Malkoff md2 problems with flat top cells

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to pass some info along to anyone else that owns or plans to purchases this light.

The positive contact spring on the m61 drop in is very strong. It crushed the positive contacts on two of my flat top cells. The contacts became recessed into the top of both cells to the point they no longer touched the spring on the drop in rendering the light totally useless. I'll have to admit I was very surprised to have had so much trouble with a light that has a cult like following and a reputation for durability and reliability. I was also very surprised to find little to no discussion on this subject after multiple searches.

I have however been using this light sucessfully for a few months now. Im using a keeppower cell with a good button top. As long as you use a cell with a good button top I think the md2 is as good as everyone says it is. I should also mention eagletac cells although technically button tops aren't strong enough either as my 3100 was one the cells damaged by the m61 Spring. The other an AW 3400. Use a cell with a strong button top and this light is good to go.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MD2 has springs at both ends which should equalise the compression at both end of the battery.

What brand of flat tops were you using?