Surefire Outdoorsman E2LAA Flashlight

Tribull

Enlightened
Hey All, I have a very simple question. Would this torch be considered obsolete by today's standards as far as the led goes? A guy at work has one and I dig it, yes it's overpriced now too.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't all Surefires fall into that category of overpiced? :laughing:

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
IMHO , you like the light, you have the money for it........who cares if it has the latest led! It's a tool and a tough one at that, get it, use it and enjoy it. Not sure which led it has, I have one of my early vinh lights with an xpe inside.......still like it and don't care that the led has been superseded. Ones that are better performing or more efficient....... It does the job I want it to great and will not be going anywhere .

Surefire wise I do prefer the p60 compatible ones for the flexibility, so this can be swapped/changed for various drop ins . Be it throw, flood and everything in between . Some of my later lights have been the c2,6p and m2........ Classics imo and will never grow old .............

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
IMHO , you like the light, you have the money for it........who cares if it has the latest led! It's a tool and a tough one at that, get it, use it and enjoy it. Not sure which led it has, I have one of my early vinh lights with an xpe inside.......still like it and don't care that the led has been superseded. Ones that are better performing or more efficient....... It does the job I want it to great and will not be going anywhere .

Surefire wise I do prefer the p60 compatible ones for the flexibility, so this can be swapped/changed for various drop ins . Be it throw, flood and everything in between . Some of my later lights have been the c2,6p and m2........ Classics imo and will never grow old .............

AMEN!!

And if it says anything.. I still use my old 45L E2L Outdoorsman for somethings!! I have many better lights.. many

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Are any of Malkoff's drop ins compatible with it.

No, it has a sealed head.

The EL2 AA is an outstanding light, rugged, reliable, and it shows how useful 80 lumens can be. Lumen chasers and those who want the next new thing need not apply, but this is a great SHTF light. I've owned two over the years, now I regret selling them.

bigfoot

Enlightened
The E2L AA is a great light. All the abilities of a regular E2L, but with a slightly longer body that takes AA cells. Like an earlier poster, I keep one around just in case the SHTF.

It's certainly not a barn burner compared to other lights, but it is regulated and has a long runtime. Looking at SureFire's website, I don't see it listed presently, but I know I spotted it in their 2016 catalog. Just speculating here, but perhaps they are working on an updated version?

kj2

Flashaholic
Have mine now for about a week, and like it very much. Yes, it hasn't the latest features but 80 lumens is way enough for up close indoors and even around the house use. Does have a throwy beam. Simple UI and should run for hours and hours. Glad I picked one up :)

Tribull

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the input, but given the current price which is just shy of $200 I'm probably going to go with a Malkoff Mdc 1xaa to go with my Mdc 2xaa.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the input, but given the current price which is just shy of $200 I'm probably going to go with a Malkoff Mdc 1xaa to go with my Mdc 2xaa.

I bought one for me and one for my dad brand new from online stores for much less than that a couple of years back... I'm sure there are still deals out there if you look hard enough. I also bought my dad an MDC SHO so he can swap heads if he needs anything brighter, but he seems pretty content with the stock SF with the F04 Diffuser.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the lumen race combined with newer more efficient LEDs result in several times brighter models the EL2AA provides a rock solid flashlight with a simple UI, long runtime and without heat issues. It works good with every AA battery and while the brightness does not compete with car headlights it,s adequate for many common tasks. Obsolete? Absolutely not in my opinion. It,s one of the first light in my list over lights I would choose when I really want to trust that it works in an extreme situation.

Last edited: