6P and M series heads?

KBobAries

Enlightened
I'm getting lost trying to mix and match parts. I have a bored 6P host and want to get a couple drop-ins for a bit more throw so I'm looking at an M3 head (not the turbo) and know that I'll need a C-to-M adapter. It will be an occasional use item so I don't want to have parts that require machining; just plug-and-play.

Are the terms D36 and M series interchangeable? Granted each maker/modder will have slight variations so a drop-in might require wrapping in foil, but are the heads and drop-ins standardized like P60s? If a website says M series compatible does that refer to a standard M3 head?

What's the correct Surefire part number for a standard M3 head?

Thanks,

Dan

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the D36 vs M issue, but Lumens Factory sells a 'C' to 'M' adapter. The only drawback is that it is natural HA and not black. On second thought, I do believe that D36 and M are the same, at least threadwise, since they both use the same C to M adapter.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll want to be careful, it's not always plug and play. D36 is the diameter of the head, aka 36mm, just like D26 refers to the Surefire P60 size of 26mm. Some vendors, Nailbender for example, the D36 unit is made to fit in the M3 head, which requires some disassembly and fitting, but I wouldn't purchase just any module with the D36 designation without consulting as some units could be made for Wolfeyes or Lumens Factory modules that may not necessarily fit Surefire. Whatever D36 unit you source, do some research on it beforehand and inquire if it will work in a Surefire head.

Also! Very important, some modules are not made to work with a C-M adaptor. Lumens Factory calls this out in the description of some of their units, that it will fit an M-series light but would not work in a regular host even with an adaptor. As far as I can tell, it is due to the gap not being able to make electrical contact. When it doubt, check around. Mark@LF was very responsive when I PM'ed him on here about some Lumens Factory units.

And the M3 head is the Z46.

It took me awhile to figure out what I was doing before I got a Nailbender D36 for my M3. Good luck!

Last edited:

KBobAries

Enlightened
Morning all,

Thanks for the replies. 14 hour workday yesterday and I was just too exhausted to post last night. Sween, your post is a great help.

Dan

KBobAries

Enlightened
Is an M3 head a direct fit on an M2 body without machining or adding an adapter? And vice versa? I could buy an M2 & M3 then swap heads and sell the unwanted parts.

Last edited:

KBobAries

Enlightened
You'll want a KT1 ... tough to find now though

Had to google that and it appears to large. I want to stay within the bored 6P & single 18650 format. A turbo head would be difficult to carry so I'm looking for the smallest thing that will house a D36 for a little extra throw when night hunting.

Dan