Creation of a revolutionary flashlight - Sydney Australia

Bruno28

Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Im not sure if Im allowed to post something like this here, but I think its the best demographic to request for help/assistance.
After my last thread about the Flashlight Industry had so many replies, I think this is a great opportunity to enter this huge market with lighting tools that will be used for consumers, law enforcement, rescue and any other market.

I want to create a business in which the term "work" is something I would enjoy doing everyday. If I dont do something now, I fear I might settle and always work for someone and never be happy.
I have a Mechanical Engineering Bachelor from UTS and I have a great mind for innovation and a drive to achieve my goals. Currently I work as a Project Manager, so i know a few things about delivering a product and managing.

Im seeing if there is anyone around Sydney Australia area that would like to join me on this journey to design and manufacture from scratch a flashlight brand that will revolutionize and put new technologies in the hands of others.
I say Sydney, because its easier to have meetings and mindstorm. But its not limited only to Sydney Australia.

I don't want to work for someone my whole life, I want to spend my time making and developing something that interest me, one of them being FLASHLIGHTS. With this outcome, more of my energy will go towards achieving a goal.

I know most people are thinking that this is just another "brand" that wants to enter this market. But I do things to succeed until the goal is reached.

If you're interested in helping, joining or even volunteering to be apart of this, please send me a message on here or my email [email protected]

What would be helpful for you to have is the following:
A degree or great knowledge in the following:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Programming/ IT Engineering (develop apps and software)
- Design
- Business/Marketing

If you have ever thought of making a flashlight, now is the time to gather like minded people to achieve one goal.

I welcome any feedback, and yes, there is no such thing as a flashlight that makes everyone happy. But input from everyone here could help get closer to something that hasn't been developed before.

Thanks for Reading.
Bruno

Last edited:

Bruno28

Enlightened
No one interested? Thought it would have been something that a few would have interest in joining.

bdogps

Enlightened
Maybe there's not many torch enthusiasts in oz with those credentials that you are asking? Have you tried going to Budget light forum as well? Have you heard of EEVblog on YouTube? I think the guy who runs that channel is in Sydney as well. All the best to you mate

Bruno28

Enlightened
Maybe there's not many torch enthusiasts in oz with those credentials that you are asking? Have you tried going to Budget light forum as well? Have you heard of EEVblog on YouTube? I think the guy who runs that channel is in Sydney as well. All the best to you mate

Thanks for the tips. I'll try posting in budgetliggtforum and look up that guy from YouTube.

SteveAZ

Newly Enlightened
I'm presently a contract electrical engineer that's done a lot of work with power - everything from micropower to hundreds of amps and many thousands of volts. I'm no stranger to lighting and been in industry for 35years. I've also managed projects, etc. Being in Arizona I'm pretty far away from Sydney!

I write some code from time to time - if the project is big I have others that help with that. I'm thinking that unless it's a really fancy torch the code is likely fairly simple.

I did work in Brisbane a few years ago - that's sure as heck isn't the same thing. We did a lot of work remotely but I agree that it helps a lot to be in the same physical location when it comes to the noodling which is one reason I ended up there for a very short spell...

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about optics? I am an optician. There has GOT to be a LOT of torch enthusiasts in Australia just dont see how there could not be. Then again just about the entire population lives along the coasts correct?

Bruno28

Enlightened
Hello SteveAZ and CelticCross74. Sorry for the delay reply, been a bit busy with work and life in general. Both of you could be something handy once this gets kickstarted.

Yes being close is easier to negotiate and explain ideas. But if there is no option and the best I can get is from another country, it will have to be this way. Will keep you guys posted :)

Witterings

Enlightened
This is quite spooky ... I was thinking about starting a virtually identical thread but I'm based the opposite side of the globe to you in the UK.

My knowledge though is more from the point of marketing and knocking on doors ... I've had a career initially as a a Futures & Options broker for 10 years and then 16 years running my own small private
IT Recruitment company .... much as you though now want to do something I have a passion for.

If you fancy having a chat to see if there's any common ground (although it may be difficult from opposite sides of the planet) drop me a PM.

Bruno28

Enlightened
So I may have a pivot on what I will do now. And will leave the flashlight creation for later...

Ive seen that in the lighting market for urban search and rescue has very little competitors. And the ones available aren't very amazing products and extremely expensive. Fox fury are one of the best from what I could find, but very expensive ($6000), 14000lumens and can run for 3 hours.

I asked the place I volunteer that if I made a lightening system, could we use it? And the answer was yes and could even get grants and financial help.
So I'm thinking of making something with XHP-70s to be a portable flood lightening system that can run up to 3 hours ON while delivering 15000-20000lumens.

To my quick notepad maths, I would need five XHP-70 (running at 3000-4000lm x 5 = 15k-20k lumens) and about 160000mah of lithium ions (45 x 18650 at 3500mah or 32 x 5000mah 26650), to run over 3.6 hours (at max 20000lumens).

I see the benefit of this being to save time from needing to pull out a generator, cables etc, which is about 15 mins to setup and 15 mins to pack.

Possibility of extra battery packs can be installed to double the hours, etc.
Would need generator connection in case the job runs for over the 3.6 hours in case there is no extra battery packs available.

This needs to be an easy to install. SO under 60 seconds for full lighting.

Does this sound interesting? Nothing in the market like this?
Im just trying to solve a problem. Which is annoying to setup a lighting system at night, when it could be a flick of a switch for a job that wouldn't be longer than 2 hours to complete.

Bruno28

Enlightened
This is quite spooky ... I was thinking about starting a virtually identical thread but I'm based the opposite side of the globe to you in the UK.

My knowledge though is more from the point of marketing and knocking on doors ... I've had a career initially as a a Futures & Options broker for 10 years and then 16 years running my own small private
IT Recruitment company .... much as you though now want to do something I have a passion for.

If you fancy having a chat to see if there's any common ground (although it may be difficult from opposite sides of the planet) drop me a PM.

Exactly! Need to do something you like and enjoy. And i would be happy doing something flashlight related. Se my post above, i feel there is a big market for LED lighting for search and rescue. I volunteer on search and rescue and know the trouble and time consuming that it is to set up lighting for emergency night work.
I resigned my job, and I'm driven to start something.

SteveAZ

Newly Enlightened
...To my quick notepad maths, I would need five XHP-70 (running at 3000-4000lm x 5 = 15k-20k lumens) and about 160000mah of lithium ions (45 x 18650 at 3500mah or 32 x 5000mah 26650), to run over 3.6 hours (at max 20000lumens)....

You should probably be looking at in W(atts) and Wh's instead of A(mps) and Ah's. For 4000lm on XHP-70 you need about 30W (28.8W = 4.8 A @ 6 V or 2.4 A @ 12 V) so to run for 3.6h you'll need >100Wh. A 3500mAh (@ 3.7V) 18650 will give you ~13Wh per cell or about 8 cells (8 x 3.5Ah x 3.7V = 103.6Wh). Add another one or two to account for circuit efficiency (loss) and maybe one more for margin and you're still only at 11cells.

At least it's good news :naughty: