Jetbeam PA 10 sudden unexplained failure

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years ago I was fortunate enough to buy a Jetbeam Jet-I PRO 14500/AA LED flashlight. Well built, reliable and powerful would describe my experience with this brand. I liked the 'first' Jetbeam so much that when an 'upgraded' Jetbeam PA -10 with 650 lumens was introduced a few years ago, I had to have one. The PA 10 arrived in a attractive, large sturdy plastic carrying case and was proudly displayed on a bookshelf. Aside from brief comparisons with other 14500/AA lights Like the Nitecore M 10 A, it was rarely used, and NEVER exposed to adverse conditions.
Much to my great dismay this evening, while demonstrating the difference between the PA 10 and Jet Pro I, noticed the beam on the Jetbeam PA 10 was no where near 650 lumens and less powerful than the Jet -I Pro. At that time, I changed cells in both Jetbeams and have NOT been able to get ANY light from the PA 10. Of course I have checked, replaced the rcr cells, however the light is still DOA. I loosened and re-tightened the switch and still have no light. This failure is most alarming it happened in a tactical situation. Jetbeam was one of the first factories, along with O-Light, that offered a quality professional grade LED flashlight at more affordable prices than Surefire.. I really hope I can get some help from the Jetbeam factory or the good folks at BatteryJunction. Recently I have developed an affinity for Klarus lights such as the FH 10, RS 30, and Mi 7 (arrived this week), and FINALLY made the move on that Zebralight SC600 MK III H.I. All these aforementioned lights are great, yet I will still miss Jetbeam and no longer add ANY to my collection if this situation is not properly addressed.
***UPDATE 0156 hours EDT***
when I attach a wire to the cell directly and touch the body of the light it roars out at 650 lumens!
does this mean the switch is bad? possibly a MUCH easier fix?

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...........***UPDATE 0156 hours EDT***
when I attach a wire to the cell directly and touch the body of the light it roars out at 650 lumens!
does this mean the switch is bad? possibly a MUCH easier fix?
Funny, when I read your post, the first thing I would do is take the head off and touch my power supply to it. If it still didn't work at that point, then the problem would be in the head (either the LED or more likely the driver).

Well you've done basically the same test only using a cell instead of a power supply. And the light works, so that tells me you have a disconnect on the negative side of the battery..........either through the switch or the contact with the tail cap to the flashlight body. If you have an ohm meter and can do some continuity testing that would be how you could tell where the problem is. Perhaps the switch has gone bad. The most obvious thing is the ring holding the switch in place, but I think you mentioned you already checked for tightness there. Next step is to do a continuity test on the switch or just replace it. Just some thoughts :).

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE 0923 HOURS EDT:
After sorting through some 'spare parts' I found an end cap for a Four Sevens light. While it did not directly fit on the Jetbeam, I was able to remove the switch and place it in the Jetbeam PA 10 and now I have one mode of 650 lumens!

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE 0923 HOURS EDT:
After sorting through some 'spare parts' I found an end cap for a Four Sevens light. While it did not directly fit on the Jetbeam, I was able to remove the switch and place it in the Jetbeam PA 10 and now I have one mode of 650 lumens!

That was one of the reasons I actually didn't buy one was because when running on the Li-Ion cell it only ran at max.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was one of the reasons I actually didn't buy one was because when running on the Li-Ion cell it only ran at max.

good point, I'm happy to be reminded that's normal for the light on 14500, thanks!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE (Jetbeam) now my Jetbeam Jet -1 PRO now only works as a 'twisty;' the clickie end cap switch no longer works.(when I use a Jetbeam 14500 cell!) I am starting to have some BAD VIBES about Jetbeam switches and am becoming VERY disappointed in this brand's apparent lack of quality control.:thinking:

Last edited: