Looking for strongest and brightest Triple/Quad P60 dropin

Genna

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who can build the strongest and brightest Triple/Quad P60 Dropin for a single cell?

My last stand was the silver/copper Quad XP-G Dropin of VanIsleDSM...

Thanks for your help!
Genna

Jbones

Newly Enlightened
I got a really nice Quad xpl hi from Vinh, it's crazy bright. Literally like turning on the sun, and from 1-18650 battery

Not sure of the lumens or lux readings but compared to a few of the triples I have, all I can say is wow.

ven

Flashaholic
Matt and vinh are my only experiences , out of these two it's only one of my quads off vinh that has took a beating(so not saying matts won't either!)

Used my CQvn for a good while in work in a solarforce host, countless drops onto the factory floor/ metal machine floors, never flickered or failed .

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Genna, have you checked out Torchlab Triples at Oveready? Dunno if they still make them, and I haven't got one but they look very sexy.
Just thought I'd throw it into the mix.
P

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Well, I was paying attention too; but also didn't want to immediately put in my personal vote for the updated OR/TL Triple as some might think that I have more than one vote, lol. ;)

Nothing wrong with suggestions. Either way is the right choice if it's right for him.

Glad you're oaying attention EG, unlike me. I need more sleep.
P

Your suggestion is a good one and I'm certainly not going to disagree with it!

The challenge here (and reason we don't bother doing high watt single cell options) is the strain such high amps put on support parts. Specialized (fewer) tailcaps, specialized (fewer) batteries, specialized connector parts. And that's before even starting with thermal considerations.

And all for what? 35mm cells aren't going to provide 15a for their full discharge. So 'single cell' is generally code for 18650. The same length as 2x18350s. So the only performance you can hope to gain is runtime. And if the cell sags, much of that is because of lost output.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] 35mm cells aren't going to provide 15a for their full discharge. So 'single cell' is generally code for 18650. The same length as 2x18350s. So the only performance you can hope to gain is runtime. And if the cell sags, much of that is because of lost output.
Exactly. I don't see much point in flogging the heck out a poor single cell, beyond what it can efficiently deliver. Much better to be more moderate to a single 18650 - to get its substantial capacity benefits. For real hotrodding, 2xIMR or 2xLiCo18650 is where the serious /regulated/ performance is. :)

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without knowing Genna's desired use, seems like too many open questions. For me, the quad setup in a P60 puts the emitters so close to the perimeter of the dropin. Wondering how much more light gets scattered off the inner edge, than with a triple. The Oveready V5 Triple with the redomed XPL is the design balance that works for me, with limited use of afterburner in a 2X18650 body (usually).

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Honestly, I'd suggest going with 26650 cell so it gives you some headroom in term of current consumption. A123 26650 LiFePO4 cell is probably out unless you want to hot wire all four Nichia 219C LEDs directly to the battery without a driver (which translates to 5 Amps) for some pure insanity. Of course, the flashlight would get hot instantly. I have a custom Convoy S2+ flashlight containing Nichia 219C LED and A123 18650 LiFePO4 cell (direct drive and regulated mode available), and on 100% direct drive mode, it get warm almost quickly. I'd be surprised if Nichia 219C can survive heat Hell from being direct-driven or overdriven by the custom / modded regulated LED driver.

Genna

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excuse my absence, I had spontaneously due to work abroad.

Thanks for your help, that I know appreciate! [emoji106]🏻

The wanted Dropin is just the maximum gain of light from a battery (18650/26XXX, so do not really have a practical use, but rather only show what is currently feasible.

ven

Flashaholic
Only quads I have xp-g2 at 5000k, CQvn . Guess around 2500lm, it's plenty bright! Always starts in low and 4 mode.
P60vn. Xpl HI 5000k with drivervnx2 , noticably brighter and anyone's guess for OTF lumen , maybe 3500 ish? Don't know but 4000 led lumens ish.

On the right is the CQvn and took many drops, so quite a bit of shock but admittedly it's the host that gets the physical beating.

Vinh has has changed the p60 a little so it fits snug in the surefire hosts now(sometimes a little gap between head/body of the previous ones )

if you want me to ship to you to try out just shout, see if it's for you.

Croquette

Enlightened
For the strongest, I would chose Oveready/torchlab, even if you lost lumens, you gain in reliability.

And for a good mix, a Tana triple with H17f and triple xpl-hi could be pretty good to.

I edc a torchlab V4 triple xp-e2 and a tana triple h17f with xp-g2 and I couldn't be more happy.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah. Kind of like that Repulsor/Uled pitch, do we really need that much light right in front of us? Our pupils constrict and night vision is impaired. The Nitecore EC4S has plenty of up-close lumens yet manages to throw a decent distance as well.

Last night, our young dog got alarmed, and it was nice to cut loose with the Oveready V5 XP-L triple and fill the yard with light. Since my eyes were previously not dark-adapted at all, it worked great. Plenty enough to see whatever was not there; false alarm.

If you want to go with massive lumens (more than, say 2000-3000 lumens) get something that can also throw as well as fill. What a waste to dump all that light nearby.

Perhaps this is a good time to mention something related to Genna's previous thread about bear detection at night: If you want to see something like a bear that is in thick forest, a thrower that does not light up all the foliage in front of you, will be more effective. Try using a thrower and a flood flashlight and see what works better when trying to look past the trees and brush immediately in front of what you intend to see. Maybe you have already discovered this.

Croquette

Enlightened
True, but for example, most of the time I use my light with less than 10 lumens, and having a few hundred lumens in stock is always comfortable.
For the throw, vinh also makes single dedomed xp-g2 drop in that are rated 65k+ cd... not bad for a p60.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very sensible advice. I took my Malkoff wildcat out the other night. I'd been driving a while and so my eyes were dark adapted. I stopped the truck on a fram track and swithced on the Wildcat, the amount of light really hurt my eyes and head. It's a great light for ultimate flood, but a bit of a shock if you're not ready for it.
P