best

Which has the better Beam or Throw out of the MH20GT and the MH27?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 27 has a much larger and deeper reflector thus clocks just over 50k CD which is very very good. The GT clocks 36/37k CD for a light its size is freaking phenomenal. As for better beam that is pretty subjective. My opinion is that the GT has the much more usable beam profile. There are no secondary LED wells in its reflector to cause any fuzziness or artifacts. The GT in general use for me is just much more practical. It throws like a howitzer but not so darn far you lose sight of the hot spot etc. The 27 throws so far I really have to squint my eyes to make out what it is lighting up. Then there are lights like say for instance both Olight SR52's. The basic XML2 version clocks an amazing 102k CD and the UT version over 200kCD. Man I cannot even see that far. Then there is my Olight M3XS UT Javelot. I would need binoculars to see what it is lighting up at max range. You could land airplanes with it.

So...best beam? In my opinion the GT it is searingly bright out throws all but dedicated larger throwers, has for real spec meeting output, tons of functions, is small enough to pocket and forget about(the holster it comes with is good quality you can carry it like that as well)has built in micro USB feature that I never use and has a for real 1 lumen moon mode output for creeping around the house at night trying not to wake the kids. Oh and the GT has 5 main modes the 27 has 4 for some reason. Button top cells only for the GT despite what you may read on users being able to use flat tops NC specifically states button tops. Button tops for the 27 as well. NC has a black plastic disc around the positive contact point in the 27 to prevent flat top use.

Best cell for either? Any 3500mah 10 amp re wrap NCR18650GA like Keeppower, Orbtronic and Evva. The lights can also take CR123 primaries but you will be taking a hit in run time with them and at max output they kind of buckle under strong draw. I do not know what part of the world you are in. I am state side. I can get anything out there pretty easily and they are legit. I know it is a LOT harder to get non counterfeit cells outside the US.

outofthedarkness

Enlightened
Thanks for the great post!

Im in the UK so harder to get these lights and batteries for me!

I am at this point deciding between the MH20GT or the Klarus XT11S

I am no longer considering the MH27 due to the secondary LEDs, (don't like them really, especially the silly police mode) only 4 setting modes and its bigger than both)

I have found this youtube video comparison on the XT11S and the MH20GT please have a look and let me know your thoughts, the XT11S looks like a really good light and I like the instant strobe function...

I may end up buying both lights tho, I really like the MH20GT aswell

Here is the link... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXFuzRN7lM