Need your feedback for writing reviews! (Fenix TK15UE review coming...)

D6859

Enlightened
Fellow CPF'ers! I need your help. I've written 2 reviews so far and got 0 replies. With over 700 views total I'm starting to feel there is something wrong with my reviews and no-one bothers even to comment them or then they are detailed enough that no-one has any questions. Before I start writing my 3rd review (on Fenix TK15UE) I would like to have some feedback. Did you like my review? How could I improve it?

Here's a link to my first review: Fenix RC09
Here's a link to my second review: Nitecore HA20

I know my camera (mobile phone at the moment) is bad for taking beamshots and I don't have the equipment for measuring lumens or candela, but I try my best at documenting and testing the flashlights I've been given with the tools at hand.

Please, if you have question about the flashlight or the headlamp, post it into it's own thread. All the feedback about the reviews (structure, photos, style) I welcome here.

Thank you!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't wish to sound overly critical because I cannot measure cd nor lumens either but that is the first thing I look for in a review.

D6859

Enlightened
I don't wish to sound overly critical because I cannot measure cd nor lumens either but that is the first thing I look for in a review.

Indeed, the first thing I look for in a review is the runtime graphs. It tells me a lot about the lights behavior. I think I could try to provide some timelapse video. I find them useful also.

Ladd

Enlightened
For what its worth, I like to see detailed photos of the construction of the light. The knurling, threads, switch cover, and if possible the driver and the led(s). As mentioned above, the graphs and measurements are also important. That said, any honest attempt is much better than no review.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Good info to upgrade your reviews. Have read your your Nitecore review and it is ok for movement to Flashlight Reviews. Not Selfbuilt quality yet, but looking good.

Bill

stephenk

Enlightened
Don't worry too much about number of replies. Headlamp forum tends to be quieter for starters. If there has already been another thread on a light then the review may get less replies. Finally, the popularity of a light may also affect the number of replies.

ven

Flashaholic
Had a quick read through the RC09( time not on my side ) and honestly it's great ! Set out nicely and easy to read/follow. You have done a real good job there.

Several things to maybe why no comments, some will have a read and think no more of it or may simply feel they might not have anything to add so why post. Crazy bit is, you could have a quiet 6m then go crazy next year as a price reduction on the light(example). In my case I missed it, and if no one comments it does not get a bump for others to read......just thoughts and certainly don't give up.
Really appreciate your time and effort, members like you are what helps make cpf a great place and all adds info for now and the future :).

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
D6859, it's apparent to me you put a lot of effort and time into those reviews. Good job!
I don't think they are lacking in quality at all. The format is clean and easy to follow. They just need runtime, output, and lux measurements to be even more informative to readers.
Personally, I get my CPF fix by scrolling through the "What's New" tab and locating threads of interest, so it's possible that I have missed a lot of new threads. Also, like others have mentioned, sometimes people click on review threads only to find that the lights don't interest them. For example, I have zero interest in the 2 lights you've reviewed. In fact, I think I have zero interest in some 70% to 80% of the recent lights mentioned on CPF.

Keep up the good work. Thank you.

D6859

Enlightened
Thank you all for your feedback! I think I've got the motivation I need for writing the reviews.

The next review is going to be more interesting for both you amd me. I guess TK15UE will be more popular but it seems I've got some pre-production sample of the flashlight. It came without any labels pinted on and without package or any accessories except for 2xCR123A. It means I've got less things to document so I can concentrate on the flashlight. I wish I could measure the output somehow. I could also make a comparison review with Armytek Dobermann Pro.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I suggest that you PM Selfbuilt for info on doing output measurements. He does use bounce with a light meter, and a light box.

Bill

D6859

Enlightened
I suggest that you PM Selfbuilt for info on doing output measurements. He does use bounce with a light meter, and a light box.

Bill

Thank you Bill for botj your advice and accepting my review. I may contact selfbuilt later. At the moment I don't have time to built and calibrate my own light box. If I am able to continue my hobby in flashlight reviews after my 3rd review, I'll consider going through the trouble. Of course I could ask some photographer for lux meter to borrow for a start

bykfixer

Flashaholic
700 views says plenty. No comments? Eh, don't sweat it. The number of views indicates interest.

As an evaluator who does "impression" threads I'm not going for the "pro" reviewer. There are plenty of those already.

I would say start out small, targeting a different audience than say Self-Built or Subwoofer.

Create your own distinct style. The pros have a distinct style that works for them.

Give it time. At first you may do a few with no input from others. A trouble with light after light showing up is threads in portions of the site move down the page in just a few hours and by page 2 it goes into the abyss of forgotten threads. Sometimes in just a couple of days.
If you dare, bump it with an additional comment or just add to it. That may sound self-serving. But if your intention is to help others make informed decisions then keeping it on the current board is a good thing imo.

