Anyone Compared a Coast HP1 to the HP5R ????

Witterings

Enlightened
Has anyone compared the 2 in the title, my HP1 is my go to torch with an AA battery and think it's brilliant but want something a bit brighter and with a more focused beam for other uses.

I do sometimes use it with a 14500 battery but the run time isn't great and whilst you're going from flood to focus it suffers a dot in the middle with no light until you're fully focused but then it has a focused inner ring and a broader outer ring and I'd rather in was all centralised without the outer ring ..... more like the LED Lensers on full focus.

Has anybody had both to compare and if so is there much difference in brightness between the HP1 with a 14500 and the HP5R??

EDIT / PS: Also is there a large "Step Down" I tried the LED Lenser equivalent although 280 lm ... which lasted for 1/2 second so they could claim it did it and then the output plummeted, think they'd of been much better off going for something around the 200 lm instead and retaining some credibility and really don't want to repeat that exercise.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a Coast guy one of the few here. HP5R is the way to go. More power smooth focus and still small enough to pocket.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a Coast guy one of the few here. HP5R is the way to go. More power smooth focus and still small enough to pocket.

Coast/Led Lenser is what started me down the rabbit hole of flashaholism. I had over 15 lights from them, but discovered CPF, Lithium batteries...and other lights took their place..I still have a few of those lights, but they are relegated to loaners now.

Witterings

Enlightened
^^ Agreed. I do not own a "5" but read enough about it know know you'll find the extra $10 well spent.

I do like that "1" though.

It's not an extra $10.00's though it's an extra £50 or at today's exchange rate $65.00's ????? I guess you were you looking at the HX5?????

Witterings

Enlightened
I just saw an HP1 for $16 and HP5 for $26. Sounds like $10 more where I come from.

Ahh OK ... that's the HP5 ........ NOT the HP 5 R as per the heading which as I said is $65.00's more where I come from ... the clues in the R :duh2:.

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/coast-professional-led-torches/coast-hp5r-rechargeable-led-torch.html

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ahh OK ... that's the HP5 ........ NOT the HP 5 R as per the heading which as I said is $65.00's more where I come from ... the clues in the R :duh2:.

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/coast-professional-led-torches/coast-hp5r-rechargeable-led-torch.html

Apples and oranges bro.
Yeah I saw the R. I have a 7R. I know they cost a lot more.

But comparing an HP1 to an HP5R is like comparing a pine tree to a rose bush. So I spoke of the 5 figuring perhaps you meant the general....
Never mind. Good luck.

Latest posts