What does Spark need to do to equal or surpass Zebralight in popularity?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned 2 Zebralights(SC52 and SC600), and 1 Spark(SL5-220cw). I carried the SC52 for almost 3 years. I lost the SC52 and now I carry the SL5 every day in its holster, which I prefer over using the ZL pocket clip.

Both brands seemed similar, and I've read posts from people who swore that lights from both brands were likely made by the same company. Neither company makes the typical black, P60 style lights. Their lights are unique, and the anodizing colors are unique. Each company has their own style.

But from what I can tell, Spark hasn't offered very many new designs in the last 3 years, with maybe an exception here or there. Their main 18650 light, the SL6, is still advertised with an XM-L2.

It's hard to tell how much their lights have changed, because their website is sorta confusing and not very user friendly. It's also apparently not regularly updated. So when you look for Spark lights with newer LED's like the XP-L, it's not completely clear which lights have been updated. I've seen 1 or 2 other web sites that say they have a new-ish SF6 model with an XP-L. The SF3 and SF5 look really cool with the carbon fiber body sleeve.

Like ZL, Spark also makes many cool lights and headlamps with the 90 degree side directed beam. Their lights seem well made, and I haven't had any problems with my SL5 after 7 months of carrying it. It's got both a side and rear switch, both performing the same functions.
The SL5 doesn't have strobe, which is fine with me for a carry light. I like it's UI over the ZL because it's less error prone. I can reliably get to low setting with 1 click without accidentally switching to turbo, etc.

I sent Spark an email yesterday offering the advice that they update all models with the newest appropriate LEDs, and to offer a sub lumen mode on all lights. They need to redesign most of their website too.

What would it take for Spark to compete with ZL, and become as popular? With a few not-so-costly adjustments to their lights and their advertising, I think they could sell many more lights....

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
;) Spark, is that a flashlight company name? Can't remember having seen them before. I recall other brands, Rofis, Creelant, Lumapower, Dereelight, Xeno, Balder, ITP, Imalent, Niteye, Rayus, Liteflux, MTE, Niwalker, Skilhunt, SupBeam, Tiablo, Xstar, etc they all came and went

markr6

Flashaholic
I was often tempted to try some of their stuff, but they just lacked models and options. Like you said, they need to organize that website and redo everything with new emitters. I also found the prices to be a little higher than Zebralight, which was just a little too much. I almost bought an SL6 in the past, but never pulled the trigger.

LGT

Enlightened
I would also suggest doing away with the memory mode, which seems to be a function on most of their lights. Or at least give a programmable option to keep on or turn off.
I've owned a ST6-460NW for about six years.The anodizing is impressive, it has a solid well built feel to it, and IMO a really nice nw tint.
I'll use it occasionally as long as the activity is not too physical. The protruding emitter causes it to bounce quite a bit.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few Sparks. They're not bad, but Zebralights tend to be far better. Both lights look sorta similar, but the similarity is mostly just skin deep in that both brands feature natural colored anodizing with electronic sideswitches.

Zebralights tend to have the following advantages
:
  • Small Size - Zebralights tend to be quite small for the size of battery they use. So much so that not many manufacturers make smaller lights for each particular battery size. Sparks are very average in size.
  • Big output - Zebralights tend to have excellent output. In contrast, larger Sparks tend to produce less light than Zebralights. Lumens sells.
  • Unique UI - The Spark UI isn't bad... but it isn't as good as Zebralight. Also many lights have UI similar to Spark's, while the Zebralight UI is completely unique.
  • Cutting Edge features - the latest Zebralights feature advanced features not found on "average" lights like the XHP35 emitter and dynamic user-configurable temperature controls. Zebralights are some of the most advanced lights available. Sparks? ... not so much.

When the above is considered it's no wonder why Zebralight flashlights tend to be far more popular among flashlight enthusiasts than Sparks.

Last edited: