Zebralight SC63 Owners: Still Loving It?

MoonlightMode

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, this is my first post after many years of reading CPF. I've learned a ton because of the wisdom and generosity of the members of this community, so let me start by saying thanks!

An Olight S1 or Fenix E05 is in my pocket all the time and lately--probably because of you all--I've gotten the itch to try out a higher-end light. The SC63 is attractive to me for its relatively small size; its wide choice of lumen levels, from very high to very low; and its super-long runtimes. The finicky battery requirements don't bug me, at least in theory.

Now that the initial flurry of excitement that accompanies the release of a new light has come and gone, I'm interested to hear how those of you who own this light feel about it. Still loving it? Is it still in your pocket or has it been retired to a drawer? Over time, what have you found to be its strong and weak points?

All of which is to say, is it a solid, dependable choice that's suited for real life, day-in, day-out carry and use or is it more of a specialty boutique light that's more impressive on the spec sheet than in hand? I realize these are totally subjective questions and there are a hundred different correct answers, but I'd be grateful for people's thoughts.

ktsl

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to jump in, since I didn't buy it:shrug: But the reason is it doesn't support cr123a very well.
My outdoor system includes a 1xcr123a headlamp and a 2xcr123a or 18650 flashlight. I have a bunch of cr123a's in my backpack.

TCY

Enlightened
I've been carrying its older brother the SC62w with me wherever I go for almost 2 years now, still loving it.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned a 63w since right after release and use it daily. Great for around the house, outdoors, walking, hiking, impressing your friends, and most other edc tasks I come across. It has a good balance of spill to hotspot. The battery isn't an issue to me and the smaller size is a plus as well. No issues at all with reliability, none of my Zebralights have had issues. Tint is good on mine for a neutral, not as good as a Nichia or my MK3 HI by ZL but still a good tint.

It doesn't support anything other than unprotected flat top 18650. Cr123 will not work in it even though the voltage range is up to 6.0v. For some the lack of protected 18650 or cr123 support may be a negative but for my uses its not. It also heats up rather quickly on the highest modes with PID kicking in after about 30-45 seconds depending upon environmental conditions. Otherwise I can't really think of any other drawbacks of this light, it really is a great little light.

markr6

Flashaholic
I recently reduced my ZL torch collection to SC63w, SC600w III HI and SC52w.

I still like the SC63w. I used to prefer more floody lights, but I'm wishing it had slightly more throw/focused hotspot. Not much though. It's a great light and perfect companion to the SC600 HI.

It will certainly get hot on the highest mode, but that's to be expected. Look at the size of this thing!! You can't have it all, but you can get close. The tint is pretty nice on mine, but could be a bit cooler or less yellow. But again, hardly worth mentioning.

The battery requirement thing still perplexes me (see old threads about all the complaints). From a safety perspective, there's really nothing to worry about. From a cost perspective, even if someone has 20 protected cells they want to use, what's another $7 to get an new, QUALITY, unprotected cell just for this light? You can do such and enjoy an awesome light...or complain to no end and miss out.

2xCR123 would be a nice option for some. Peraonlly, I don't like them. But I ran 2x123 in my old SC62w for about 5 minutes and it was fine. Who knows how long that would last though. But that was 2.7v-4.2v!! The SC63 is 2.7-6.0v, so I would be even less hesitant to use CR123 cells in this one. Still, not something I want to rely on.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hi everyone, this is my first post after many years of reading CPF. I've learned a ton because of the wisdom and generosity of the members of this community, so let me start by saying thanks!

An Olight S1 or Fenix E05 is in my pocket all the time and lately--probably because of you all--I've gotten the itch to try out a higher-end light. The SC63 is attractive to me for its relatively small size; its wide choice of lumen levels, from very high to very low; and its super-long runtimes. The finicky battery requirements don't bug me, at least in theory.

Now that the initial flurry of excitement that accompanies the release of a new light has come and gone, I'm interested to hear how those of you who own this light feel about it. Still loving it? Is it still in your pocket or has it been retired to a drawer? Over time, what have you found to be its strong and weak points?

All of which is to say, is it a solid, dependable choice that's suited for real life, day-in, day-out carry and use or is it more of a specialty boutique light that's more impressive on the spec sheet than in hand? I realize these are totally subjective questions and there are a hundred different correct answers, but I'd be grateful for people's thoughts.
Hardly any for sale here so I would say they do!

DMS1970

Enlightened
I have owned a 63 (cool) for a while. If you purchase one, check with Skylumens (vihn) first, if they're in stock you will have it that week.

