under cabinet LEDs...one section is dim!

jlatenight

Newly Enlightened
I all, first post here. I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I had big ugly florescent light fixtures under my cabinets tied together and controlled by one light switch and I decided to replace them all with LEDs. I bought these two kits from Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-2-Pack-18-in-Plug-in-Under-Cabinet-LED-Tape-Light/4351941
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-2-Pack-12-in-Plug-in-Under-Cabinet-LED-Tape-Light/4351943
I used the existing AC wiring to connect them all together. I have a picture with the layout in my kitchen, but I guess I can't upload pictures. The problem is one of the 12" sections, the furthest away from the power source, is barely lit...the leds come on, but are very faint. I'm hoping there's something I can do to boost the 'juice' to that one strip? Maybe put a capacitor inline or something? Maybe a bigger wallwart power supply that puts out more current? Many thanks for the help!! -Jon

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
Break in the middle and wire in another power supply? So you have 2 switches to turn on?

This would work.

it sounds like you are trying to drive too many LED strips off of the power supply. You need a bigger power supply or a second one as was suggested above.

You can always call Tim Allen.:D

bob

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have installed that same unit, but only put 2 strips in line. I have installed several pure 12 volt units. Food for thought: When the voltage & amperage drops you get dim or blinking issues. So, if I am running say 20 plus meters I try to have, at minimum 4 amp & 14 volt supply.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the last one in the series is dim and the one before it is fine, that suggests a bad connection between them. If you have too many on, either they will all be dim, or you will see they get gradually dimmer as you go down the line.

How many add-on kits do you have?

By the way, nobody can post pictures on this forum. You have to host the pics somewhere else and link to them. You can either paste a link like you did in your post, or hot-link them by clicking on the 'insert image' icon and pasting your link in the window that comes up. That way they'll show up in the thread without having to click on the link. Keep in mind that if you do it this way, the pics are limited to 800x800 pixels.

Latest posts