Klarus XT2C XPL-HI Flashes

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I would like to seek your thoughts on an issue I am facing with my new XT2C-XPL-HI.

After I insert the battery and tighten the tail cap, the light will let out a flash just before it tightens up.

Is this an abnormality and what is the reason for this flash or flashes?

Any of you experience it with your units?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
kj2, any with electronic switches? Quite worrying actually.

kj2

Flashaholic
As I said, don't remember which ones have that. But many of my lights have an electronic (side) side, so could be possible.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks kj2

Any other XT2C (ver. 1-5 ) users experience this flashing issue?

430Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Does it flash every time you install the battery or just the one time?

I have the 725 lumen XM-L2 U2 pre-paddle version(3?) and I don't have a flashing issue when installing the battery.
When it was new though, it had horrible flickering but cleaning and lubing the threads solved that issue.
Make sure your threads and related surfaces are clean + make sure the tail cap internals are screwed down tight too.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Hi 430Scuderia,

Thanks for your feedback.

It will flash each time I install a battery and tighten the tail cap.

Threads have been cleaned and re-lubed and retaining ring for tail has been tightened.

Even made sure both head and tail are the right direction.

From what I have seen on youtube reviews, the lights do not exhibit that flash when the tail cap in tightened after loading the battery.

430Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
Recommend you contact the vendor whom you purchased from and asked them to test other units to see if the same flash occurs.

If they don't provide a satisfactory resolution for you, request a refund before a stated grace period expires for returns.

Don't give your hard earned money to manufacturers/vendors who's products don't meet your expectations.

If you're still interested in the light after the fact, contact Klarus to see what they have to say.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks 430Scuderia, Will do exactly that.

I have in fact contacted Klarus and provided them the information requested.

Still waiting for a reply from them.

Maybe I will drop them another email to give them a nudge.

Klarus has got some quality issues recently.

I am happy with my XT11S, fingers crossed that does not break.

Thanks again for the input and advice.

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Just as another data point, I have three XT2C lights, including the XP-L version, and none exhibits this behavior. I agree with suggestions above re: cleaning the threads, switch, etc., and promptly letting both Klarus and the vendor know of the issue. Klarus has a 2 year warranty, and many vendors have a 30 day return period, so you want to be mindful of these times.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input BillSWPA. I contacted Klarus and they told me that the flash is normal!?!?
I have cleaned both the threads and the behavior still persists.
Maybe I will try contacting them again.
Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

vaughnsphotoart

Newly Enlightened
Mine flashes just like yours. XP-L hi version.

I have no other complaints about the light though. The beam, handling, and performance are all top notch. Definitely leans towards the tactical side (full brightness when turned on, instant strobe access via paddle switch).

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a number of lights that flash when I change the battery and I'm re-tightening the tube. NEver even occurred to me that that might be a problem! It's never been a symptom of any deeper problem on any light I've had.

You guys who have the XPL HI version of the XT2C, and also have the XML2 version... do you believe Klarus's intensity specs, 14.7kcd? I ask because, I could be mis-remembering, but that was pretty close to the numbers they're publishing for the XML2 version (14.5kcd)... I'm becoming more and more hopeful that they simply didn't re-test (or re-publish) the XPL HI version's intensity, and that the intensity is actually on par with competitive lights this size.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input vaughnsphotoart, looks like I'm not alone with this flashing phenomenon.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Hey Joe, I was told by Klarus that it is a function to indicate that a battery in inserted. I don't see this function listed on the user manual.

BillSWPA who has 3 XT2C's replied earlier that none of his flashlights exhibit that behavior.

My XT11S does not have the "flash function" too.

Klarus QC seems to be a little iffy for me recently, I have had a G30 and Mi7 fail on me.

I am not sure about the intensity specs Joe, I don't have measuring equipment.

But from my knowledge the XPL-Hi should throw a little further with a tighter beam and the XML2 should be slightly more floody?? I could be wrong here.

For other lights, the feedback is that the Mi7 lumens specs might be a bit on the high side.

With that being said, I still think the G30 and Mi7 are nice lights.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Joe, I was told by Klarus that it is a function to indicate that a battery in inserted. I don't see this function listed on the user manual.

I believe that ... As I said, I have a few lights that do this, never any problem... Thanks for the verification!

I am not sure about the intensity specs Joe, I don't have measuring equipment.

But from my knowledge the XPL-Hi should throw a little further with a tighter beam and the XML2 should be slightly more floody?? I could be wrong here.

Yes, exactly! Except it's not "a little" tighter or floodier. In a similar size head, XPL HIs seem to be doing 50%-100% more candelas than XML2... The difference is substantial. For reference, the Nitecore whatever-it-isGT is almost exactly the same size, and if I remember right, doing 25kcd. Klarus's 14.7kcd is really terrible -- but, as I said, I'm skeptical that those are the right specs.

Or, in other words, if someone had both an XML2 and an XPL HI version of thsi light, they don't need measuring equipment. The magnitude of difference in candela that the two lights SHOULD have is easily detectable by eye.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Ah ok now I get it.

What you're saying is that the XPL-HI should be putting out above 20K cd instead of 14.7K cd.

You could contact Klarus with your concerns and to find out the specs for the XPL-Hi before making a purchase.

If memory serves me right, on their spec sheet the last version of the XML2 should put around 890 lumens?

So if the XPL-Hi advertises being able to push out 1100 lumens, you should be able to see a very slight difference when white wall hunting.

I do not have both so I can't test and report back here, then again the beam patterns might be different so it might be difficult to tell?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you got it. And you're probably right,I'll have to contact Klarus. I've been a bit of a gadfly on this topic , hoping to draw Klarus out and (hopefully) get corrected on the specs, but they don't respond even on their own forum. They do seem responsive to email though.

Corzy

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you got it. And you're probably right,I'll have to contact Klarus. I've been a bit of a gadfly on this topic , hoping to draw Klarus out and (hopefully) get corrected on the specs, but they don't respond even on their own forum. They do seem responsive to email though.

I used to think that too till they stopped replying and addressing my concerns on the flashing.

It does bother me when some have the issue and others do not.

On the forum I do not see much being done on support, perhaps I am just one of those unlucky few.

This day and age, a company wanting to move forward should address concerns whether big or small from your customers.

Perhaps, its just that some are more important than others or some dealers are better than others.

People can judge for themselves where to spend their money.

I hope you get the information you are looking for from Klarus.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP Klarus is full of it. They just dont want to take a return. I am hoping you bought the light of a reputable online retailer. Take the issue up with the retailer and either get a refund or an exchange. "To signal there is a battery in the light"?? Seriously Klarus? There is a short in the light somewhere. Where I could not tell you but that is what is happening. Yes XP-L HI vs XML2 in the same light XP-L HI will have twice the candela.