Yellowing of parabolic reflector on C8

PMED80

Newly Enlightened
I received an AR coated lens for my convoy C8 today. While installing it I decided to clean the smooth reflector not realizing that I used an ammonia based cleaner until it was too late. It made about 25% of the reflector surface a yellowish gold color. I'm guessing it had a chemical reaction to the surface because it won't buff out. Is there any options to eliminate the discoloration? I don't want to try anything else that may worsen it.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
"You never go full retard" and you never, ever, touch the surface of a reflector.

Put it back together and see if you can notice a difference in the beam profile. If so and if it bothers you, buy a replacement.

Chris

PMED80

Newly Enlightened
Apparently using the ammonia cleaner or just cleaning too vigorously with microfiber cloth was a bit too much. I found out that reflector was plated through copper cyanide process. That's why it had the yellow color after the chrome came off. I used a felt polisking bullet bit on my dremel. I used rubbing compound, white toothpaste, then polishing compound. All the yellowing is gone and has a clean polished aluminum finish. I'm pretty happy with it now and don't think I'll replace it.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently using the ammonia cleaner or just cleaning too vigorously with microfiber cloth was a bit too much. I found out that reflector was plated through copper cyanide process. That's why it had the yellow color after the chrome came off. I used a felt polisking bullet bit on my dremel. I used rubbing compound, white toothpaste, then polishing compound. All the yellowing is gone and has a clean polished aluminum finish. I'm pretty happy with it now and don't think I'll replace it.

Well, glad it worked out and welcome aboard.

I've always read that the coating is vapor deposited, often times and the layer is very thin, so we don't touch.

Chris

PMED80

Newly Enlightened
Lesson learned. I've never had such a problem with cleaning a reflector. If that little smudge wasn't there, none of this would of happened.

PMED80

Newly Enlightened
Not exactly a mirror-like finish, but the beam pattern doesn't seem to be affected.
IMAG2361_zpsbxoaibjl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]