Votes: 31 50.0%
  • Yes, I'd buy several.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • No, I happy with the round heads.

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene doesn't currently have plans to produce such an item but if there was enough demand then that may change.

If Malkoff produced anti-roll heads for their MDX-16.5 or MDX-22.3 heads would you buy them?

markr6

Flashaholic
Damn that would be great! Just a little something to keep it put. I keep knocking mine over since I stand it vertical on the head to keep it from rolling.

I know there are all kinds of anti-roll tricks, but when dishing out $130+ on a nice light, I want to keep it nice. Looking for something more refined like a hex-shaped head straight from Gene!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping for something similar to the Surefire hex ring.

I emailed Gene today and he was happy for me to post the poll, so fingers crossed.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Not sure I would spend the extra money on a new bezel for that reason though might have considered it an option during my initial purchase. Then again I kinda like the smooth lines. Reminds me of old school Fenix.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure I would spend the extra money on a new bezel for that reason though might have considered it an option during my initial purchase. Then again I kinda like the smooth lines. Reminds me of old school Fenix.

I'm sure that if the was enough interest then they could be listed on the drop down options like the High/Low rings are when buying a complete flashlight.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the round head-when I grip the light, my pinky goes over the bezel and is comfortable as is.

However, if this does come out I would prob get a 22.3 head.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I'm sure that if the was enough interest then they could be listed on the drop down options like the High/Low rings are when buying a complete flashlight.

Sure. That would probably work. One of my fears is the MD2 will roll off a table then land on a toe or something.:D The light is a little brick! LOL!!!!

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that Malkoff had a strong following on CPF, but only 14 members have taken part in the poll about anti-roll heads.

Given the number of post on the Malkoff junkie thread I was expecting more of a response.

Perhaps the junkie thread just has the same few members repeatedly posting!

KBobAries

Enlightened
I voted yes a few days ago and have been pondering this from time to time since then. In general, I like some sort of anti-roll feature in a light but having had my Malkoffs for a couple months now I've come to appreciate the clean lines. I find elegance in their simplicity. That being said, I think a head could be fashioned that combines both simplicity and anti-roll capability.

My cheapie slide calipers show the outside head diameter to be 1.22" and my assumption is that it would be easiest, and least costly, to add material instead of revamping any interior specs. I found a geometry calculator on line to compare hexagon and octagonal bar stock. I think octagonal would be better since it adds the least weight (granted perhaps only an ounce?? less??) and would appear rounder.

The length of each side would be about .704" for hexagonal and .505" for octagonal. 1/2" is enough for me. I definitely would want the corners shaved or radiused slightly to remove the sharp edges. I would also want to the new head to have the 2 recessed "rings" like the current head has and possibly add a 3rd and/or 4th at the bezel end to match the current design.

My guess is that, since it's a limited run, the opening would be the 22.3 version currently offered since that would accommodate all drop-ins while the 16.5 would negate those of us that already own M61HOT heads.

I don't want any knurling on the head since I don't think it's necessary and would add unneeded expense.

FWIW,

Dan

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm anti- anti-roll when it comes to Malkoff stuff.

The pure round is part of the classic 'style' of a Malkoff.

I'm not suggesting that Gene stops producing the standard round heads, I'm just trying to gauge if an anti-roll version would have enough interest for Gene to produce them as an accessory or an option for new buys.

But thanks for the bump! :thumbsup:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm not suggesting that Gene stops producing the standard round heads, I'm just trying to gauge if an anti-roll version would have enough interest for Gene to produce them as an accessory or an option for new buys.

But thanks for the bump! :thumbsup:

I agree in two ways...
1) I too thought there'd be more input
2) Hoping to see the 'no' votes increase. lol.

It would be cool to see it as an option perhaps. But as I said in the junkie thread I find the $3.95 Elzetta wire thin lanyard ring makes a great substitute. Plus it holds a lanyard. Win-win.

I'd love to see Mr. Malkoff sell these too.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm anti- anti-roll when it comes to Malkoff stuff.

The pure round is part of the classic 'style' of a Malkoff.

I'm with you on this. :) Honestly I am not opposed to the anti-roll as an option per se but looking at Malkoffs already limited production and the cost effectiveness of producing two different types of heads I am not very excited by the idea. I really like the current MD2 design with the all round body style. I wonder if a low cost plastic or metal octagonal ring that fits between the head and body could be produced to provide the anti-roll feature. I don't think the ring would have to be very thick to be functional but it still may require a spacer inside the light for the drop-in to make good contact. The ring would also allow existing owners to add the feature without purchasing a new head.

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
​I am happy with my Malkoff's just the way they are. I voted no.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Wasn't exactly sure what choice best matched my thoughts ... but finally chose "no" since the round versions are fine for me, and I have plenty of other "anti-roll" torches already.

More options are always welcome of course, but I don't think I personally would feel the need to get replacements, if these were to become available.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Would it be possible to make an anti-roll device that can be added to the current light? I'm thinking like a rubber ring that is round on the inside and hex shaped on the outside that slips over the head, or an aluminum piece that fits either between the head and body or tail and body?

My only hesitation about making the current Malkoff host anti-roll is that it might end up bigger and less pocket friendly.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that an add on anti-roll ring would need to be fairly bulky, the benefit of a hexagon ring around the head is that it would add little bulk to actual head and only be at its widest at the corners which could be rounded slightly to be pocket friendly.