Quick review of Opus BT-C100

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I recently saw this charger in threads here and looked it up because I've been given some laptop batteries and also been playing with power banks and USB powered devices and needed to check the capacity of batteries I have as some seemingly don't last too long and others seem to discharge themselves sitting for a few months. I was considering the Opus BT-C3100 v2.2 but finances decided against that and a tempting offer on Gearbest for about $10 and some change made me risk it.

First impressions:
1) Bigger than expected but then it is my first Lithium Ion charger.
2) Decent quality construction, would probably sell in stores for 2.5 times as much I figure.
3) Interface was easy to get used to since I already have an old Lacrosse BC-900 which works fine.

I've analyzed about half a dozen 18650s so far and the charger does well at doing so but I realized after testing a few of them off the charger that I had a small manufacturing "defect" that I guess many of not most of these chargers have in that the voltage readout is a little higher than actual. Mine was about 0.6v high compared to my Fluke 117 meter. I also checked it against my old Craftsman meter which measured 0.8v lower and a cheap red Harbor Freight (freebie) meter that measured 0.5v lower.
After I realized this I searched the internet and found a mod that required soldering a 68k ohm resistor to two smd resistors "ends". If you take the back plate (4 screws) off you can see it with either good eyes or a magnifying glass. This repair is not too difficult to someone who is pretty good with a soldering iron and it "adjusts" the voltage about 0.5v upward on the charger (to charge cells higher voltage). My charger seems to stop at about 4.21v so I'm pretty much within 0.1v of 4.2 instead of 4.14v.

I tried the power bank function and it seems very good with just a short test I used a USB LED light that takes 75ma and one that takes about 900ma and both worked fine and the output voltage stayed constant at 5.1v unlike some of my power banks that drop under that much load as much as half a volt or more. I should have tested it using my usb load tester (resistors) that simulates 1A and 2A loads I will try that if someone is interested but I'm pretty sure it will do 2A I think it is rated for 2.1A in the manual. I haven't tried the micro USB power input mode. When I tried the power bank mode I did unplug it and noticed that it was harder to change modes (readout) from Amps to volts to watch the battery voltage you have to press and hold longer to do that like there is huge lag going on.

Pros:
1) Smallest analyzing charger out there that I know of.
2) Well built quality construction.
3) Large enough display to see at a short distance (6 feet for main numeric readout)
4) Well lit backlight with 3 digit resolution 3.456 etc.
5) 12v 5.5mm plug power input from brick and 5v micro USB inputs
6) USB power bank function with decent output that allows monitoring voltages and currents of both battery and USB outputs.
7) Charges Nimh and Nicad and supports 3.7 and 3.8v lithium battery types (4.2V, 4.35V?)
8) Able to "refresh" Nimh batteries and test capacity of Lithium batteries
9) Multiple charge and discharge rates up to 2A on Nimh and 1.6A on lithium charging and 1A on Nimh and 700ma on lithium discharging.
10) Has impedance test that is separate but also scrolling through readouts during operation it is always listed and most of the time the number is the same as running the separate test alone. This is useful to help determine battery health and explain some battery problems like higher than normal self discharge.

