Black Mass

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black Mass (2015) 4.5/5 stars

The film, directed by Scott Cooper and Starring Johnny Depp, chronicles the life of (1970-80's) Boston gangster James "Whitey" Bulger.

I had already watched a documentary on Bulger so I wasn't overly interested in seeing Black Mass, but I gotta say it grew on me as the story progressed. By the end I rate it above many, if not most, of the all-time greatest films of its genre.

Not only is this Depp's best ever performance IMO, but I'll go further and say that his portrayal of Bulger rivals much of the best work of actors the likes of De Niro, Day-Lewis and Brando. fyi Before yesterday I wouldn't have considered Depp to be among those of the highest echelon in his chosen profession.

MUST WATCH.. The images of Bulger as the credits roll seem common initially then gradually become more interesting, until finally, chilling. Scott Cooper nailed it! (Music by Junkie XL)

Depp IS Jimmy Bulger

20160716_231344.jpg

20160716_231156_HDR.jpg

20160716_230915.jpg

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you mention Black Mass..... I just watched it this night and I too liked it very much. I considered Depp to be something for the Pirate of the Caribbian movies and the likes but he deliveres a really good performance here. Recommended movie.

Eric

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Johnny Depp was just getting past that 21 Jump St monicker when he took on the Pirates role.
Did he shoot his career in the foot?

Well maybe the social elites might scoff at him. But how many times have you found yourself quoting from the movie Blow?

Johnny Depp in my view is one of the most talented actors of the last 50 years. Maybe ever.
He plays very convincing rolls no matter whether it drama, comedy, action, or scary.

Black Mass is just another example.