Review with Video: Klarus Mi7, 700 Lumens Monster EDC

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
As promised in another post, the klarus Mi7 review!

First off, I am no expert in measuring lumens, voltage and other specific numbers, but I am just going to say - this thing is LEGIT because it is really as bright as I wanted it to be, and 700 lumens or not is not a problem. I compared it to my Olight M30 which is a claimed 700 lumens light, well the Mi7 does look alike or even brighter, good enough!

The Mi7 is not a thrower light, as we all know, but having so much light in a small package, and this price range, with AA compatibility and 14500 for powerful setup, it's really a good choice for EDC. After one night of playing around, I also developed some techniques that you can use the back of the light as a kubaton for self defense as a double usage for the light, because the back has some nice sharp pointy spot where you can really do some serious pinching damages to people with it.

One thing you guys will not know if you have not bought this package ... they come with a "caribiner" (typo?) that has a lock on it, and it's definitely a very useful thing for me. Not only for the light of course, but for other things. It's not anything fancy, but very practical to add to my "chain of stuff" for EDC.

The light has been abusively dropped (3m and over) and still doing fine after repeated drops (over 20x) and I think for such a small light, inexpensive light, it is very impressive. Compared to the so called whatever Norzero DC12 I have tried before, 2-3 drops from chest level and the light died, it's garbage...! ANY flashlight that cannot be dropped at chest level and survive is pure trash, because it means that you can have the light ready to die during work or any outdoor activity. It's not that we NEED to drop it, but just like a phone, we will eventually drop it by accident, and there goes the money. I have even dropped my camcorder by accident. My Panasonic HC-V920 was charging on the table and the damn roomba ate the cord during its tour around the house, then the whole camcorder just flew down the ground from a dinning table... ouch! That was scary. The camcorder still works.. whew! How can flashlight not be prepared for any accidents since its an emergency tool?

Anyway, I give this light a 10/10 today, It's making me so happy, lol!

Danielsan

Enlightened
Thanks for the review, i always start one of your pan flute videos when i cant sleep �� Ive ordered the Klarus some days ago at Banggood

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review, i always start one of your pan flute videos when i cant sleep �� Ive ordered the Klarus some days ago at Banggood

hahaha my flute video is known in a FLASHLIGHT forum, that means something lol!!!

recDNA

Flashaholic
As promised in another post, the klarus Mi7 review!

First off, I am no expert in measuring lumens, voltage and other specific numbers, but I am just going to say - this thing is LEGIT because it is really as bright as I wanted it to be, and 700 lumens or not is not a problem. I compared it to my Olight M30 which is a claimed 700 lumens light, well the Mi7 does look alike or even brighter, good enough!

The Mi7 is not a thrower light, as we all know, but having so much light in a small package, and this price range, with AA compatibility and 14500 for powerful setup, it's really a good choice for EDC. After one night of playing around, I also developed some techniques that you can use the back of the light as a kubaton for self defense as a double usage for the light, because the back has some nice sharp pointy spot where you can really do some serious pinching damages to people with it.

One thing you guys will not know if you have not bought this package ... they come with a "caribiner" (typo?) that has a lock on it, and it's definitely a very useful thing for me. Not only for the light of course, but for other things. It's not anything fancy, but very practical to add to my "chain of stuff" for EDC
Great review! You have a natural ability to inject humor that makes it way more entertaining than the typical review.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I may have missed it but with li ion does it have any kind of overheat protection? How about low voltage protection? Thanks

mjpgolf1

Newly Enlightened
Very interested in this light however I haven't seen anything regarding a pocket clip. So my question is does it come with a pocket clip? If not is there a spot to mount one to the light and does anyone have suggestions as to one that may work with this light. I've bought several lights lately that don't have a clip and I just find them sitting and not being used. I just need a clip on my edc lights. Great looking light here though and I hope there is a solution if it doesn't come with a clip because I sure would like to own one.

Danielsan

Enlightened
Very interested in this light however I haven't seen anything regarding a pocket clip. So my question is does it come with a pocket clip? If not is there a spot to mount one to the light and does anyone have suggestions as to one that may work with this light. I've bought several lights lately that don't have a clip and I just find them sitting and not being used. I just need a clip on my edc lights. Great looking light here though and I hope there is a solution if it doesn't come with a clip because I sure would like to own one.
I can just tell you that it comes without a clip

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all the msg above, and the compliments. The light does not come with any clip but a nice lanyard loop and that other caribiner thingy only. So there is no clip but 2 holes to loop your lanyard and key-rings etc only.

Turbo and overheat protection? Never heard of such thing yet, but I have to do more indepth testing myself to see it in real person and test it myself. From what I can tell now, with my naked eyes. The 14500 do shoot very bright at first, and when you use it more and more, even the light still say the battery juice is over 70% , the turbo beam seems already have dimmed down to 500lumens or so range, for sure it is less intense already. I am sure that 700 lumens will only stay on when your battery is really loaded up nice and full - and maybe for a short period of time just for the hype purpose. LOL! Not that it will be 700 lumens for 1 hr or something..!

