Olight S2 - compatible battery length? (protected)

idkfa

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. I have been lurking around here for quite some time, but I have a question that I have yet to find a definite answer for so I decided to sign up. Apologies if this has been covered previously.

I am looking at picking up an Olight S2 Baton as my first 18650 light. I want to run protected batteries , specifically the Panasonic NCR18650B: http://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/NCR18650B.pdf

My understanding is that protected versions of this light normally run around 70 mm in length. Is this compatible with the S2? The specs from Olight mention compatibility with protected batteries but I think this is slightly longer than usual. I know this is a pretty compact light, my worry is that the tail cap won't screw on.

Thanks for your time.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 69.5 mm ORB-186P34 Olight ICR protected 3400 mAh batteries in my S2 Baton. The extra one half mm of your batteries should be ok/fine.

:welcome:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
In mine I'm running Panasonic Protected 3400 mAh NCR18650B's, length is 68.9 mm...

idkfa

Newly Enlightened
I use 69.5 mm ORB-186P34 Olight ICR protected 3400 mAh batteries in my S2 Baton. The extra one half mm of your batteries should be ok/fine.

:welcome:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I (think I) have decided on ThruNite 3400 mAh batteries, they are decently priced (I am in Canada) and seem to be favourably reviewed. The shorter length also helps with charger selection.

In mine I'm running Panasonic Protected 3400 mAh NCR18650B's, length is 68.9 mm...

Thanks for the reply! The ones I was looking at seem to be a protected Panasonic NCR18650B but this review quoted the length at 70.5 mm: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Panasonic-NCR18650B-Protected-3400mAh-(Green)

I think I am settled on an S2, VC2 charger, and the ThruNites. The last decision is whether or not to pay the $10 additional shipping to get same day delivery... :cool:

wolfgaze

Enlightened

idkfa

Newly Enlightened
Interesting... Mine were purchased from Amazon, they are Panasonic batteries but branded & wrapped by a company called Simon (Flashlights)... I got the length I reported off their product page...

I am still trying to learn about these batteries but could it just come down to differences in the protection circuit from the varying manufacturers completing final assembly of the protected unit?

cclin

Newly Enlightened
I am still trying to learn about these batteries but could it just come down to differences in the protection circuit from the varying manufacturers completing final assembly of the protected unit?
high quality PCB will allow 12-13A high current cutoff (most cheap PCBs will not allow this much current). I'll recommend PROTECTED LG MJ1 18650 or PROTECTED SANYO NCR18650GA for S2.