Regarding beam shots. No need for an SLR quality photo. Celphones are fine. But I'd say include points of reference to indicate spill vs spot, or how the edges look etc.
Meter it where the item you are shining the light on is visible. Folks will know how bright it is or isn't based on your included numbers.
But how well will it light your say... back yard? Will it light the cul-de-sac at the end of a roadway? Will it blind you in close up cases? Let your beam shots tell a story beyond the tint.

Your reviews are fine like they are but....
Imo they appear to be following other styles already used. Changing a font, underlining items, colors in places bring out pizaz over all black and white.

And put yourself in the brain of the audience you are targeting.
If nobody comments don't sweat it. Like I said 700 views speaks volumes.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey D6859, I really appreciate the effort you put into your reviews, and I agree with those above that they are very good.

I must also agree that the essential elements in any great review are bit of a pull down or close look at quality, measured outputs and runtimes, beam shots, comparison with other lights of the class and pros and cons.

I can only imagine the amount of work required to put all of that together, but you are clearly doing a lot of work already.

If you can get hold of a new release hot seller that would help! I certainly encourage you to continue your pursuits and apologise for not noticing your reviews when they appeared as they are certainly worth a comment to acknowledge them. I look forward to your next one. :)

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Hello D6859. I have not read your reviews as they are not lights that I have intrest in at this time.. Not ment in a bad way.
What I would like to see in reviews are comparisons to things I know and the listed luemens. I know a lot of the true flashaholics want raw data and charts, which is ok, but I don't know all that stuff. Also people show how brite a light is but I can not truly grasp just how brite.
How about compairing a new light aginst an old standard? Say to a Maglite 3D cell light's beam? Because many new folks can't grasp 300 luemens..... (Much less 1,000 or 2,500).

Just my two pacos and all ment in good spirts.

Lateck,

Edit update; Just looked at your Nitecore review, looks good. I just would not reply as it is not a light I am interested in at this time. But, good review.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hello D6859. I have not read your reviews as they are not lights that I have intrest in at this time.. Not ment in a bad way.
What I would like to see in reviews are comparisons to things I know and the listed luemens. I know a lot of the true flashaholics want raw data and charts, which is ok, but I don't know all that stuff. Also people show how brite a light is but I can not truly grasp just how brite.
How about compairing a new light aginst an old standard? Say to a Maglite 3D cell light's beam? Because many new folks can't grasp 300 luemens..... (Much less 1,000 or 2,500).

Just my two pacos and all ment in good spirts.

Lateck,

Edit update; Just looked at your Nitecore review, looks good. I just would not reply as it is not a light I am interested in at this time. But, good review.

Very valuable input.
You are part of the audience.

D6859

Enlightened
Thank you for the input! I will read all the comments again later when writing the review.

TK15UE is working with me at Ilosaari rock festival. I now regret that I didn't take the photos before because light has suffered two falls on the ground and has been used in rain (checking id). My first impression is that I really like this light :) Now I should sleep. 13 hour shift waiting for me tomorrow.

ChibiM

Enlightened
For runtime graphs you could buy a cheap lux meter. And writedown the lux number every x minutes and put it in a graph. Later i took a sort of time lapse , set my camera to automatically take a picture of the light and lux meter so i didnt need to stay with the light the whole time, plus it was nice to seethe output change overtime in the pictures and added that to my reviews as well

On the other side its about making a name. People tend to post in threads of people they know, admire or want to be friends with. If people see your name more often they are more likely to reply to your threads. Then its not merely aboutthe review but about the person. If you look around forums and even in daily life you can recognize this trend ;)
So try to get your hands on some new and cool,expensive stuff and youll sure to get some followers:)

Chozzehnwahn

Newly Enlightened
I would like to see this light compared to the dobermann pro. Looks like both have a 34 mm head diameter, but dobermann is rated much higher in throw. Would like to see if in fact the armytek outperforms the Fenix in real world use. Thnx

D6859

Enlightened
I would like to see this light compared to the dobermann pro. Looks like both have a 34 mm head diameter, but dobermann is rated much higher in throw. Would like to see if in fact the armytek outperforms the Fenix in real world use. Thnx

Unfortunately my Dobermann pro has off-centered LED. I was too lazy to return it because I knew I had got the last DP they had and I guess they would have sent me a Predator. I'm not sure how much it affects the hotspot. DP has much brighter beam because it is so narrow also the hotspot seems brighter.

dobermann_beam.jpg

Dobermann Pro

tk15ue_beam.jpg

TK15UE