SF L5 vs. L6: Please Help!!

CCW

Newly Enlightened
All those lucky owners of L5 and/or L6, please post your opinions about these lights, pros and cons, and your general findings.

For those really lucky CPFers who own both, which one do you prefer, and why?, Is L6 worth the additional cost?

This subject came up a few times before, but it would be nice to get your latest take, now that they've been out for a while.

BIG Thanks.

Manila

Newly Enlightened
have both

prefer the L5 with Pila rechargeable batteries

plus the L5 is lighter although the L6 is brighter

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the L6, but don't have an L5 to compare it to. The L6 throws a long beam, but still has enough spill to be useful. I like to use the Arc LSH-P for a general light, finding things around the cabin, etc. The L6 if great for reaching out, walking through the woods at night. But compared to the Tigerlight, it's not nearly as bright.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi CCW...

I have both.

If I had to pick just one of them, I`d pick the L6...for its somewhat longer throw (although it`s not all that much longer than the L5).

The point is that other great lights, like the Arc LS`s and the Arc4`s, will be the "Go-To" lights in your EDC for primary and regular use. The L6, on the other hand, is great for those times that you would otherwise pull out an M6 or M3 on HOLA`s.

You do know, of course, that eventually you will have BOTH the L5 and the L6...it`s just a matter of time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just flip a coin if you have to and get your first one now...or see what pops up as the first one available at a decent price...and enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You won`t go wrong.

Best wishes!

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very satisfied with my L6, I by-passed the L5 due to having the L4 previously and being extremely happy with the L4. The L6 has great throw with a clean white beam. It is not by any definition an EDC due to its 3 cell configuration and massive bezel but for its intended use its very compact. For EDC the L4 is as large as I would go physically speaking.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had both and have some comparison shots on my website.
If I had to pick one it would be the L5. It's runs off Pila rechargeable batteries and is the same brightness (I tested mine, I can't speak for others) as the L6.

The difference is the L6 has a slightly bigger/deeper reflector giving the beam a tighter hot-spot and slightly longer throw. The L6 also gives you longer run-time since you are using 3 cells instead of 2 in the L5.

So with the L6 you are paying a lot more for something bigger with a slightly tighter beam and longer runtime.

The L5 is smaller with a slightly larger hot-spot making it more suitable for shorter range work.

So ask yourself this:

-What kind of run-time do I need
-What size range am I looking at
-What distance do I need the light to "throw"
-What am I going to use it for: short-medium range or mainly medium range work

Eagle1

Newly Enlightened
I have an L5, and love this light. I do not have an L6, but to compare the 2 lights, I know that the L6 is almost 8 inches long!
I have an L4 and the L5, and use the L4 for a general tasking light, (in my painters pants pocket, it rides) and the L5 rides in a V70 combat holster (bezel up) for all of my gun fighting needs. (I am a police officer) I have been contemplating this same question since Dan got the L6's in. I think I have come to the conclusion that I will keep my L5 (& get another one). The L6 will be entirely to long for comfortable carry on or off duty, due to its size!!
The L5 has a nice tight beam that it throws, and so far I am real happy with it!!!! Good luck with your decision, I know how this stuff eats at you sometime!!!!

chipper

Newly Enlightened
Eagle1, I'm looking at getting either an L4 or L5 (the "is surefire L4 for me post").
I notice that you have both of these, I've seen pictures of them both but it's hard to tell the size difference. My current AA mag fits confortably so I presume that the L4 will aswell but I'm not sure about the L5.
Would it be possible for you to measure the length and also the diameter of the light.
I'm guessing that the L5 will be just a little too big and will probably end up getting the L4.
Thanks in advance,
Chipper

kj

Enlightened
Sean,

The hotspot of my L6, which I bought from you, is brighter than my L5... roughly 2000 lux vs. 1500 lux. I'm happy with L6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe your L5 is extremely bright?

Carpe,

I completely agree with you in all your points /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DanM

Newly Enlightened
I have the L5 and like it very much. I also got a KL3 head and a C3 light. This kit gives me long run time and or better throw. (note the L5 should not be used on the C3)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The L6 has a longer runtime (110 vs. 65) and is more efficient than the L5 since it uses a buck driver. It throws further, too.
Since both are too large for EDC I'd go the the ultimate beast and take the L6.
bernhard

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kj said:
Sean,

The hotspot of my L6, which I bought from you, is brighter than my L5... roughly 2000 lux vs. 1500 lux. I'm happy with L6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe your L5 is extremely bright?

Carpe,

I completely agree with you in all your points /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. What distance are you doing this test? Mine were done at point blank, setting the light on the sensor to collect all the light. I do agree that as you move farther away from the sensor that the L6 will measure brighter.

rlhess

Enlightened
Sean,

The measurement for Lux should be done at increments of one meter and the measurements for fc should be done at increments of one foot.

I usually measure fc at 2 or 10 feet. 2 feet for small lights, 10 feet for larger lights.

Then whatever you do, multiply the ratings by the square of the distance and voila -- the output in candela.

So if you measure 16 fc at 10 feet that's 1600 cd.

If you measure 16 lux at 10 meters that's 1600 cd.

Cheers,

Richard

kj

Enlightened
I took the measurement of the beam center brightness at 1 meter using LM631.

Maybe the total light outputs are same, but I think L6 focuses more and (usually) throws further.