Nitecore MH20GT Switch Issues

airgreek

Newly Enlightened
So my one week old Nitecore MH20GT started to malfunction today. I went to turn it on and the switch was not responding. When it did finally respond all the switch would do is switch modes no matter how hard I pressed on the switch. In order to turn off the flashlight I have to unscrew the tail cap. I LOVED the MH20GT but this quality issue leaves much to be desired. Back to the seller it goes. Maybe I will buy another one down the road but until then Zebralight, Manker, and Armytek it is.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
very odd. First actual bad report of a new MH20 I have read here really. Have all 3 MH20's and love all 3. The GT is in a class of its own outside custom lights I would actually try an exchange for a new one but hey its all you. ZL MkIII HI is even smaller than the MH20 and has even higher output. Does not have the throw of the GT but man it is one of the best lights I have bought in my 20 years of collecting. If your eyeing those brands you mentioned for a compact high feature high output EDC light just get the MkIII HI. Armytek does not make anything near the MH20 or MkIII HI. Manker? I will give it to them they are really trying but still dont have anything on the ZL.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
So my one week old Nitecore MH20GT started to malfunction today. I went to turn it on and the switch was not responding. When it did finally respond all the switch would do is switch modes no matter how hard I pressed on the switch. In order to turn off the flashlight I have to unscrew the tail cap. I LOVED the MH20GT but this quality issue leaves much to be desired. Back to the seller it goes. Maybe I will buy another one down the road but until then Zebralight, Manker, and Armytek it is.

I'd advise to read Armytek threads first... It was in my "want" list, but lottery with QC of other owners forced me to rethink the selection. I live in Lithuania and just cannot afford myself anything that requires multiple returns to settle low quality issues.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Armytek threads are overall pretty bad. I totally understand why as I have done far to much research and wasted way to much time studying their site, products and my own experiences getting the 9 Armyteks I got over the last 4 months.

When buying Armytek NEVER buy off of their site. That locks you into having to directly deal with their extremely shady business practices. AT's are pretty widely available online. Yes they will cost more from a private retailer but trust me should an issue with your new expensive AT arise that extra cost will be worth it.

I could write a short book on how shady AT is but will just say this-Armytek, when they are having a good quality control day at the factory, make some of the best lights in the industry. You wont find even custom lights that have such a high quality of anodizing not to mention industry best optics and glare coating. Lots more extremely good features on their newer lights and they have incredible ratings for drop distance and are IP68 rated(both dust and waterproof).

Be aware that should you buy an AT off Nkon or some other reputable European site if that is where you are that the light will likely not include a users manual. AT says they are doing online PDF manuals for everything now. Quite strange is that they do not even have the PDF manuals for all their lights on their site. Maybe you will get an AT with no printed manual and no PDF version on their site as well. Out of my 9 Armyteks 6 came with printed manuals. All of which were for different versions of the light. For example AT just updated their firmware which is how you adjust and change modes. Not a single mention of it on their site. Two of my AT's came with printed manuals for the former gen firmware the mode adjusting etc in the manual was totally different. Even the ultra sweet and rare new old stock V2.5 Predator Pro I scored in flawless condition came with the wrong manual.

When it comes to the small AT's like the Partner and Prime there are just much better small lights out there that size. It sucks you had a bad experience with your GT OP it really does as the MH20 series in my opinion are possibly the best lights NC has ever made. Like I said I have all 3 MH20's they all get used. My GT is a freaking howitzer I cannot remember any other light that small that throws that far let alone has all the bells and whistles like blinky modes and voltage read out. My personal favorite is the NW MH20 they did an amazing job on the tint I love it.

Oh you are using a protected button top cell correct? MH20 is not designed for flat tops. Some people here have managed to somehow get their MH20's to work with them most do not. Also sounds like a possibly bad switch. I did notice that out of my 3 MH20's my first one the standard XML2 version just does not have the firm feel as the other two and is kinda squishy and not as crisp feeling going through the modes. So yeah that may be a possibility it is a two stage switch it has more parts than a single stage just more to go wrong.

