Fenix E12 - A drop off in quality?

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Bought an E12 for EDC purposes recently, it's just right for the pocket. However, not too happy with the beam profile as the LED seems off centre and the beam is a little 'wonky'. Also, mine seems to have an intermittent loose connection, only solved by severely over tightening the head (think major excessive torque here). When I first tried it with the supplied AA battery, it wouldn't light. So I changed out the battery and without thinking about it tightened the head very tightly, which solved the problem. Then yesterday I had intermittent mode faults, so by trial and error realised that it was not actually the power source, but a poor contact somewhere that was causing the issue.

Don't get me wrong, this is a £20 light in England (30$ USA?) and I'm not going to loose sleep over it :cool:. I do however own two other Fenix lights, more costly and what you might call a little more premium. Both bought a few years ago. There are no issues with these whatsoever and beam pattern is excellent on both. I just wonder if the low cost E12 is made in another factory where QC is not as good, or if generally the quality of Fenix lights has dropped? :thinking:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting and unlike the Fenix of old. Measure your cell and I know it is a hassle but try to find some cells 2mm longer.

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
Can you get different length AA cells then? I am presuming that primaries that you might buy in a store will all be the same length, but can you get different length rechargeable AA NIMH's ??

Thanks!

tops2

Enlightened
I bought on last ~October/November and the lens is slightly slanted. It didn't really affect the beam (from what I could tell), but I was a little disappointed. But this was coming from $5-10 flashlights before, to a $30 flashlight so I had higher expectations. But how have perceptions changed... Depending on light, a $50 can seem like a good bargain to me now.. :crackup:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Different companies have different quality in the lower models.

ThruNite has excellent quality all around.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
just measured 4 different type AA cells all were just over 50mm long. I do not have an E12 myself, is there a spring at either end of the battery tube? If so maybe try stretching them out a touch? Also take the light apart(unscrew the body into its tube and head pieces) and clean the contact points with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip your contact points may just be dirty blocking current. Also go over the negative and positive interior contact points in the back of the head and in the tail. The flat surface where threads end are also contact points hit those as well.

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
just measured 4 different type AA cells all were just over 50mm long. I do not have an E12 myself, is there a spring at either end of the battery tube? If so maybe try stretching them out a touch? Also take the light apart(unscrew the body into its tube and head pieces) and clean the contact points with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip your contact points may just be dirty blocking current. Also go over the negative and positive interior contact points in the back of the head and in the tail. The flat surface where threads end are also contact points hit those as well.

Many thanks for that, very helpful, I will be sure to check all this out.

Latest posts