On the road M3

narmattaru

Enlightened
M3 was sent me as a review example from Gearbest. Product page is here
i`d like to apologise for mistakes in advance, i have no chance to practise written English besides reviewing flashlights here. Или ты хочешь чтобы я писал тут по-русски, tovarish?

The sell cold and neutral white variants, each of them in form of single or full-pack (with battery and charger)

though On the road is a newbe at flashlight market, but it seems to be that it managed to release some definetely decent models right from the start.
the one i reivew is obviously inspired by Olight S10.

Stated characteristics:
b0bf20.jpg

Package is nice. Not motley, eco-style. Inside are : light itself, charger, soft case, lanyard,battery and 2 o-rings.
f143ec.jpg

2686bb.jpg
c24f27.jpg

M3 looks good. Tiny and well-buit, solid. the only thing which visually doesnt fit is white plastic button. Metal one will look better. But once it works as indicator, there is no other choice without unreasonable increasing price.

Gerbest calls color - "titanium grey". Quite unusual , but attractive color.
72a432.jpg

f7192f.jpg

ba11e9.jpg

A lot of grease.
ed4800.jpg

There is no spring from driver side, which is caused by small size of M3. I suppose engineers could make it liittle bit larger to house at least 1-2 coils of spring.
1d6a07.jpg

Tail has magnet within.
869d15.jpg

Though M3 is so small, grip is good and convenient.
5ac1dd.jpg

Waterproof, cheers!
04482e.jpg

I made a reall effort to unscrew bezel. unsuccesfully, just scratched it hardly. Rerlector is OP, about 1 cm deep.
9971a2.jpg

М3 supports 16340 and R\CR123.

I inspected 16340 from package with Opus charger and in discharge-refresh mode i got impressive value - 754mah.
c7db36.jpg

But charger makes the score even, coz it charges `till unacceptable 4.31v.
efd3d1.jpg

UI.
reasonable and convinient.
296083.jpg

long click - on\off to prevent accidental activation.

1 click from in "on"— brightnesses swithcing.
2 clicks from any stare - instant turbo
3 clicks from any stare - instant Srobe, then beacon then SOS

I got used to this UI almost in coiple of minutes.

How it works.
i think that brightness level are designed reasonable, though i`d like to see something like 0.5-0.8 lum.

Now interesting part. Stated 600-900 —lumens is good,yes. But there is no wonders in this market. Once it`s brighter - it gets hottter. Here i photo i measured. In middle modes there is also body temperature, not only head. In first 2 mode body and head are almost the same. In turbo there is no difference because you cannon handle M3 barehand anyway.
c0ea90.jpg

So in reality you can use only low, mid, high for a long time. Max and Turbo are just for WOW! or to use in 10-30 secs, to take a look what`s going on in distance further then 15-20 meters. Handle M3 longer and you will smell BBQ without any grill near -).

This is what i measured.
2e766a.jpg

Brightness was measured at another review here at CPF.
Ultra low: 2.3 lumens, low: 114 lumens, med: 224 lumens, hi: 456 lumens, turbo: 658 lumens
I used led calculator, and got:
Ultra low: out of range, low: 120, med: 261 lumens, hi: 516 lumens, turbo: 774 lumens

I`m ready to assume that cold white variant may reach something slighly below stated 900 lumens.

There is mode memory, just hold brightness for >3 sec.
I havent` found any PWM shimmering.

Light is well stabilised, M3 keeps brigtness till the very end, then it just disappeared (after 1-2 minutes of button blinking)
IMG_0664.gif

I checked battery after lights went offf. There remained 2,96v, good. M3 does`t drain battery to the very bottom.

It takes about 3 minutes for light to fell to max level from turbo. That makes no change to user, `cause M3 body gets hot after 30-40 seconds.
turbo-m3.gif

bimshots.gif

Constant brightness and temperature are good for distance of 15-20 meters. For constant work at more distant range there are a lot of other bigger lights run with 1865-26650.

15-20 meters range example
10-15m.gif

about 50meters
50m.gif

Conclusion.

one of very 1st products from On the road is good. charger with it`s 4.31v is not cool, but as we are discussing flashlight, not chargers, it can be scipped.

For price\quality\functionality ratio this seems to be really interesting product for those who like 16340 size lights.

now there is a flash-sale for M3 at Gearbest.

narmattaru

Enlightened
it does

but it looks good and works no worse then S10. if it was worse than original, i`d have written.

i suppose that if we have a chance to save extra 20-25 bucks and loose nothing, why not?

DMS1970

Enlightened
it does

but it looks good and works no worse then S10. if it was worse than original, i`d have written.

i suppose that if we have a chance to save extra 20-25 bucks and loose nothing, why not?

My apologies, thank you for the review! it was very well written. I'll still stick with olight, on many group buys they are cheaper than the imitators!

markr6

Flashaholic
Looks like a nice neutral white from the pics. Can you get an Olight S1 Neutral without spending a ton on the Ti version? I haven't seen that option.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Olight has a problem, I am sure they will take legal action. Taking an existing technology/product and making it better and selling it cheaper is nothing new. Microsoft has done it and so on and so on. That is how we thrive as a civilization -- current generation learns from and improves upon what previous generations had done.

konifans

Enlightened
This is selling in China and as you know everyone is copying everyone there and legal action is useless there.
This is a Olight S10 copy and I got mine almost 2 years ago before I knew Olight.
However after after a few months (just used a few times) I could not adjust the ouput level again = always on high mode = not working.
I threw it into the rubbish bin.

DSC09877.jpg

narmattaru

Enlightened
so this on NOT a new company? is their website is down and for i haven`t heard of them before, i made an assumption that they are new at market.
some GB and and fasstech just start selling them out of sudden.

on the road X5 will be shipped to me next week for review.will post it here.
i`ll try to ask for X6 as well. it promises good light for its price, i suppose

andygold

Newly Enlightened
I'm relatively new to lithium ion batteries, and their use in non-continuously running devices. What I'm curious about is the 30 minute listing for high mode. If I turn the light on for 30 seconds and turn it off, I get 920 lumens the first time, if the battery is full.. If I keep turning it on for 30 seconds at a time, with lets say an hour in between, will I continue to get around 920 lumens each time ( for 60 cycles....60 cycles of 30 seconds=30 minutes), or will the light put out less lumens each time I turn the light on, until there' not enough juice to hit high mode?

narmattaru

Enlightened
it depends on driver.
some keeps full brightness and then turns off (short runtime)
but more often you can expect decrease of brightness with decrease of voltage.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Your E is fine. I got one of these lights about 9 months ago or so and it has worked great. I agree with the approx. 700 lumen turbo rating. for the $15 I paid at the time, I have zero complaints. Quite tiny and bright.