Olight H05 and H05S

narmattaru

Enlightened
6e42e8.jpg

Products were provided for review by Olight.

I`ll be honest, when i knew that i would get 2 headlamps run by 2xAAA batteries, i wasn`t glad. I always treated to that kind of headlamps as toys for kids, nothing serious to spend money on.

Well, have I changed my mind?

Both 2 models looks almost the same, the difference is that H05S is little bit brighter and has hands free on\off.

Here are links to both models at manufacturer`s website. H05 и H05S

Specification
H05

• Max Output (lumens) 150
  • Low (lumens) 10
  • Max Run Time (hours) 40
  • Beam Distance 55 m
  • Peak Beam Intensity (candela units) 750 cd
  • Water Resistance IPX4
  • Impact Resistance 1 m
  • Head Diameter 1.34 in. / 34 mm
  • Length 2.2 in. / 56 mm
  • Battery Type 10440\AAA
  • pocketclip N/A

H05S all mentioned above and

• max mode 200 lumens
  • hands free operation mode with memory mode in this mode

30e08f.jpg

Package

100% Olightstyle design.

Inside, upon the paper throne honourly sits headlamp. Actually paclage incudes only flashlight + manual. that`s it.

Headlamp is compact and lightweight, that ( and good runtime) makes it a decent choice for jogging or outdoor activities.

Both H05 and H05S have XML-L2 + TIR lens.
e1c4eb.jpg

And here come the first dislike. I think that it is reasonable to protecct TIR-lens with even simple plastic glass. C`mone, Olight, that is acrilic lens, not Gorilla glass.

A also don`t understant choice of XML-L2. I don`t consider it bad decision, i simply don`t understand why not to choose XP-G for example.

d883d7.jpg

e5fb78.jpg
dbefb5.jpg

H05\H05S look like human face, i like this attractive look.

Button is made of something rubber-like material and has medium depth, with good click. Large and convenient button, i have to admit.
Back side of headlamp is tightely attach to front size. I think it is better then loosely and doubt that anyone will open-close headlamp too often. But user can be sure - batteries be in safe.
a1c896.jpg

The insides (or how we say in russian "guts") are different. H05S has small battery which constantly lights battery case, helping to see install battery properly even in darkness. Surpising method, heh, in a good way surprising. There are also photocells for hands free operating.

2f718e.jpg

eb4134.jpg

ad58ea.jpg

Here you can see red light mode in action.
f06e9b.jpg

e142c5.jpg

10f7c5.jpg

ca706c.jpg

f5d3c1.jpg

According to my impression both lights are assembled qualitatively. russian olight dealer mentioned that they are built to meet Mil-spec: MIL-STD-810F.

Headstrap is convenient.
97aa2b.jpg

2147b3.jpg

UI

UI is really easy. Click - and light is on, right from max brightness. then mid, then min. No strobe\sos.
I dislike max start, when eyes are got used to darkness, those 200 lumens will be painfull. I`d prefer start from mid mode.

There is red light mode. 2 clicks and you`re enter it. It has beacon (blink-blink-blink) and constant red light modes. 1 click to swith between. Then 2 clicks and you`re into normal light mode. I evaluate red light mode brightness as definetely below 1 lumen.

H05S has hands free operating mode. When it`s on (just hold a button `till light blinks,this mode is on or off) you have to move hand in front of headlamp at 10-20 cm distance. Light will of or on. Fortunately tere is brightness memory. And this is great. Imagine - you`re in low mode, then somehow you rise hand or something appears in front of head, lights goes off and on again in max mode. AA! my eyes are bleeding! Fortunately this mode can be turned off, thanx Olight for you thought about it.

One can easily imagine situation like this : user turnes off H05S with hands-free mode, put it into backpack or posket, where photocell immideately turns the light on. so battery will be drained quickly. Olight also thought about this and hands free mode can be turned off without touching button. You have to bury 7000mah 18650 ultrafire battery at the crossroad by any old cemetary in midnight, and magic will be cast. move hand quickly about 10 times in front of headlamp, then H05S will be turned off with hands free mode deactivated.

Regardless to fact that everytime headlamp starts in maximum mode, i like UI. It is simple and reasonable.

There is a pair of lithium non-rechargeable batteries that comes along with product, it produces the same brightness, but runtime is longer then with usual AAA Ni-mh\alcalines.

Olight states these brightness levels:

H05 150\90 - 30 - 15 lum
H05S 200\120 - 30 - 15 lum

Though both them have the same XML-L2, stated runtime differs as well as light itself. Here is Olight`s explanation : "H05 and H05S circuit design is different, so the runtime and tintes are different even with the same LEDS." See, world is full of misteries -)

Nevertheless, i`d like to repeat one more time, but this funny number like 100 lumens in reality turn to comfortable brightness and runtime. I`ve always was 18650 headlamp fan, so i`m glad i knew something new and good.

Now, look.

h05vsh05s.gif

olight-h05-slice.gif

h05.gif

h05s.gif

Actually, in reality 10 lumens look lil` bit brighter for eye, like this.
42b13c.jpg

17b597.jpg

05506b.jpg

h05s-les.gif

I even assume that it can be possible to run a bike with H05 (s) at high mode.

There is a video, i suppose you don`t want to listen to al these " vodka-voda-tovarish", so you can skip middle part and see interesting part in the end.

Ah, yeah. red light mode is something between 0-1 lumens, really dim. but for night vision it is practical choice, also it can be use as beacon (in blinking mode) Cool to attach to kids to make them visible at night.

971f5c.jpg

BTW, in darkness these 2 red LEDs make reaaally spooky impression. "Count dracUla be my master!"
7433c0.jpg

Overall.
I`m glad to confess that Olight H05\H05S made my prejudices against this type of headlamps disappeared.
Brightness and runtime are prcatical. Size and weight make H05 convenienе to carry even in pocket. Both model sit on head comfortably, high-level assembled. UI is good, both normal + optional hands free modes.

The one and real dislike is start in hight mode. The rest impressions are completely positive.

Thanx for reading.

Last edited: