Is the streamlight 3c 10 led overdriven?

jason978

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have read that the streamlight 4aa 7 led light is very overdriven. Is the 3c 10 led light overdriven like that too? I have noticed that mine(10led) gets warm after about 20 minutes. Thanks

Jason

SockMan

Newly Enlightened
When the head of a flashlight (especially a plastic one) gets warm, then that is probably a clear sign that the LEDs are overdriven. When driven at spec, I don't think Nichia's get very warm.

I have heard somewhere that the 3C is overdriven, but not as hard as the 4AA. But, I can't confirm this.

StuU

Enlightened
I have the 3C and have been using it for the last few months. Light is a very bright white even flood that is perfect for many tasks. Nearly indestructible. No sign of angry blue in the beam. I haven't been able to detect any noticeable overheating or even mild warmth. My use of the light is not more than 5-10 minutes at a time. One of the most useful of led lights.

Raven

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]

StuU said:

I have the 3C and have been using it for the last few
months. Light is a very bright white even flood...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious. Does the 3c 10 led have the same weird kaleidoscope affect that circles the outer beam on the 4aa 7 led?

Raven

StuU

Enlightened
My 3C doesn't appear to have any kaleidoscope effect. Seems like a very even white flood. Little if any blue in the beam.

I'm not aware of the kaleidoscope effect on the SL7 4AA. However, if you hold any of these led lights very close to a wall, some remnants will be visible. However, these disappear quickly as distance increases.

Stu

Raven

Enlightened
The edges of my SL7 4aa have a weird "diamond" affect that circles the edge of the beam. It's the individual reflections of the seven leds, and how they reflect off each other.

At least I think so.

Raven

jason978

Newly Enlightened
just to follow-up, the next day I turned it on and left it on for many hours, ok, days. It never got warm again.