CONS:
1) No rubber feet on charger so it can slide around and possibly scratch/mar surfaces it is placed upon.
2) Cord placement is not optimal at all, it is like the sockets were put on the circuit board as an afterthought with the 12v power on the right side near the front, the USB port on the left side near the back and the micro USB power input in the very front edge. I would have put the 12v power out the very back and the micro USB out one side near the back and the USB port either in front or near the front edge but as it is makes it hard to place in a "busy" location with other chargers and devices it has to stick out front or allow more clearance on the side of the 12v input.
3) Display is tilted but not enough if it is on a table and you are at a 45 degree angle it is harder to read I put some rubber blocks on bottom near the back to tilt it up more to reduce the "ghost" images of unpowered LCD "pixels" etc.
4) Backlight is ALWAYS ON, even when no power it attached and powered by the battery in it. It doesn't shut off at all and at night you either have to put something over it or unplug it if it is nearby as it does put out enough to be a nightlight. I may install an switch to turn it on/off or reduce the power to the LEDs some as ti doesn't need to be as bright as it is.
5) Higher rates on lithium batteries would be nice... 2A charge and 1A discharge would help to both analyze and charge larger batteries faster but 1.6A charge and 0.7A discharge is still useful if you need to go that much faster best to either buy multiple C100s or a 4 bay charger/analyzer.
6) Analyzer doesn't display ongoing mah while discharging so you don't know how things are going until either it is done discharging AND then recharging and says FULL or you watch the voltage and discharge/charge text at top which is smaller and not as easily seen from a distance.
7) Final charging voltage varies from what I've read with several of these off by 0.05v which may not seem too huge of a number but it can "add" 5% or so capacity to your lithium batteries and a 3500mah battery it would add 175mah more which is an extra hour on low mode on my cheap 18650 flashlights and could be several hours or more powering a USB LED light. I made a USB light that takes 14ma of power and that extra could run if for half a day.
8) Online PDF manual not available (YET) from the manufacturer. I have PDF manuals for most of my electronic stuff and appliances and find it very handy to not have to dig through either filing cabinet or empty boxes piled up somewhere to find out how to use a mode or see specifications for the device. I can read a PDF manual (or even a text file) in 30 seconds vs 15 minutes. The manual for this is readable but could be written better as it hops around putting stuff not in a more useful order with most of the first two pages safety tips and then going into using the modes before even discussing the display itself which is after explaining the USB mode. It could use a few more charts better written too for more instant information.

Notes: Comes in a ~6x6x2 inch nice box, purple with pictures and lightning bolt graphics that has a "tuckable" front flap. Manual is essentially the size of two sheets of normal copy paper side by side folded in half and half again printed on both sides. AC charger is a wallwart with sideways plug (US) which allows a smaller footprint on power strips and has a sideways 5.5mm? DC plug so you should be able to replace it and also get a 12vdc car adapter (needs to be 1A at least capable) you can also use a 2A micro USB cable setup either AC or 12vdc powered. USB mode requires you to press and hold the "current" button till it says "O F F" which is skewed vertically on the right side of the display. You then press the current button again till it says ON and it takes a few seconds for the voltage to show up in that section along with the amperage which is 0.0 till a load is applied. The Amps resolution is only 1 decimal but still useful enough for most uses there isn't room for more digits there.

I recommend this charger at the price I paid for it (under $11) but if you were to buy it at close to $20 I would recommend you consider a 4 cell model. The shipping time from Gearbest was not too bad about 2 weeks but from what I've read YMMV on that. At the time I bought this there was very limited amount of places to get this and they were all based in China I believe but I think mine was shipped from Germany or maybe it was shipped from Germany to China back to me? Don't quote me on that I threw away the bubblewrap envelope already.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Your charger probably charges to 4.23 or 4.24V now or are you really measuring the voltage where the charger stops (Most people are a bit naive with charging and measure voltage after the charger has stopped)?

