LED'S ruined my SFM6!!

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
LED\'S ruined my SFM6!!

For a while I have (wrongly) thought of the LED family as being a low battery, low performance way of lighting things.
I recently recieved my L5. This changed things around for me. The Fed-ex guy left a note on my door saying he tried to deliver a package but there wasn't anyone home. I drove and picked up. I opened the package in the parking lot. I was shocked at how much light it put out, but of course I was driving home and had to really test it when I got there.
I went for a walk with my new L5 and my M6 and could not believe how yellow my M6 was. It almost made me sick. Sure it put out more light, but at much less quality. I have had to come to terms that right now the M6 puts out more light, with less quality than the L5. As soon as a higher output SF LED light comes out, I will snatch up a pre order as fast as possible.

Rant off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LED\'S ruined my SFM6!!

Awful isnt it? You pay top dollar for the brightest/smallest incandecent light you can lay your hands on, and along comes this unassuming little yellow looking chip, and makes your $300 toy look like the batteries are about to die....
I dont use my Incan lamps in my M6 anymore either, i cant bear to look at them. I get the urge to change the batteries every 5 minutes, a sure way to financial ruin.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's no way I'm giving up my SF M6, though. Yes, my L6 is impressive, but you simply can't beat the "holy crap" factor when you power up the M6 with the HOLA. I have to admit that I do use my L6 more since it's a great walking light.

roguesw

Enlightened

yeah, cant bear to look at another incandescent anymore, the sickly yellow light just doesnt compare anymore,
nice white light from an led impresses me everytime i turn it on
and a big big plus for me is regulation, the fact that it runs at peak amount of light until the batteries cant handle it anymore, rather than a slow death of the incans

bwcaw

Enlightened

I hear ya. I would like to let you know that if you just can't stand your M6 anymore, you could send it to me. I would be glad to take it off your hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You never can have to many of them.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a big LED fan and a big L6 fan, but I have to admit that my new Tigerlight incan with rechargeable batteries throws off so much more light that it is now a cherished part of my flashlight collection. (All the rest are LEDs)

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
batterystation said:
ttran,
You mean the "HOLA crap" factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha...that's pretty creative! Did you come up with that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened

Here's a way that you can keep everybody happy:

1. Buy an L6 from Dan at TW (great service) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

2. Put your KL6 head on your M6 - the KLM6 will
give you many hours of quality LED light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

You can't lose!

It solves all of your problems! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get the 5 watt turbohead dropin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
God i love that light.

Gandalf

Enlightened

Funny; I just picked up an A2, after much debate with myself and my bank account, and it's replacing my L4 as my EDC light. The incandescant is certainly more yellow than the L4, but I miss the throw of the incandescant. And it's hard to beat having the 3 5mm LED's for lower light and long runtime. So I've just gone the opposite direction.

But then, I haven't personally seen a L5 or L6 yet; I know they have much better throw than the L4. But they are expensive, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif and too big to EDC, for me.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gandalf, pick up a PRT and put a Luxeon III in it, with a downboy 900 driver. It will rival the E2e for output and throw, with the added benefits that come with LEDs. It might not put out the sheer amount of light of the KL4, but it will definately throw a spot much much further.
Truely, the lower powered incandecents (60 surefire lumens and under) have had their day. As for the dual stage brightness, there are a couple of people working on dual stage tailcaps for the E series, including the unfeasibley talented McGizmo.

Latest posts