Weird behavior of my VC4

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was charging four of my LSD NiMH cells on my Xtar VC4. They were down to 1.3v when I put them in. About an hour or so later I looked at it to see how far they were, and all four were showing green, but the voltmeter was only showing 1.3v. I started to take them out, and as I pulled the first one out, the other three cells went red again. So I put the last cell back in and it went red too. Anyone else ever experience this or have any idea what was going on.

I have had my VC4 for about a year, and have never had any problems with it before, so this is kind of weird.

And on an semi-related topic, where does 1.3v fall in the capacity curve of an NiMH cell?

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a cell that has been sitting for a few hours after charging, 1.3V would be unusual. A fully charged NiMh or NiCd is about 1.25 volts. While on a charger, a fully charged cells is around 1.45 volts. I suspect your VC4 may have dirty contacts. You might
try cleaning both ends of all 4 slots with 70% Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol .

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah clean your contact points on your VC4 Ive had the same issue. Luckily I have 3 cans of DeOxit D100 so it barely took any effort at all and the connections are better than new. If you do not have DeOxit D100 rubbing alcohol will work...