Popcan lights fizzling out?

markr6

Flashaholic
Is it just me or do the smaller popcan lights seem to be losing their appeal?

Maybe it's due to smaller lights putting out more light? I know they have their place providing longer runtimes using 4x18650, but I feel like there's less and less interest around here than just a year ago.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
From all the reviews I have read on lights like the ThruNite TN4 (4AA light) etc, it looks like once people buy these lights, for the known size, it pretty much does everything from high lumen, big throw to firefly with very large low output run-times. It seems they know what they are going to use them for and how to carry the size and it seems like they are satisfied with them.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
i really have more lights then I care to admit to owning... :D but I must admit that I have a few tn4a lights scattered around places that I might need then. lol I love them. easy to feed AA batts and yet easy to carry.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me: I never really thought much about it, but now I do & they never really fit the bill. I own/owned a few of them. Yes, they have a purpose. They can be lumen wall of light monsters. Which I do LOVE! However, I guess to me the Cons out Weigh the Pros: they are just hard to carry for me, they won't fit many pockets, some roll when you lay them down, drop them and damage a floor or counter. Just to name a few.
I don't know. It is hard for me to explain, I like em, but they are not really practical for most light usages. So it is a lot of money tied up in something I may only use a few times a year, if I remember I have it after my anal retentive personality finds 4 fully charged, matching cells with similar voltages to use.
While they are a impressive display of a fist of funky lumens, for the same bucks (in some cases) I can get a HDS or a Haiku, and I can literally carry it 24/7 365 and I don't feel like I have a 5lb sledge hammer in my pocket.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really care for them. I have a SWM D40A that is neutral white with a beautiful tint and that is probably the only reason I keep it. I justify it as one of my few lights that actually takes AA batteries and it will tail stand and serve as a lantern if need be. But I won't take it with me most of the time because its too big to pocket carry.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me: I never really thought much about it, but now I do & they never really fit the bill. I own/owned a few of them. Yes, they have a purpose. They can be lumen wall of light monsters. Which I do LOVE! However, I guess to me the Cons out Weigh the Pros: they are just hard to carry for me, they won't fit many pockets, some roll when you lay them down, drop them and damage a floor or counter. Just to name a few.
I don't know. It is hard for me to explain, I like em, but they are not really practical for most light usages. So it is a lot of money tied up in something I may only use a few times a year, if I remember I have it after my anal retentive personality finds 4 fully charged, matching cells with similar voltages to use.
While they are a impressive display of a fist of funky lumens, for the same bucks (in some cases) I can get a HDS or a Haiku, and I can literally carry it 24/7 365 and I don't feel like I have a 5lb sledge hammer in my pocket.

What he said.

Although I'm not anal retentive. I have some big lights - Mag sized (Mag mods Convoy L6, 2x32650 and 2x26650) & and a S6330vn (3x18650).

Given I travel alot - EDC is the way to go....

Danielsan

Enlightened
Those cola can lights are my favourite shape for a light with more than 2 cells. I hate lights with the typical mag lite shape. Maybe the flashlight companies dont offer new ones anymore but i prefer them but i just like lights with only one cell even more, smaller EDC lights. So if you want a 5000 Lumen monster you have to buy a cola can light or the mag l. style.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think you hit the nail on the head markr with the point about smaller lights being so bright these days.

I liked what Lightlover said a while back (paraphrasing here) "10 years from now folks will ask for lights that won't fit in their jacket pocket" or something like that...

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep around my Nitecore TM11 which I bought five years ago as a reminder of how fast the flashlight does change.

Today my most used lights are 26650 battery lights.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
As far as the traditional 4x18650 TN36 type popcan lights. Maybe one factor is that there's not much more that can be done to improve on them due to thermal limitations. The TN36UT @ 7,500 lumens gets hot pretty quick and pretty much represents a ceiling for any practical thermal specs. Those who are fans of the format either have it already or already conceded to not get it. As far as something new and exciting? Not sure where you would go from there. Maybe the Eagletac Mx30L4xc qualifies as a new and exciting traditional popcan light with 12x Nichia but then there's already the Noctigon Meteor. 4x18650 popcan lights don't really have room for a real reflector and still be considered popcan lights so it kind of limits the play field. Pretty sure that something will come along to rekindle that fire though.

thejrod

Newly Enlightened
I'm a fan of the 7.5oz mini-pop can size, but not the full 12oz pop can size. My TN4A Hi is awesome, but even it is still a bit bulky. Can't imagine carrying around a 4 x 18650 light when a 1x18650 is >1000lm and so compact. If I need runtime, I can easily carry 1-2 extra batteries. If I need more output, well then I guess the bigger lights are useful, but other than novelty, the smaller lights satisfy most of my uses.

low

Enlightened
I have the Eagletac MX25L3c Nichia, I use it every night, would love to have the Eagletac MX30L4XC, but at close to $200 I will take a pass on it and wait until someone uses the XP70 with the rocking 96 cri. But until then, I'm done. [h=2][/h]

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only popcan light is a Noctigon M43.

