Which small inexpensive headlamp?

LightHearted

Enlightened
I'm thinking bout the PT Aurora or the Petzl Tikka Plus. Seems like the Tikka is a bit brighter and the PT a bit less expensive. I wonder if the triangular beam configuration on the PT would make the light output any smoother than the inline 4 of the Petzl. Anyone have experience with either of these lights or know of any good deals on these right now?

Thanks,
Ken

JJHitt

Enlightened
I happen to be wearing my PT Aurora as I type this... I love this light (It's not quite daylight and SWMBO is still asleep).

I've no experience with the Tikka, but the Aurora does have a smooth, almost too narrow, beam without artifacts. Niceest thing about the Aurora is it is comfortable. My first headlamp was the Everyready 15 dollar light and the PT is a lot more comfortable than the Everready.

The Petzl probably puts out more light, but as I use mine primarily for sneaking around indoors, I keep the Aurora on the lowest setting.

charliek

Enlightened
I don't think the Tikka has brightness settings...
I own an Aurora.. it is ALWAYS packed with me on camping trips. Great light- great price.

I'd put mine on too, but it's daylight and I have no idea what a SWMBO is...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I have not seen or tried this light, but the CMG Tracer seems to be available at REI.com. Very small, one AAA, and two LEDs. I think they wanted $24.95.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I have had both. I really like the PT aurora better. The Tikka isn't waterproof (but maybe the new one is). But I like the switch arrangement better. It is way bright for reading and close work which is all you can use either for.

I carry one in my briefcase all the time especially when travelling.

The thing I like best about the Tikka is the interchangeable lens so that you can have white, red or green. Nice feature.

If I had to pick - it would be PT each time though.

j

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:SWMBO .. She Who Must Be Obeyed.

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
There's a new one for the acronymn list! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
SWMBO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif...That is an OFS acronym!!! (OFS: Out-F#%&*n'-Standing)

PJD

LightHearted

Enlightened
Thanks guys. Bought the PT Aurora today. Sports Authority had them on sale for $20.99. That made my decision a lot easier. One point of comparison that nobody mentioned is the adjustability of the beam angle. The PT is on a hinge and infinitely adjustable, while the Tikka has a ratcheting swivel that "clicks" into position. There are only about 5 or 6 clicks that allow for what seems like about only 60° of adjustability. Since I have discovered I like to wear the light higher up on my head (so the light doesn't reflect into my glasses), I much prefer the PT's greater adjustability. Of course, the extra LED of the Tikka would be nice, but I guess you can't have everything.

While I am happy with the PT, I did notice that the beam is relatively white except for a noticeable blue spot right in the center. This seems to be significantly bluer than other les expensive LEDs I've owned in the past. Is this just the luck of the draw? Would it be worth my while to go back and check for one with a whiter output, or are they all pretty much identical in beam quality? The lights come with the batteries already installed, so it would be very easy to turn them on and check while still in the package. What do you think? Worth a 10 mile trip back to Sports Authority?

Thanks again,
Ken

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ken,

Yes, take the trip back and check out the other lights. Get the one that has the best beam.

You will wonder every time you use the light if there was a better one.

With that said, I think you may still end up with a bit of blue in the beam.

Tom

charliek

Enlightened
Mine is a bit blue as well.... if it is the only light in the woods... it doesn't seem that blue. When your eyes are used to incandescents in the house- it will look blue.