What's with this EagleTac D25A Ti I just bought?

weekend warrior

Newly Enlightened
As you can see in the pictures it doesn't look like it should. This is a 2015 model with the nichia 219. The head is clearly different, it has a dull sheen that looks more like aluminum to me, and it feels too light to be titanium. I bought it from Night Owl Gear. The box it came in suggests it originally came with a XP-G2 and they swapped it out? I'm not sure what to do with it. Return it? Because of the restocking fee it's barely worth the hassle to. It seems to work good. I'm going to weigh it at work and see if it's really titanium first. What's everyones thoughts? This bugs me, I waited like 2 weeks for it too. :mad:

xE4T23Y.jpg

pPiNuJx.jpg

ronniepudding

Enlightened
The "custom made Nichia 219 LED" sticker is standard operating procedure for Eagletac. The box, at least, looks genuine. As for the light, yeah, the head doesn't look right. It's obviously different from the pics on the vendor's website, and from the manufacturer's pics of that light. I've never purchased anything from night owl gear, but it seems reasonable to exchange free of charge what you got for the correct product you thought you were buying.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head in the adverts has knurling, yours doesn't. It wasn't cheap, so get it fixed. Surely they can't charge you to return it if it isn't as advertised.
What's it like, apart from the cosmetics?
P

weekend warrior

Newly Enlightened
I weighed it and it came in at 35 grams without a battery, which is higher then the 24 grams the aluminum model should weigh. So i guess the body at least is titanium. Still not sure about the head. I'm going to email the company and figure out whats going on.

What's it like, apart from the cosmetics?
P

It's a tight little package. Not tiny, but a nice small size for an AA light. Appears durable, the clicky feels really nice, tail stands. The modes and output spacing is a little weird, so I''m still trying to figure out if I like it. I plan on running a 14500 in it mostly, head heats up very quickly on turbo.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
WTH!!

​Not even close. Knurling on the head, how did they miss that? Looks stainless in the pics. Put a magnet on it. Take out the battery. If it sticks, you know.
That is so fake it is insane. I checked out their website. They show pics of the real 2015, but send out some bad counterfeit. $81!
Wow, just wow.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The box picture shows a knurled head
they made a shipping error
The light that came inside the box is not the same as the picture on the box.

they need to send you the correct light, and they need to provide you a return shipping label for the product that does not match the description.. or just let you keep both ;-)

good luck

Last edited:

ronniepudding

Enlightened

they need to send you the correct light, and they need to provide you a return shipping label for the product that does not match the description.. or just let you keep both ;-)

good luck

+1
It looks like NightOwlGear is run out of someone's garage... But that doesn't necessarily mean they're dishonest. I noticed that they sell some lights through Amazon. Did you happen to purchase this light through (fulfilled by) Amazon? If so, that would offer you some protection and recourse. In any case, I'd do as Jon suggested and try to get them to exchange a real D25A Ti 2015 for that oddity you received from them. Hopefully they will make it right.

If they give you the run-around, then perhaps plan B might be to contact Eagletac directly. In either case, please post back with the outcome.

And next time you're in the market for an Eagletac light, feel free to PM me for a couple of CPF-friendly vendors who would (in my experience) definitely fix something like this without charging a restocking fee.

weekend warrior

Newly Enlightened
Small update:

I contacted NightOwlGear and received an email back that says the light is correct as shipped from Eagletac. So I contacted Eagletac and am waiting to hear back from them.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Small update:

I contacted NightOwlGear and received an email back that says the light is correct as shipped from Eagletac. So I contacted Eagletac and am waiting to hear back from them.
I just bought one from Andrew&Amanda. It will be interesting to compare. The thing is mine is an XP-L HI. Maybe the Nichia are newer replacements.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

good luck

The box picture shows the aluminum version of the light. Very often, aluminum versions feature different knurling patterns and other aesthetic differences compared to the titanium version. I don't think you want them to take your titanium sample back and swap it out for the aluminum version...

This doesn't mean it's a fake either. Eagletac has a habit of using one box for each size of light, and then slapping a sticker on to show what options are inside the box.

On the other hand, a quick check online of what the 2015 version is supposed to look like ... and yeah... there should be knurling at the head, which your sample lacks. Maybe you did get a fake.

Try emailing Eagletac directly. Send them the photos and ask if your sample is genuine. Make sure to point out you expected knurling at the head based on their official pictures.

Last edited:

mjpgolf1

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac lights is a bit strange with their boxes. They use the same box to ship out their titanium version lights as they do their aluminum. They also use up their boxes from older models and just put a sticker over the model ID and details of the light. I imagine they do this to save costs and not be wasteful, which is smart.