Great light... but I pretty much never use it. It's just too big. A single-cell EDC light is basically all I need. And these days you can get 3000 lumens from a tiny light powered by an 18500 light with the right mods. Sure I get more lumens with the M43 (6300 lumens) and more throw (73K lux) ... but I never actually need that much. Only thing I ever used the M43 for was helping water color paint try.

wolfgaze

Enlightened
If/when I end up moving to a mountainous region - I hope to get my hands on a Noctigon Meteor with Nichia 219C (Enhanced Throw) emitters...

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only popcan light is a Noctigon M43.

Great light... but I pretty much never use it. It's just too big. A single-cell EDC light is basically all I need. And these days you can get 3000 lumens from a tiny light powered by an 18500 light with the right mods. Sure I get more lumens with the M43 (6300 lumens) and more throw (73K lux) ... but I never actually need that much. Only thing I ever used the M43 for was helping water color paint try.

What single called light can you get 3000lm from? And what's a 18500?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading through this thread makes me wonder: It would be cool if a vendor/manufacture would chime in with some sales statistics. Like maybe they were hot in 2015 & 15, but sales dropped in 16. Or my speculation could be totally off and sales is still strong.

More random thoughts:
I am sure you folks have met some nonflashaholics that see a Soda style light in action and are impressed and think, I have to have one. So they may still sell to the general population? I think what I am trying to say is many of us (CPF members) have (probably) graduated from having to own the newest and latest 10K lumen light that takes eight 50 amp cells to run Mega Turbo Blaster Retina Melting Mode for 5 minutes.

Like already mentioned here: Not that we still may not want or buy one for giggles, it is just that why not get a 3500 lumen 18650/350 flame thrower to show off that fits in your jean pocket. Or maybe we opt for a fine piece of flashlight artwork loaded with some luminous devices? Or maybe we want that bomb proof, long running, works no matter what 18650 light?

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
What single called light can you get 3000lm from? And what's a 18500?

Actually, not sure if it's 3000 lumens. Might be 2000. I have no way to tell.

A few months ago I extensively modded an old Sunwayman C10R. I changed the emitter to triple XPL-HI with a Carclo 10507 optic and replaced the driver with a direct-drive FET driver. I also bored out the battery tube and replaced the CR123 with a longer and wider Efest purple IMR 18500 cell.

An 18500 is basically a shorter 18650. It's the same length as a 14500 (AA), but as wide as an 18650. Holds around 1000 mAh, so about 1/3 the capacity of an 18650. I purchased the cell from Mountain Electronics.

This little light has enormous output while being smaller than any 18650 light. Makes a great EDC. Naturally runtime at max power is very short due to overheating issues, but that's ok. I rarely need extended runtime at turbo. Lower modes are sufficient for most uses.

As far as other single-cell lights that can output 3000 lumens or close to it: I suspect my Manker E14 modded with quad XPL-HI, spring bypass, H17F FET driver, and low resistance IMR 18650 30Q cell probably can.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Maybe it's due to smaller lights putting out more light? ...
Smaller light putting out more light than a TN36UTVn? 13,400 lumens, lighting up everything in front of me. Not the same feeling a tiny pencil beam lighting up a tiny spot far, far away. But still a thrilling feeling, for me, to have my near environs all high-power lit up.

Meteor M43: Same as above, but stubbier package. A thrill to have and use, for me. An enduring classic.

Niwalker MM15MBVn: Length in between the M43 and the TN36UT, another enduring classic. These three lights, for me, put the excitement in flashlight collecting.

My next smaller light is the Acebeam EC50Vn, 3,100 lumens. If anyone knows of a light midway in between the TN36UTVn and the Acebeam EC50Vn in power and head diameter, let me know. Until then, I shall patiently wait.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still like popcans myself I have 4 of them ranging from just under 4,000 lumens to 12,000 lumens. On lower modes, they bathe your surroundings in a soft, even glow that no smaller light can do. Then of course they can give you daylight, for about a minute or two. ;)