Magnus Innovation 860 Lumens - 18650 Batteries .....

GadgetJim

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased the Magnus Innovation 860 Lumen USB Bike Light. I cycle at night often, sometimes all night long, playing the game Ingress, and also shopping and running errands. I don't drive, so cycling is my main transportation.

My question is regarding the various high-capacity 18650 batteries ..... Money is not a problem. I would like to purchase three or four (or more) different sets of 18650 batteries to experiment with, and hopefully provide longer running time with the Magnus light. I will use the 860 lumen setting a lot, and sometimes the lower 400 lumen setting.

I am a dummy regarding electronics, so I would greatly appreciate your advice .....

I also purchased the Opus BT-C3400 to charge the 18650 batteries.

Here are some of the high-capacity 18650 batteries I found on Amazon. I am not familiar with any of these brands, except Panasonic.

> Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh
> Perman 18650 5800mAh
> Shensee 18650 5000mAh
> Unknown Black 18650 6000mAh
> Goodfire 18650 6800mAh
> Orbtronic 18650 Protected 3400mAh
> LiCB 18650 6800mAh
> iZoom 18650 3500mAh
> Sunnice 18650 5000mAh
> MuchBuy 18650 9800mAh
> NCR 18650B 3400mAh
> Intsun 18650 3400mAh

D6859

Enlightened
Any 18650 with capacity higher than 3600 mAh is a fake:
> Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh
> Perman 18650 5800mAh
> Shensee 18650 5000mAh
> Unknown Black 18650 6000mAh
> Goodfire 18650 6800mAh
> Orbtronic 18650 Protected 3400mAh
> LiCB 18650 6800mAh
> iZoom 18650 3500mAh
> Sunnice 18650 5000mAh
> MuchBuy 18650 9800mAh

> NCR 18650B 3400mAh
> Intsun 18650 3400mAh

If you're not familiar with the dangers or li-ion chemistry, I'd recommend protected batteries. I've ordered some Protected Panasonic NCR18650B batteries from Aliexpress and they seem to work as promised. I've seen Orbtronic recommended also. Lygte-info.dk is a great source of information regarding batteries and chargers.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy GadgetJim, and welcome to CPF,
Yes, we do like lithium-ion rechargeable batteries here on CPF, mainly because they pack a LOT of power into a small space, however, they need to be handled and used with care, so it would be wise for you to spend just a bit of time reading up on the subject.

Here are two good sources:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-You-Ne...650-Battery-Charger-/10000000178758818/g.html
http://batteryuniversity.com/

Mainly, when choosing cells, stick with name brands (Panasonic for instance) and well known vendors. Always place your charger on a non-combustible surface when charging, and don't leave charging cells unattended.

Also be aware that all 18650 cells are NOT the same size. Protected cells have an additional circuit placed on the outside which will slightly increase the width and length, so check the exact dimensions when considering which cells will fit YOUR light.

With common sense, you can use the cells safely. Happy cycling : )

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Gadget Jim, I have been buying batteries from IMR in Texas with good results. Although they did get burned by one vendor selling fakes, they promptly took responsibility and action. Sadly there are a number of places that sell fakes-in addition to becoming educated on batteries I highly recommend buying from a reputable dealer(there are several threads that discuss this). Welcome aboard, you have just been adopted by some really fine folks, rocket scientists, engineers, law enforcement and everything in between. Please feel free to ask questions, as we all learn from them...

GadgetJim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the warm welcome and great information. I will check out the links and read the articles .....

I had a bad experience with rechargable batteries around eight years ago ....

I was up at Yosemite National Park with several friends, walking around, taking pictures with my digital camera. I had lots of extra rechargable batteries with me in my pockets. Bad place to put batteries, I found out the hard way. I also had some coins in my pocket, which had made contact with the batteries. When I reached into my pocket to get a fresh supply of batteries for my camera ..... I burned my fingers pretty good ... !!!

So, from now on, I keep my batteries stored in special battery cases. I just bought two more large battery cases, and will need to buy lots more.

I often wonder ..... could those extremely hot batteries in my pocket have caught on fire, or even exploded ... ???

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was up at Yosemite National Park with several friends, walking around, taking pictures with my digital camera. I had lots of extra rechargable batteries with me in my pockets. Bad place to put batteries, I found out the hard way. I also had some coins in my pocket, which had made contact with the batteries. When I reached into my pocket to get a fresh supply of batteries for my camera ..... I burned my fingers pretty good ... !!!

So, from now on, I keep my batteries stored in special battery cases. I just bought two more large battery cases, and will need to buy lots more.

I often wonder ..... could those extremely hot batteries in my pocket have caught on fire, or even exploded ... ???

There is a thread with video of a man in a minimart who had 18650 batteries loose in his pocket with keys and change when the batteries vent and ignite causing serious burns. There are such a plethora of cases, many less than $1 and IMHO that is very inexpensive insurance...

D6859

Enlightened
One of the batteries in my old Olight T25 vented and the gas eruption was enough to pop out the rubber boot. Fortunately they were NiMH batteries so the damage was done only on the battery. I've understood that if li-ion battery vents the gas is toxic and if lithium catches on fire it just burns unstoppably.