New EDC light - Single Battery + Fixed Clip

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

Been a while since posting but I am in need of a new EDC light. My go-to EDC lights were a couple Nitecore Infinities, multiple FourSevens AA variants and a Sunwayman V10R.

But, as time progresses, I find myself in need of updating (wife and kids have appropriated quite a few as "theirs") and my AA2 Quark Pro is too big for dress pants.

What I am looking for is a small but powerful light (preferably not AAA) with a fixed clip that can be clipped to dress slacks comfortably. I tried a FourSevens Preon penlight but I've always had problems with Preons activating accidentally and giving me hot leg. Also, I prefer more throwy lights over floody EDCs.

I would love to hear your recommendations and thank you for your time!

markr6

Flashaholic
The only 1xAA light I find comfortable with dress pants is the L11C. It's not throwy and may not satisfy your needs in output, but the sleek deep carry clip, low profile and weight make it comfortable. I tried my Zebralight SC52w but it's just too fat and looks/feels weird with dress pants.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Ti Eagletac D25C Nichia 219! Even more so with a McGizmo pocket clip, though the stock clip wasn't too shabby.
eb27ad708d3baf0f3148a8834d3bb88b.jpg

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Instead of clipping it, try hanging it inside the dress pants. More discreet, more comfortable, more secure, and more accommodating. I carry my Zebralight H52w this way. I still have my warm Quark Mini AA. AA lights have become considerately more powerful since.

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Instead of clipping it, try hanging it inside the dress pants. More discreet, more comfortable, more secure, and more accommodating. I carry my Zebralight H52w this way. I still have my warm Quark Mini AA. AA lights have become considerately more powerful since.

I've tried that and it's just not comfortable as my front pockets are full with Wallet/Light/Multitool/Blade/Pen/Smartphone.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My H52w goes in the same pocket my wallet is. Light is suspended above wallet. They don't ever touch.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to find the titanium version not that anybody needs the titanium version... But it's nice.

I had a D25a XPG2 in Al and a D25a XML in Ti once, before I gave them away.
I liked the Ti but the Al wasn't far behind, it looked great as well and I liked the XPG2 better too,with its more intense hotspot.

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
Like the firefly but it is out of my price range right now ... Just saw a thread on the Klarus Mi7 and that little light looks pretty sweet. I would just have to figure out how to make a pocket clip that wouldn't move around using the lanyard hole.

thedukeoftank

Newly Enlightened
My H52w goes in the same pocket my wallet is. Light is suspended above wallet. They don't ever touch.

Just really looked at Zebralight again and they are growing on me. I prefer a much more throwy light but at the size, output and price, the SC5 & SC52 L2 look more attractive every day.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Just really looked at Zebralight again and they are growing on me. I prefer a much more throwy light but at the size, output and price, the SC5 & SC52 L2 look more attractive every day.

I was going to recommend the SC5w (Neutral White)... I love mine... It also has good throw (for a single AA light) in the various high modes (I keep my high mode set at the 187 lumen level) - but the 500 lumen turbo mode is just 2 clicks away...

markr6

Flashaholic
I wanted to like that SC5w, but it's just too darn thick for your dress pant criteria. It's big and fat for a 1xAA. In dress pant material it's like swinging a wrecking ball. I usually think of dress pants as slimmer fitting too (standard Dockers), so that would be a big bulge on the side of your leg. At least that was my experience.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I wanted to like that SC5w, but it's just too darn thick for your dress pant criteria. It's big and fat for a 1xAA. In dress pant material it's like swinging a wrecking ball. I usually think of dress pants as slimmer fitting too (standard Dockers), so that would be a big bulge on the side of your leg. At least that was my experience.
How ahout the sc52?

tops2

Enlightened

While I still love my SC5w too..but as markr6 mentioned for your requirement of slacks/dress pants, the SC5w would most likely be too big and heavy and may swing around. Its mostly the diameter and weight of this beast.
The SC52w is light in weight, but diameter may be a bit large too.

Personally, for workout shorts and other light shorts/pants, the Olight S1 would be as wide in diameter as I'd want to go. But its not an AA light though. But for me, its a good balance between size (both diameter & weight) vs output.

markr6

Flashaholic
I keep coming back to the L11C. It's basically a long AA battery, nice and sleek. I wish that could be driven harder though for some more output. But I have the Nichia version, so maybe the XP-G2 would be enough.