Browser Alternatives to Microsoft IE

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I like Netscape 7.1. Built-in newsgroups and email client so you don't have to use Outbreak Express. Better security in general, IMO. The tabbed browsing feature is really nice. It sometimes acts a little quirky on some sites that aren't specifically written for Netscape/Mozilla browsers, and it doesn't support ActiveX (this is generally a good thing for security reasons) but in general I use it most of the time.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried it yet but I've heard lots of good things about MyIE2.

The most important features of MyIE2
Tabbed Browsing Interface
Mouse Gestures
Super Drag&Drop
Privacy Protection
AD Hunter
Quick Web Services
Google Bar Support
External Utility Bar
Favourites Bar
Skinning

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Although I'm typing this with IE 6 right now, I use Mozilla Firebird ver 0.7 (still beta at this time) most of the time. I think this will be a great browser by the time they get it to a 1.0 version.

I also use Pegasus Mail for email. Since it is fully non-Microsoft and non-Netscape there should be fewer freaks out there trying to exploit security holes in the code.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Mozilla Firebird as well. If you get it I highly recommend the "Flash Click to View" extension and the "IE View" extenstion.

The Flash Click to View extension effectively blocks all flash-based ads and replaces them with a simple placeholder, but still allows you to see flash animations that you WANT to see by simply clicking the placeholder to start the animation. Very, very nice.

The IE View extension is great for those few pages that just don't render correctly in Mozilla. With just a simple click you can load that single page in Internet Explorer, then return to Mozilla for the rest of your browsing session.

jdb2

Newly Enlightened
If you can use Firebird, I'd recommend it. It's a lot faster than IE, and it everything seems to work well.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm using Mozilla. Every time I have to use IE for something, I practically barf.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
GJW,

I am typing my response on MyIE2. So far, I love MyIE2. I have nothing against MS IE, but I find that MyIE2 has a few more features, which are coming in handy. I have tried Mozilla Firebird and uninstalled it within 5 minutes of testing it; I didn't like it at all!

Well I had no problems with IE before, but thanks to your informative post, I have founds something better. Thanks!

EDIT: After spending some more time with MyIE2 I'm am falling in love! You guys have to try this out for yourselves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The mouse gestures allow you to do commong things ever so quickly. There is even an MyIE2 forum! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened
Mozilla @ work
Firebird home Eudora pro for email
Love em

Opera worked well for me before I found Firebird

Tom

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
Doesn't MyIE use the Internet Explorer core?

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears to... which seems good to me. If you have always used Internet Explorer and want to try something else, it is very easy to learn. Actually there is practically no learning involved, because you can make it as simple as Internet Explorer. Or you can start investigating, and it has some pretty advanced features.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been running it for 2 days now and the freaking mouse gestures are just beautiful. I am liking it more and more everytime I click and open it. The tab view is also really nice. So far so good.

I have Mozilla also and it seems to buggy for me and crashes occasionally. I like MyIE2 much much better.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically, MyIE2 is an add on for Internet Explorer. So in essence you have not moved away from IE if that was your original intention by using MyIE2.

Mike