Mid-Size flashlight ideas

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
In the market for a new light and not looking to spend a fortune again. Currently I'm looking at a Maglite ML50L 3 C cell. It's a decent thrower with some impressive run times. Looking to run it off of ni-mh c cells that are 5000 ma. Specs are: 339M beam, 611 lumens, 16h runtime on high from 3 alkalines. Total cost is right around $50 for the light and batteries. Is there something similar in specs, size and close to the price of this light from a 18650 or 26650 battery? I'm looking for a decent spotter light since I have a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61 that fills a nice EDC. Thanks!

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. I kept looking for something and could only turn up lights that have really good output but runtime is generally under 2 hours. Haven't heard a whole lot about that light on here but for the price it's worth a shot.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
ML50L is probably a decent value but I would take that run time with a grain of salt.Manufacturers specs often don't accurately represent real world performance.That 611 lumens will probably drop off pretty quickly and output at 16 hours won't be very impressive. Still could be a decent light at that price especially with the NiMH C cells as long as you have realistic expectations.

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
Well did some more digging and found that FL1 ratings mean the run time until it reaches 10% output. So realistically for 75% output it only has maybe 90 minutes. Back to the drawing board...any input for a similar throw light?

maglite mike

Enlightened
I have the ML 300 LX in both 2 and 3 D cell. Awesome lights. I will be getting one of the ML 50s too. I also have 3 of the ml 125s. I wish the ML 125 had 600 lumens likes the ML 50.

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
I have the ML 300 LX in both 2 and 3 D cell. Awesome lights. I will be getting one of the ML 50s too. I also have 3 of the ml 125s. I wish the ML 125 had 600 lumens likes the ML 50.

What kind of batteries are you using? Ni-mh or alkaline? I currently have a ML125 and was wanting to upgrade that since the new lights put out 3 times as many lumens now.

maglite mike

Enlightened
Hi Glass splinter for the ML 300s I'm using Alkalines. For the ml125s I use the rechargeable NiMh it comes with and have alkaline C back ups. The 190 or so lumens is more then adequate for my daily needs. The fact my family can use them in an emergency and the limited lumens means more run time. Although a 600 plus lumen ml 125 would be sweet.
What kind of batteries are you using? Ni-mh or alkaline? I currently have a ML125 and was wanting to upgrade that since the new lights put out 3 times as many lumens now.

Last edited:

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mike. I'm using the nimh pack for the ML125 still and want to upgrade but it's a 6.0V sub-c pack which is a little difficult since it has a nice charger and all. I wish they would have upgraded the ML125 that but I contacted support and they said that they haven't tested the ML50L with any other packs or batteries, bummer...

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Tac, specs look good on that but just hate the tacticool look of it. I don't have any 18650 batteries yet so that is going to add at least another $40 for AW cells ($80 if I want a backup set). I might actually go to the opposite extreme and look at an M12 spotlight from Milwaukee or the upcoming M18 searchlight. I've already got the batteries so that will bring the cost down quite a bit. M12 has 750 lumens with a 700 yard spot. M18 details have yet to be released but it has a spot and a floodlight together. With the M18 batteries I have I can get 72 Wh from each pack (10 18650 cells in each pack) and about a 90 minute or less charge time. Don't have the rapid charger yet but might be able to fully charge these in under 40 minutes if I get that.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what price range you are looking at but maxtoch's store on Alixexpress you can get the light, 2 batteries (they are rewrapped panasonics), and holster for 119. In my opinion that isn't to bad.

Last edited:

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
It's out of the price range for now but I think it's worth saving up for since I'm wanting to make the transition to li-ion fully. Good to know about the batteries since I previously wrote those off as being off brand. I've been reading up on the thread and it seems that this light had a lot of community input before it was made. Guess I'll save up and let you guys know. Thanks :)

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's out of the price range for now but I think it's worth saving up for since I'm wanting to make the transition to li-ion fully. Good to know about the batteries since I previously wrote those off as being off brand. I've been reading up on the thread and it seems that this light had a lot of community input before it was made. Guess I'll save up and let you guys know. Thanks :)
That's what I'm doing as well, always trying to save for a new light. You may also want to check out the Convoy L6.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the $, I don't think you will go wrong with a ML50 or ML300 - both are excellent lights! I run mine mostly on AA eneloops in adapters. Run time with the 3 AA to D adapters in the ML300 is pretty good and to tell the truth, not bad with single AA's in the ML50.....keep in mind most of the time 600+ lumens is not needed and you can run them on the lower modes for greatly extended run times.

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
The Convoy L6 might be an option as well, I like the design better of this one. Anyone have experience with that light? So many choices now and so little money :broke: Thanks for all your input Tac!

Last edited:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I actually came in here to recommend the Convoy L6 or C8. There are quite a few reviews floating around the forums that I'd recommend you look at.

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
Alright...so did some looking and couldn't resist. Ordered a Convoy X3 for $27. Takes 18650 or 26650. Going to play with this one for a bit and see if I like it before going for the L6. I hate this addiction...

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright...so did some looking and couldn't resist. Ordered a Convoy X3 for $27. Takes 18650 or 26650. Going to play with this one for a bit and see if I like it before going for the L6. I hate this addiction...
You're welcome for the suggestions!

Funny you mentioned the x3, I just finished reading a review on it which was posted today.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/48095

glasssplinter

Newly Enlightened
Getting close! Package arrived in the US now so just a few days left. Review looks good on it but the output is slightly disappointing. Still a decent output but that's about 20% less than advertised. Oh well, what do you expect for that price? I'll update once it arrives. Have some EBL INR 26650's on the way since I read that review and found out that protected cells won't work in it. Guess it's not that big of an issue with only a single cell though.