DQG Tiny AAA - which LED? 90-CRI, neutral white or cool white

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened
Hi - I want to get a very small AAA flashlight to replace my Arc-P which I'd had for many years but has finally stopped working after much abuse (yes I've tried cleaning the contacts etc.) and in any case am wanting something with at least two modes (low first) and brighter than my old Arc-P (not hard).

I'm attracted by the DQG TiNY AAA (maybe even the Ti version), as it seems to tick all my boxes - tiny, low first, grippy knurling, tail stands, reasonable output, 10440 compatibility, comes with a clip. I know there are other brighter AAA flashlights out there (e.g. the Thrunite Ti3, which ticks most of my boxes, except size), but most of these are quite a bit larger and I have my Nitcore Defender AA for situations where I need to throw lots of light for a long-ish time. Also the DQC TiNY AAA output can be improved a bit if using a 10440 battery.

Anyone, now I've pretty much decided to buy one - which LED tint to go for? I don't really like cool tints in this sort of flashlight, so I guess it's really a choice of neutral white vs 90 CRI - what are the pros cons of these two? I don't like my whites too yellow, but prefer more natural looking skin tones and foliage colour. I don't mind losing a little bit of output/efficiency as long as it's not a large amount. Thanks!

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would choose the one with the highest CRI...whatever that one was between NW or 90 CRI.

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened
I would choose the one with the highest CRI...whatever that one was between NW or 90 CRI.

Okay, well the latest VIII version didn't seem to be offered in 90 CRI so I've ordered the NW version...

BTW what 10440 batteries would work well with this flashlight? Think they need to be the sort with a raised positive terminal I.e. similar to an actual AS A battery. Any particular types brands to go for? Are "protected" ones preferable or will these not fit? Thanks!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered the NW version...

BTW what 10440 batteries would work well with this flashlight?

congrats
I hope it works to your liking

if you dont get any better answers, maybe also ask the seller which LiIon battery and charging system they recommend

I decided not to go the LiIon route, after learning they have special fire safety needs:
Using Li-ion cells in LED flashlights safely

Last edited:

oxford_guy

Newly Enlightened
congrats
I hope it works to your liking

if you dont get any better answers, maybe also ask the seller which LiIon battery and charging system they recommend

I decided not to go the LiIon route, after learning they have special fire safety needs:
Using Li-ion cells in LED flashlights safely

Thanks, I also ask about this here and got a few helpful replies:http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...40-battery-for-DQG-Ti-VIII-Titanium-AAA-10440

Sounds like button top Efest IMR 10440 batteries may be a good choice, esp. IMR tech is a bit safer,and I can get these in the UK

I may just use Eneloop Pros longer term, but am interested in giving 10440s a try, so may buy a couple and experiment,but will take note of the risks and good practice for safety. 10440s are officially officially supported by the DQG at least.