The 63 is the best combo of size/lumens/runtime you can get for sure. I do find out of convenience, I grab my S1 more often though for the smaller size. If you are used to toting an S1 around, you may find the 18650 powered light is a little more of a pain to carry. The UI on the olight is great, but add in the voltage check flashes on the ZL and it's perfect. I do prefer the large hotspot on my S2 to the 63, at 950 lumens on turbo, it looks as bright at the 63 over a larger area. If you cruise the group buys or find some dealer codes, you can get 2 S2 flashlights for the price of the 63. The S2 is bigger, like carrying 2 S1s.

In the modding section, someone asked if a 63 could be shortened for 18350 batteries. I don't think there was any positive outcome on that question, but that would be a pretty good light also!

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 63 is the best combo of size/lumens/runtime you can get for sure. I do find out of convenience, I grab my S1 more often though for the smaller size. If you are used to toting an S1 around, you may find the 18650 powered light is a little more of a pain to carry...

In the modding section, someone asked if a 63 could be shortened for 18350 batteries. I don't think there was any positive outcome on that question, but that would be a pretty good light also!
A comparable Zebralight to the S1 it would be the SC32. Similar size, battery, and output.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Sc32w is a really nice light. I prefer infinite adjustment wheel lights but for its size it is amazing

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
A comparable Zebralight to the S1 it would be the SC32. Similar size, battery, and output.
And better runtime from what I can remember. The SC32w caused me to sell my S1. But then again the SC63w caused me to sell the SC32w. Not that much bigger in length but much more output and runtime. Still, the SC32(w) is a very nice light to have in that form factor. :)

DMS1970

Enlightened
I wasn't really comparing the S1 to the 63, just saying I find it a better fit in the pocket than even this super compact, top engineered 18650 model

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having begun my quest a year ago in May, I am still relatively new to modern LED flashlights. I mention this because it took me a while to fully appreciate how important neutral tint and high CRI are to me.

Now that ZebraLight has models like the ZebraLight H600Fd Mark III and ZebraLight H603d headlamps and the soon-to-be-available ZebraLight SC600Fd Mark III Plus flashlight, you can get these features in flashlights that also produce a lot of lumens.

High-CRI models like these are the ZebraLight products that interest me the most these days.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I have carried the SC63w everyday since it first came out. Love it. I use it a lot at work. It is a bruiser.

I EDC'd the SC62w before that and the SC60w before that. The SC6xw series is my sweet spot.

MoonlightMode

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a million for all the responses, guys. Really helpful. I think I'm going to have to give this one a try. The S2 is also a really attractive light feature for feature, but the amazing runtimes and firefly lows on the SC63 are calling to me.

tops2

Enlightened
I'll just throw in a small comment about pocketability..

I'm also a Olight S1 aluminium owner too and for "comfortable" pocket carry, I prefer the S1 all the time.

I don't have the SC63w, but have the Zebralight H600Fd headlamp (got a few weeks ago). The H600Fd is about the same size (slightly longer) and weight as the SC63w. The H600Fd isn't too large, and its comfortable enough for pocket carry..but coming from the S1, the H600Fd feels huge in comparison. The length AND diameter and weight of the S1 is just awesome.

I think my honeymoon period is over with the H600Fd, so most of the time for pocket EDC for the work week or out during daytime, I'm back to the S1. But when I know I'm going somewhere far or may be out late, I'll bring the H600Fd instead. If I had the SC63w I'll probably do the same.

Otherwise, the H600Fd is my most used light due to the tint and the Zebralight UI at night or when at home. Before getting the H600Fd, I have the SC5w and use that all the time too.

Warp

Enlightened
Thanks a million for all the responses, guys. Really helpful. I think I'm going to have to give this one a try. The S2 is also a really attractive light feature for feature, but the amazing runtimes and firefly lows on the SC63 are calling to me.

I doubt you'll be disappointed. I got my SC62w in November 2014 and it's been my EDC pocket light since then. The only thing that could get me to change from a ZL for EDC pocket right now would be if I decided I just had to have a tactical style UI with forward clicky on the tailcap. But for general just-because carry lumens it's hard to beat. If there was an SC63w at the time I purchased I may well have gone with it instead and I'd probably be saying the same thing right now about still being happy and carrying it.

I still use my old SC52w around the house at night. Well, mostly my wife now, but it's still used.

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
I've had my 63w since they began shipping past the first run.

I have an SC52w, and and H600 MKIIw, plus other lights.

For small carry, I prefer my SC52 to my Olight S1 because of the tint and UI.

For larger EDG with much more power and runtime, the SC63 is a fantastic light. It is more yellow than my other ZL's, but that's against a white wall. The tint when outdoors is beautiful.

I don't think you'll have any regrets. And they have a good return policy.

markr6

Flashaholic
For small carry, I prefer my SC52 to my Olight S1 because of the tint and UI.

I would agree. I picked up an S1 just because it was around $14 after discount and reward points. I can't believe anyone would like that light. Horrible CW tint. Horrible UI.