As as for the light you received I wouldn't even think about accepting that. If I order a certain light then that's what I expect. I hate to be negative here but I smell a fake with this one. Just because the light turns on and works ok doesn't mean that it's a titanium edition Eagletac D25A. For the sake of comparing I'm attaching some photos of both the box for a genuine D25A ti and the light itself. I hope you get this figured out but again I would not accept that light.

The lighting is not the best on the pictures of the lights so if you would like me to retake more detailed pictures please just ask and I will be happy to do so.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small update:

you just got played…
the light you ordered should have a knurled head, not a smooth one
NightOwlGear sold you the light, it is their responsibility to replace it or refund

If you send the light to Eagletac they will tell you that is not an original head, so no warranty
you would still have to go back to NOG

I suggest you send it back to NOG for refund and buy a real one from someone else

Im making a note to self to Never do business with NightOwl, they are feeding you bull on top of shiite

weekend warrior

Newly Enlightened
Update:

I received this follow up email. It included the last email I got from NOG, so it's not a reply from the email I sent directly to Eagletac.

ugc1s0y.png

The return email address is [email protected] so I'm not sure what to think. I also don't know what the deal with that warning is. Never seen anything like that from a support email. :thinking:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received this follow up email. It included the last email I got from NOG

your latest email comes from Eagletac because NOG copied them (as shown in your photo, it says "Im copying EagleTac on this"),

now Eagletac is replying to the NOG reply to you
the disclaimer and confidentiality notice is not from NOG, its from Eagletac, not that it matters

your photo does not show whether NOG sent Eagletac your original complaint to NOG, and whether you stated that your light is non standard due to lack of head knurling...

youre just getting baffled by BullShiite!

I stand by my recommendation that you return the NOG light for refund, before the return time window closes while they jerk you around, and continue to confuse you with diversion to Eagletac support..

this is my final answer :)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, back to my original post, did you test it with a magnet??? The body clearly claims to be Titanium. See if a magnet sticks. If it does, and I suspect it will, then it isn't just a "head swap". But atleast you know.
My Issue List.
1) The "metals" in the head and body don't even match. Look at any photo of a D25A Ti or D25C Ti or Aluminum and they match flawlessly.
2) The head is already removable. Why would you have to make it "removable"? Kinda odd.
3) How often do you break the lens? Is this a huge problem people were having with the D25Ti? Has anyone here ever broken one? I own 4 and never have over the years! Dropped one several times.
4) Knurling???????? All of mine have or had Knurling on the head. Anyone seen or own one with out it?
5) Forget the box, that isn't what you are paying for.

weekend warrior

Newly Enlightened
Ok, back to my original post, did you test it with a magnet??? The body clearly claims to be Titanium. See if a magnet sticks. If it does, and I suspect it will, then it isn't just a "head swap". But atleast you know.
My Issue List.
1) The "metals" in the head and body don't even match. Look at any photo of a D25A Ti or D25C Ti or Aluminum and they match flawlessly.
2) The head is already removable. Why would you have to make it "removable"? Kinda odd.
3) How often do you break the lens? Is this a huge problem people were having with the D25Ti? Has anyone here ever broken one? I own 4 and never have over the years! Dropped one several times.
4) Knurling???????? All of mine have or had Knurling on the head. Anyone seen or own one with out it?
5) Forget the box, that isn't what you are paying for.

I did test with a magnet, it doesn't stick to either the body or head, only the pocket clip. If you have a D25A clicky Ti could you weigh it and tell me exactly what it weighs? I weighed mine and it weighed 11 grams more then the listed weight for the aluminum d25a. I noticed slight coloration differences between the head and body too, I'm suspicious that the body is Ti and head is Alum. The explanation about the removable lens seems very odd to me.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking it was stainless by the pic. Kinda hard to tell. But, true, it could be Al.
The one I have right here is a 2014 Ti, it is 32.1 grams. I will have to wait till I get to work tomorrow to measure my 15.

recDNA

Flashaholic
But the aluminum head doesn't look like that either does it? It would be really hard to get all the ano off and would cost even more to make a custom bare aluminum head then put Eagletac driver in it.

I wonder if there is a chance that the NEW D25A ti clicky head with 219b looks like that? I mean nobody anywhere has the D25A ti with nichia in it. Maybe even a 2016 version or prototype Night Owl got early?

As I understand it you do have a Nichia led and Eagtac UI is normal? I'm not taking sides or anything. Just trying to make sense of this.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of mine have removeable heads, and I have never broken a lens. I agree with everyone else that something is definitely not kosher. Have you sent EagleTac a photo? You could even send a photo to an approved Eagtac distributor(like Going Gear) to get their opinion-if they respond that they have similar product in stock then you know, if they say they don't have anything like, you also know what direction to go...