Using this light on highest mode outside for about 10-15mins, not very hot, but warmth come out from the head for sure. Not "hot" yet, but still kinda cool to know your light have this potential power inside. I will do more indepth testing when I have the time and get more info out from this light. It's my edc now, I need to know more about it!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read this ad:
it says:
"Over-discharge protection automatically lowers output levels to protect rechargeable batteries"

imo that does not sound like correct English language use of the term "Overdischarge protection". More likely it has a 3 minute turbo timer. We will need to see some independent reports, from all the people buying the light.

my take on the ad:
modes are 5-90-700 (they call 5 lumens moonlight)
No Low Voltage Shutoff
No Thermal protection
No Pocket Clip
No Neutral Tint

a couple of interface highlights:
Single click gives High Mode (imo most dangerous mode to have come on in pocket with LiIon)
Press and hold gives Low mode
Double click for Strobe (not what I call hidden)
Triple click for Battery Level
Press and hold for 5+ seconds for electronic switch lockout (I think this means another 5 second press and hold to turn on again… Im not sure if that means it comes on at Low or High.. my reading suggests mode sequence is HLM)

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
that locking s carabiner doesnt seem to be included on the specs from their website...

I know but this thing is in the box with the landyard loop bag, so I am sure it is part of the package

just tested it on turbo mode last night for 10mins, still hold-able in hand, not bad!

georgeib

Newly Enlightened
I got my Mi7 today from GB. Nice little light for sure. Desperately needs a pocket clip though. It actually looks like there's a ring around the base for a clip, but none is provided. The one from my Jetbeam Jet-1 MK almost fits, but is just a little too loose, so has a tendency to pop off too easily. Does anyone know where I might find one?

Also, how is the "lockout" feature activated? By just twisting the head a little?

narmattaru

Enlightened
i also expect parcel with mi7 to in next couple of wees, post reivew there.
klarus makes good stuff, XT11S was brilliant.

Wendee

Enlightened
Thanks for another great review, CYMac. You reviews are fun to watch. I'm always happy to see when you've posted a new video.

I just received my red Mi7. It's beautiful. :)

Orbtronic protected 14500 fits.
TN Archer 2A V3 pocket clip fits (that's great because I don't need it on the TN).
Jetbeam holster model J1 (11.5 cm) from AliExpress, fits (with pocket clip on).

Question: Does this light not cycle through all 3 levels (moonlight-medium-high)? Is there a way to get from moonlight to medium?

From OFF, long press to moonlight.
From OFF, quick press to high.
From high, quick press to medium.

The only option I have when in moonlight mode, is to shut off the light (I can't step up a level to medium).
When in medium mode,I have to turn off the light, then long press to get to moonlight (I can't step down from medium to moonlight).

Am I doing something wrong? It certainly wouldn't be the first time I was doing something wrong with a new light UI.
I can't find any info about this. :thinking:

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a way to get from moonlight to medium?

yes, 3 single clicks
I hope you will post a beam shot of your L11c at 3 lumens, and Mi7 at 5 lumens, side by side, so I can see the color of the two LEDs, (im not trying to compare brightness.)

the UI is a 2 mode light that starts on High, with a hidden low.

here is where I am getting my info.. not personal experience, I hope you will correct or expand as needed:
strobe UI info here

when light is unlocked

From OFF
First 1 click gives High,
second 1 click gives Medium,
third 1 click gives OFF

From OFF
Hold for 3 seconds gives moonlight, then 1 click for OFF

From OFF
double click gives strobe, second double click gives SOS

From ON
triple click is battery monitor.
hold for 5 seconds for OFF with switch lockout

From OFF with Lockout
triple click to unlock

Please Share battery voltage info when the protected battery shuts the light off.

Last edited:

Wendee

Enlightened
Question: Does this light not cycle through all 3 levels (moonlight-medium-high)? Is there a way to get from moonlight to medium?

yes, 3 single clicks
[...]
I hope you will post a beam shot of your L11c at 3 lumens, and Mi7 at 5 lumens, side by side, so I can see the color of the two LEDs, (im not trying to compare brightness.)
[...]
Please Share battery voltage info when the protected battery shuts the light off.

3 clicks from OFF gives me the battery level indicator.
3 clicks on any level (moonlight, medium, high) doesn't do anything. :thinking:

This is how I have to get to medium from moonlight:
From MOONLIGHT, quick press to turn OFF, quick press to HIGH, quick press to MEDIUM.

I'll be using this light outside, mostly moonlight and medium.
I was hoping that I could get directly from moonlight to medium (and back) but it doesn't seem possible.

I took a beam shot comparing the Mi7 to the L11C but it looks like a 5 year old took it. Pretty embarrassing. I'll send it to you via PM then at least you'll have an idea. :eek:

I'm definitely going to test this light to make sure the low voltage warning works. I believe the light dims, it doesn't actually shut off. My 14500 battery is still about 1/2 charged. I'll test it tonight. :)