Nitecore TM16 shuts off without warning

livemusic

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I have a Nitecore TM16 and, apparently, when the batteries (four 18650s) reach a certain level run down, it just quits on me. Is this normal? It seems it should give a warning by flickering or something. It has done this three times. I can't find my manual, so, I don't know what is normal.

ven

Flashaholic
Hi there, what batteries are you using (brand/make)? What type of run time and what level using? Have you checked the cells voltage when removed or put on charge ?

livemusic

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, what batteries are you using (brand/make)? What type of run time and what level using? Have you checked the cells voltage when removed or put on charge ?

These are Nitecore 2300mah 18650 batteries. I think it also says NL183 on there. When I bought the light, it was part of a kit, including the batteries and a Nitecore charger, and also a small flashlight as a bonus.

On a fishing trip using the TM16, there are 5? brightness levels and I use the middle one and also the brightest one, probably 50/50. I don't use it constantly, I have other flashlights but I do use it a lot. On a 3-4 hour trip, it might make it all the way and it might crap out. I have not checked voltage; I don't have a meter here anymore, I need to buy one.

This light/batteries was bought about 6 months ago.

Say, these are 2300mah and see other batteries with higher ratings. Like I have some for another light that are 4000mah. Does a higher number just provide more run time?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're shooting in the dark, no pun intended on trouble shooting the light without having a VOM.
Not knowing what your starting voltage and what voltage the light shuts off at is going to limit how far you can go to diagnose the issue.

Now that's out of the way, the TM16 using a 2300mah battery using the turbo or high setting probably has less than 45 minutes of runtime. I suspect the protection circuitry in the battery is clipping voltage close to 3.0 volts.

Using a higher capacity battery will improve runtime by close to 50%. You still need to monitor the voltage as the charger may not be charging close to 4.2 volts, and you could possibly have a single bad battery protection circuit.

Walmart has cheap VOM's for around $10. Close enough for what you need.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should buy some quality cells. Eagletac 18650 3500Mah 10A cells.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Say, these are 2300mah and see other batteries with higher ratings. Like I have some for another light that are 4000mah. Does a higher number just provide more run time?

Yes, more mAh = more runtime. 4000mAh 18650 cells do not currently exist in the wild and are almost certainly fake, though. 3500mAh and 3600mAh are available to the public, but should only be bought from reputable sources.

Some of the Tiny Monster lights are very picky as far as light length go. I've had great success with EagleTac cells in my TM11, though.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
+1 to both posts(edit- all 3 now :laughing: ), thanks for the info! Some higher mah button tops will be worth the weight in run time(probably a 1/3 longer). Maybe take the 2300mah cells as a back up.