A bit more about it: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rger-do-not-charge-LiIon-to-4-2V-is-it-faulty
I've measured both ways with the charger running comparing meter vs meter and with the charger unplugged measuring both and then took out the battery and measured it too.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just had one battery that wouldn't complete the precharging cycle of testing at the 1A level (18650) so I tried it at the 1.6A level and now it is discharging. Not sure why it was doing this maybe it had some self discharge problems or something.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Ok I finally (after testing about 10 more batteries caught one just as it finished and when "FULL" showed on the charger I pulled the battery off immediately and tested it. The charger said 4.210v just before it said FULL but it said it a few times dropping back below it so I assume 4.211 is the magic number that equals "FULL" and my measurement of the battery out of the charger was 4.193v on my Fluke 116 meter. So even with the resistor fix it is still off 0.018v. I'm very satisfied with this meter I've tested about a dozen laptop battery pulls so far and it has been running almost non stop for several days with no issues whatsoever. I've learned to take a small sticky note (several layers of them) and cover the display at night so it only is seen looking directly at the pad and not shining lighting up the room. If I could figure how to put either a switch or a variable resistor to dim the light or turn it on/off without tearing the thing completely up I would probably do so but one fix is to find some tinted film to stick over it. What would be nice is some polarized film as you can rotate it to dim it and at one point it will completely block the light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
One thing I noticed, and you have to be watching to figure it out is that in test mode whenever is finishes charging/discharging and is going to switch to the other mode the charger "rests" for a little over 10 minutes doing nothing but I'm thinking allowing the battery and/or electronics in the charger to cool down. Several times I thought the charger had lost its mind because it wasn't doing anything when I looked at the amps display it said 0000. You have to look at the hours display and if it says 00:10 or less then it is resting between cycles. I did notice that during a short power blink (less than a second I think) that somehow bumped my digital clock back an hour (not sure how that happened) and had my ups clicking several times during a big storm the charger didn't lose its mind having to start over. I'm thinking that since the charger is able to run the display with no external power (battery only) that in a power outage it just remembers where you were and goes back to business after the power is restored. I haven't tried verifying that yet though as I've now tested the capacity of over 30 18650 batteries and have over a dozen left to go (battery pack pulls). before I will try just tinkering with other features including trying it out on nimh batteries.

HKJ

Flashaholic
One thing I noticed, and you have to be watching to figure it out is that in test mode whenever is finishes charging/discharging and is going to switch to the other mode the charger "rests" for a little over 10 minutes doing nothing

If you look in my review that pause can be seen. I will not call it obvious because it is only a small part of the curve:

Opus%20BT-C100%20test%201A%20(PA18650-31).png

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you look in my review that pause can be seen. I will not call it obvious because it is only a small part of the curve:

Opus%20BT-C100%20test%201A%20(PA18650-31).png
I never paid attention to the graphs that much guess I was multitasking a bit much and missed it. The only issue I'm having is occasionally I get a battery that gets "stuck" around 4.18x volts charging it just goes up and down a few numbers where the "x" is you can leave it for hours and it never gets to even 4.2v to switch to off... then discharge mode 10 minutes later. I've had 3 batteries so far that have done this now one of which I managed to get it to complete the charge cycle of test mode the other two I set aside and am testing others instead.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I finally got through all my laptop pulls and this little gem has paid for itself by finding out the batteries I thought were the best of the bunch were the worst of the bunch less than half capacity on average but I had a few weird problems as some batteries got stuck at certain voltages and just wouldn't go beyond them for some reason. I tried everything but finally got them all to go once and I had some batteries test 50% higher than rated in capacity these wouldn't charge up fully to run the test again so I have no way of finding out if the batteries are indeed 3000mah instead of 2000mah. I'm refreshing an old rayovac hybrid nimh battery now and have noted that the battery chemistry display doesn't change from Li-3.7v also unlike the lithium ion batteries which you have no clue as to progress (mah) when discharging only finding out after it completely drains them the nimh chemistry shows ongoing capacity as they are discharged you can watch it count even by 1's.

I ordered a 2.1mm extender with switch for this thing so I can leave it plugged in and just switch the power off when not being used to turn out the light. I also saw a right angle adapter I may order one of these if the cable gets in the way. I found a cheap 12v power cable I have fits this charger so I'm double set there as I can use it or a USB/micro cable setup in my car or off a bare 12v battery in a pinch. I think I will use the 2.1mm power input most of the time as micro usb cables/connectors are more fragile.
Next I'm going to charge a 14500 I have and see if I can glue a magnet on it to put in a AA zoom flashlight I have that is supposed to take both types of batteries.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I got my extender/switch cable today and put it inline between the charger and the right angle connector and now I can switch power on/off to the charger so I don't have to worry about the backlight being on all the time at night. I got it off ebay for 99 cents a good investment IMO.