Maratac AAA Lights

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Anyone else out there who really enjoys these lights and would love to see a Maratac AAA offering with the Nichia 219B emitter?

Not long ago I contacted CountyComm to make this suggestion and I received some feedback that this had previously been considered/discussed by the Engineering Dept. behind the Maratac lights.

Really the reason why I'm making this thread is to encourage others who would be interested in such a light to communicate their interest to CountyComm so perhaps this might come closer to becoming a reality... They seem to be responsive to Customer feedback and I think it would be helpful to reinforce that there is a Customer base out there who values the neutral white / High CRI emitters...

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. Lumentop tool and Maratac are the same light.

na7p17q.jpg

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Get you a Lumintop Tool Nichia and swap heads. Basically same lights. :thumbsup:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...LUMINTOP-TOOL-AAA-Cooper-(Nichia-219B-1x-AAA)

The Maratac head doesn't fit on the Tool body though right? (if I remember reading correctly in other threads)...

The Medium mode on the Tool (Nichia) is only 18 lumens output... I know that the Nichia emitter is less efficien than cool-white alternatives, but ideally for my uses I would hope for a somewhat higher output, closer to the 30 lumen level.. Just my preferences....

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a copper reylight tool on a brass maratac. :) In fact both the tools are reylights. I prefer the LMH order on reylights over the MLH on regular drivers

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maratac head doesn't fit on the Tool body though right? (if I remember reading correctly in other threads)...

The Medium mode on the Tool (Nichia) is only 18 lumens output... I know that the Nichia emitter is less efficien than cool-white alternatives, but ideally for my uses I would hope for a somewhat higher output, closer to the 30 lumen level.. Just my preferences....

The copper Maratac and copper Tool have interchangeable heads and both swaps work.
The TiTool head is not interchangeable with anything.

The least expensive way to High CRI a Maratac, unless you do an LED swap, is to buy a Lumintop Worm off the bay, BUT, the Maratac Head will NOT work on the Worm body.

Your next option is to buy a Copper Tool or Rey Light Tool, depending if you want MLH or LMH modes. (and a lower low on the ReyLight)

However, the Tool medium is 32 lumens on XPG2, but 18 lumens on N219b.

Here is a Lumintop Worm head w 4000k Nichia (MLH), on a Maratac body
(the headgap is slightly larger, and the Worm head has slightly less threads than a Tool or Maratac head)
IMG_7419.JPG

Next below is a Maratac with a 3000k High CRI XPG LED swap (MLH), that uses the Maratac Driver. I have another Maratac with same XPG that uses the ReyLight Driver (LMH). I was curious to know if the Maratac driver would be brighter on Medium. It is NOT.

Using the same LED, the Maratac driver Low looks about 3x brighter than the Rey Light driver low. The Maratac driver Medium looks the same to my eyes as the ReyLight Medium. And both seem to my eyes to have the same High.

the Maratac driver spec is 40-1.5-138 I do not believe that is accurate for the low
the stock Tool driver spec is 32-5-110
the nichia Tool, same driver, spec is 18-3-80 a drop of 27% brightness compared to XP-G2. This is unavoidable since the High CRI Phosphor coating, consumes lumens to produce higher CRI (produce more red)

imo comparing my lights by eye, the ReyLight Driver has a lower low but the same Medium and High as the Maratac and stock tool (Plus the ReyLight is LMH, the Maratac and stock Tool are MLH)
IMG_3567.JPG

here is a Maratac with ReyLight Tool w 4000k Nichia head (LMH)
note the knurling on the Tool is slightly flatter, if you look closely.
IMG_0520.JPG

here is proof that the Maratac Head works on the CuTool, and vice versa
IMG_0444.JPG

and proof that the Worm head works on the Maratac body, but Maratac head wont light on Worm body, because worm threads are shorter.
IMG_0203.JPG

Here is the comparison of the Lows, left to right
MLH ReyLight N219, MLH Maratac Driver w XPG, LMH ReyLight Driver with XPG
(the middle one may even be brighter than the left one, I have no ability to measure actual lumens)
IMG_3658.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

Note I bobbed the clips on the Maratac, so they tailstand reversed (I keep the clip in Hat mode)
IMG_9837.JPG

If you want to buy an LMH N219 ReyLight, new sealed, PM me. I would also consider selling the XPG Maratac with Maratac driver (MLH).

Or just buy a Copper Maratac and a Copper Tool w N219, if youre OK with starts on Medium, which I think is great myself.

Last edited:

Rexlion

Enlightened
Nice lego info. Personally, I already have so many Maratac AAAs (2 SS, 2 Al, 1 Cu, and 1 Brass, plus 1 Extreme), I won't buy more unless they start putting out 300 lumens or something. :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice lego info. Personally, I already have so many Maratac AAAs (2 SS, 2 Al, 1 Cu, and 1 Brass, plus 1 Extreme), I won't buy more unless they start putting out 300 lumens or something. :)

If you want a High CRI Maratac lego, for the Maratacs you have, only a Copper Tool w Nichia, or Copper Worm w Nichia would give you a matching N219 option.

Note the Worm head only has 2.5 full threads, while the Maratac and Tool heads have 5 full threads

There is no Stainless Tool, no N219 available for the Al Tool, and there is no Brass Tool.

fwiw, the TiTool head has Male threads, whereas the Maratac head has Female threads, so the TiTool head will not fit anything else.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
fyi bangood is starting a sale tomorrow, discount code Lumintop gives 30% off
the Copper Tool w Nichia should be $17.50 then
the Copper Worm w Nichia $21.70
and the TiTool for $34.96
(and I think the ReyLight TiTool is still available for $45 here)

fwiw, the head of the Copper Worm and Copper Tool will fit on a Copper Maratac (the Maratac model produced after oct 2015 that has the ring around the LED)

also fwiw, the Titanium Maratac is back in stock and the Copper Maratac is also in stock

and, if anyone wants a Copper ReyLight Tool PM me, I have a couple left.

disclaimer, Im not a reseller, and Im not affiliated with any of the vendors mentioned. Just a consumer sharing info on deals Ive spotted

Last edited:

Latest posts