PETZL NAO v.2 heat damage to protective glass

KubaGdansk

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys and Gals!

Greetings from Poland!

This is my first post, and if I managed to screw up on the location of this thread, sorry. I have been looking through this forum via google and just decide to register an account, yeah :wave: here I am!

Ok, now to the point of the story,

Hiking in the Polish High Tatra mountains is a blessing to the soul. Orla Perć, being the most beautiful trail of them all, has been on my list for years. Some two weeks ago I returned from a trip just to find out my NAO (which I put in my softshell pocket, which in turn has been put in my backpack) had turned itself on :eek:. I know. Safety lock. I know. Somehow it didn't work the way it should. Anyway, the NAO, through nuclear fission got fused to my sofsthell lining and made a beautiful artistic blob. Now this happened because it turned itself on :eek: in reactive mode and only the wide beam got "blobbed". No way to remove it, abrasion nor chemicals. I'm sending it off for warranty, but if Petzl denies it I'm stuck with a Petzl NaoBlob. Also, cracked battery covers on the "hinge" hole are quite normal I suppose?

So, dear forum users; t he question to you:

Iif PETZL says: "FU, our dear client", then will I be able to get a new glass/plastic front to replace it myself somehow?

Best Regards!

Jacob

I hope I attached the pictures correctly

sofstshell%20vs%20nao.jpg

shining%20example.jpg

20151121_210319.jpg

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy, and welcome to CPF,
Petzl has good reputation. I would expect there to be some small charge for replacing the lens and shipping it back to you.

KubaGdansk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, any idea if these types of injuries can be / or are covered / by warranty? I mean theoretically, there is no information in the user manual that such a situation could take place. Just thinking.

KubaGdansk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, any idea if these types of injuries can be / or are covered / by warranty? I mean theoretically, there is no information in the user manual that such a situation could take place. Just thinking.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manufacturer's warranties typically cover manufacturing defects, for instance if it stopped working because a solder joint came undone, or a particular function stopped working.

I'm not familiar enough with this product to know what kind of safety lockout it has, but if you feel that you had it activated, and it still managed to come on, AND you can show that this is a repeatable malfunction, meaning the manufacturer can duplicate the malfunction when you send it to them, then of course you could ask them to fix it under warranty.

However, if you simply accidentally activated the light, which in turn caused the damage, then you shouldn't expect the repairs to be covered under warranty. Many manufacturers offer a flat rate fee for repair of non-warranty work, for instance, I know that Zebralight will fix any of their lights for a flat fee of $15, which includes return shipping to the owner. Also, keep in mind that some manufacturers will ask you to send the faulty unit in for evaluation, and then for something simple (like a lens replacement), will fix it for free, even if it's caused by user error.

Your best bet would be to contact Petzl and discuss this with their customer service department.