I would give the GT one more chance and exchange it. But if you do not want to and still want one incredible compact EDC firstly forget about Armytek their good stuff is all mid sized and up. Return your GT get your money back and get on what is likely the waiting list for the Zebralight SC600 MkIII HI. You want quality? How about fully potted electronics, ingot like fit and finish, so many modes and operations I cannot remember them all and 1100+ OTF lumens at max. Only has half the throw of the GT but it is even smaller than the GT. Has a titanium clip. Only takes unprotected flat top cells which they sell on their site the one you want is the red Sanyo 3500mah 10amp NCR18650GA its only like 7 bucks. Protected button top cells will not fit into the light.

The small AT stuff may have crazy good anodizing but are odd designs and performance wise none of them have the options or performance of the ZL or MH20 series. Good luck

airgreek

Newly Enlightened
the Armytek threads are overall pretty bad. I totally understand why as I have done far to much research and wasted way to much time studying their site, products and my own experiences getting the 9 Armyteks I got over the last 4 months.

When buying Armytek NEVER buy off of their site. That locks you into having to directly deal with their extremely shady business practices. AT's are pretty widely available online. Yes they will cost more from a private retailer but trust me should an issue with your new expensive AT arise that extra cost will be worth it.

I could write a short book on how shady AT is but will just say this-Armytek, when they are having a good quality control day at the factory, make some of the best lights in the industry. You wont find even custom lights that have such a high quality of anodizing not to mention industry best optics and glare coating. Lots more extremely good features on their newer lights and they have incredible ratings for drop distance and are IP68 rated(both dust and waterproof).

Be aware that should you buy an AT off Nkon or some other reputable European site if that is where you are that the light will likely not include a users manual. AT says they are doing online PDF manuals for everything now. Quite strange is that they do not even have the PDF manuals for all their lights on their site. Maybe you will get an AT with no printed manual and no PDF version on their site as well. Out of my 9 Armyteks 6 came with printed manuals. All of which were for different versions of the light. For example AT just updated their firmware which is how you adjust and change modes. Not a single mention of it on their site. Two of my AT's came with printed manuals for the former gen firmware the mode adjusting etc in the manual was totally different. Even the ultra sweet and rare new old stock V2.5 Predator Pro I scored in flawless condition came with the wrong manual.

When it comes to the small AT's like the Partner and Prime there are just much better small lights out there that size. It sucks you had a bad experience with your GT OP it really does as the MH20 series in my opinion are possibly the best lights NC has ever made. Like I said I have all 3 MH20's they all get used. My GT is a freaking howitzer I cannot remember any other light that small that throws that far let alone has all the bells and whistles like blinky modes and voltage read out. My personal favorite is the NW MH20 they did an amazing job on the tint I love it.

Oh you are using a protected button top cell correct? MH20 is not designed for flat tops. Some people here have managed to somehow get their MH20's to work with them most do not. Also sounds like a possibly bad switch. I did notice that out of my 3 MH20's my first one the standard XML2 version just does not have the firm feel as the other two and is kinda squishy and not as crisp feeling going through the modes. So yeah that may be a possibility it is a two stage switch it has more parts than a single stage just more to go wrong.

I would give the GT one more chance and exchange it. But if you do not want to and still want one incredible compact EDC firstly forget about Armytek their good stuff is all mid sized and up. Return your GT get your money back and get on what is likely the waiting list for the Zebralight SC600 MkIII HI. You want quality? How about fully potted electronics, ingot like fit and finish, so many modes and operations I cannot remember them all and 1100+ OTF lumens at max. Only has half the throw of the GT but it is even smaller than the GT. Has a titanium clip. Only takes unprotected flat top cells which they sell on their site the one you want is the red Sanyo 3500mah 10amp NCR18650GA its only like 7 bucks. Protected button top cells will not fit into the light.

The small AT stuff may have crazy good anodizing but are odd designs and performance wise none of them have the options or performance of the ZL or MH20 series. Good luck

Thanks for your thorough insight. I do have the Zebra SC600 MKIII Hi. I was on the waiting list for two weeks. I LOVED the MH20GT and I do want to give it another try but once I lose trust in a product it is over. What is the next closest MH20GT that has equal or better throw?