SureFire E1D or V1 vampire.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need some opinions, and help deciding between these two lights. I like the E1D, but I'm not too sure about those sharp serrated teeth going in my pocket! I considered the new 300 lumen EB1, but I like the knurling of the E1D and want a light that can tailstand. The SureFire V1 Vampire, has both, the knurled body and can tailstand, but non of those sharp teeth! The V1 Vampire is 250 lumen, which is plenty for me, I'm just wondering if anyone can comment on how the beam compares to the 300 lumen E1D?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen the beam from the V1, but I can say that the head can be swapped between the E1D and EB1. So while you do have to buy two lights, you get exactly what you want in the end.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen the E1D head on a Eb1 body, but I never thought of doing it the other way around. Might not be cost effective, but interesting. I am intrigued by the V1, maybe because no one seems to own one, and that makes me curious! I'm wondering if the beam is tighter, like the 200 lumen EB1, or have a wider hotspot, like the E1D? In the 2016 SureFire catalog, the E1D is rated at 9,000 candela and the V1 is rated at 9,300 candela, so maybe the beam is tighter?

AussieRanga

Enlightened
I have heard a few complaints about the beam quality on the V1.

Beam quality on my E1D and EB1 are flawless. MUCH, MUCH better than previous generation TIR lenses..

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen the V1 beam. Hotspot not as perfectly round as my E1D's, also smaller.
Biggest complaint would be the ugly purple tint.

My E1D is slightly greenish especially on low, but that purple is unbearable.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info! I went ahead and ordered the V1, to see for myself. Hopefully I'll get lucky with the tint! If I don't like it, I can always get a E1D too, right!

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got it yesterday! I love the look and style of the light! The tint is even good. (No purple to the tint, just a nice white) Sadly the beam is rather awful! Bright rings, and dark rings around the hotspot, and out of round spill (because of how the lens is designed, offset from the bezel. If it wasn't for those rings, the beam would be very useful, but sadly I'll be returning it and probably getting a e1d because of them. It's a pity, because I love how the light looks and feels!

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Though I have found this excellent, info filled thread regarding E-series compatibility, it is getting long in the tooth, and though still valid, it is no longer complete. I wish there was some sort of comprehensive and updated appendix available for all Surefire parts and compatibility for heads, bodies, and tailcaps. Surefire should provide this, but they do not. With all the Surefire fanatics, hard to believe this doesn't exist somewhere on the WWW, but if it does, I haven't found it. That useful information is peppered in sites like CPF with no central consolidation of information. Only the Surefire gurus and insiders know all the stuff, and the newbs like me must go around annoying other members... pulling at your shirts asking inane questions, "but what about...?" Anyway, thanks again.