Is a Surefire L4 for me?

chipper

Newly Enlightened
Firstly, what a site I've stumbled across!!
I'm after a flashlight to use in my job as a Firefighter, I currently carry an AA Maglite in my tunic but realise I can do alot better than this.
After reading loads of reviews I figure my best choice is a Surefire L4, would those with more knowledge in these matters confirm that this would be one of the best choices for me.
Also I live in England, are there any places to get one over here or do I have to import one from the US?
Thanks,
Chipper

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'm not sure what would make a good light for a firefighter, but i've heard that pelicans are used a lot by firefighters right?

the surefire l4 has a very broad beam, which might not work that well in smoke, compared to a narrowbeamed flashlight...

of course i know very little about using flashlights in smokey inviroments, so i'll leave further comments to the professionals /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Welcome aboard chipper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, it's definetely yes, The L4 is for you. Maglight vs L4 it's like day vs night.
You have to consider buying pilas batteries 168S + charger, and you'll have a complete rechargeable Led 5w solution.
Pila dealer
I'm french user, I imported the L4, but you have a better solution with KSBMAN, contact him for more information, it's a great man and no surprise with him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Ksbman
I hope these informations help you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you ask FC, who is a firefighter too, he would say the L6.

(Right FC?)

It depends on size and what you want to spend. If size is not an issue, I would personally go for the L5 because it casts a tigher beam. It's just as bright as the L4 but the L4 casts a wider beam. The L6 is nice because it will run longer than the L4 or L5 and it puts out a tigher beam than the L4 or L5. But it is much more expensive than the L5.

So I hope I haven't confused you too much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I've got some comparison shots between the L4, L5 & L6 on my website listed below.

Here is a comparison shot between the three:

l5beams2.jpg

l5beamshots.jpg

chipper

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for the speedy replies.
Rothrandir, it won't really be used in smoke because unlike what you see in films, when you go into a smoke filled building you really can't see your hand in front of your face, it is all done by feel or thermal image cameras, but I will have a look at pelican lights.

Price isn't really an issue as I figure a quality flashlight for me will be worth every penny.
Size is an issue however as I would want to carry it in my inside tunic pocket.
The AA mag I have in their now fits no problem and I could go a little larger if needed but the L5, I don't know if this would be just a little too big, it's hard to tell from the pictures I've seen.
The L6 would certainly be too big.
I'm in no rush to buy one and will wait to get the right light for my needs.
Frenchyled, I do like the sound of going rechargable and will certainly look into this, I believe a German firm are selling rechargable 123's as well which I am going to look into.
Thanks for the info guys,
Chipper

LightScene

Enlightened
In the middle pictures, of the dining room and living room, the L4 did the best job of illuminating evrything.

chipper

Newly Enlightened
Thats true and thats the distance I'll mostly be using it for but the L5 sure is impressive at lighting up the building in the bottom pictures.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chipper said:
Thats true and thats the distance I'll mostly be using it for but the L5 sure is impressive at lighting up the building in the bottom pictures.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but will it be needed inside where there is a need for a good wide light, or outside where throw is required. The L4 is good for a lot of light out to about 20 feet which would be adequate for most rooms.

chipper

Newly Enlightened
You're right and the smaller size will be a bonus too.
I'll get an L4 and ksbman is going to be a star and ship it for me.
Can anyone recommend a shop to order it from? otherwise I'll just browse the net for one.
Thakns for all the help.
Chipper

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Don't dump your AA MiniMag but put one of the 1W conversion sandwiches from the Sandwich Shoppe in it.

My vote is for the L4....5W in brightness and one inch (25mm) SHORTER than the MiniMag!

Consider the battery situation! CR123 batteries can be hard to get and cost $5.00 USD if bought locally. The rechargeable the other guys are talking about is a good idea if you will be using your light every night. The runtime on a L4 with 123 batteries is a bit less than 90 minutes.

Kiu

Enlightened
chipper,
As you said the size is a factor, everyone here would like to suggest you the L4. L4 is for you (for indoor purpose ). But if you want it can also light up the things that over 50m, maybe A2(also regulated) & TL-2 would do better in similar size (but PILA's recharge not fit). Pelican M6 is a bit bulker but extreme "throw". Chose the flashlight best for you, otherwise, BUY them all~!("Price isn't really an issue as I figure a quality flashlight " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)