What is the best single 18650 flashlight?

GODOFWAR

Banned
I wonder what is the best of the best single 18650 flashlight in quality and durability ever made?

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm sure some guy somewhere dropped $3000 into a bombproof custom light. But for something you can buy now, I'd say the Malkoff MD2 is up there. Surefire is know for durability, but technically all 2xCR123 format unless you have it bored to fit an 18650. Same with Elzetta.

_nw

Newly Enlightened
+1 for HDS 18650, I'd go Rotary but can see the argument for other models.

Connor

Enlightened
There is no "best single xyz flashlight". It always depends on what you want to use it for. All lights have their pros/cons.

markr6

Flashaholic
There is no "best single xyz flashlight". It always depends on what you want to use it for. All lights have their pros/cons.

I originally started typing that same thing, telling the OP to get ready to be drilled by "there is no best" responses. But he did ask specifically about quality and durability so I think that cuts it down to a fairly short list. Solid recommendations so far.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

OK, but what is the best car? And the best phone? Surely you can answer that? :laughing:

GODOFWAR

Banned
You know what the best flashlights could happen if SC600w Mk III HI made under Surefire brand it would be a miracle light!

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultrafire:crackup:

I couldn't possibly choice from the many that I own.

markr6

Flashaholic
You know what the best flashlights could happen if SC600w Mk III HI made under Surefire brand it would be a miracle light!

I'm very happy with my SC600w HI. But even though I'm a big ZL fan, I definitely can't call it very durable or reliable. It's just not that kind of light. I know it can take a pretty good beating, like the post where someone laid down a motorcycle on the ZL! But when you're talking absolutely durable and reliable, you don't want a bunch of fancy electronics and electronic switches IMO.

ven

Flashaholic
Since there is no such thing, I will say the better ones would be semi-custom. Call it making up a light tailered to your requirements . To name just one example and what I have is the bored c2(could be a bored 6p) with cryos bezel and triad tail cap. Engine wise a p60vn quad xpl HI 5000k
Not the best but one of my personal fav's

What ever you have, there will always be a better one:D I have dropped a vinh quad many times in work and been rock solid. Not dropped my malkoff lots of times(yet!) but 1000's of users can't be wrong in their dependability so a malkoff drop in would be a good choice of rock solid dependability !! Just no where near as bright! (if needed of course!).

Last edited:

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
Vinh's SL2 or the HDS or... Prometheus? I don't see much talk on here of the Prometheus light, but it does look awesome....

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
I like md2 with m61l and high low ring and triad tail cap.

Zebralight runner up but not as durable

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh's SL2 or the HDS or... Prometheus? I don't see much talk on here of the Prometheus light, but it does look awesome....

No way is th SL2 up there in durability. I have tons of convoy S2+ which use the same body as that light and no way are they up there with malkoff HDS and surefire. The SL2 is so incredibly overpriced compared to if you just build it yourself.

just looked at the price. $110 for a 9 dollar host, 7 dollar LED and 10 dollar driver. Holy crap what a ripoff. Build it yourself and save a shed load of money

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Some cheaper hosts can do pretty good after a modder gives them some TLC. But still not something I would trust 100% Here's a solarforce host with some Pflexpro lovin:

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
No way is th SL2 up there in durability. I have tons of convoy S2+ which use the same body as that light and no way are they up there with malkoff HDS and surefire. The SL2 is so incredibly overpriced compared to if you just build it yourself.

just looked at the price. $110 for a 9 dollar host, 7 dollar LED and 10 dollar driver. Holy crap what a ripoff. Build it yourself and save a shed load of money

I thought it was some special driver?

How about the Prometheus compared to the hds? (I presently own the hds 18650 clicky)

recDNA

Flashaholic
Zebralight sc62w. Lets YOU choose between unprotected or protected batteries.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was some special driver?

How about the Prometheus compared to the hds? (I presently own the hds 18650 clicky)

It isn't. Search mountain electronics for FET Driver - 17mm, it is the exact same thing. Currently on sale for $7.99.