ARC4 and magnetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpeg

Enlightened
Now the ARC4 isn't just any flashlight, so I want to double check before I go doing something really stupid...

How sensitive are the ARC4's to magnetic fields? If I accidentally put it next to a hard drive magnet, or, if I wanted to use it on a magnetic light holder, how careful would I have to be?

Probably a question for Peter, since most folks probably aren't going to want to do a field test on this one...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hey - excellent question, and since we are now programming our torches...what about strong EMP or any other strong electromagnetic fields?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The kind of fields you find outside of a lab should be no problem. If you did manage to get a strong enough field the first effect you would see is a temporary saturation of the inductor. Current consumption would go up and the light would eventually select a dimmer level to protect the battery. Removing the field and turning the light off and back on would return things to normal.

The flash memory cells will not be effected by practical magnetic fields.

Peter

jpeg

Enlightened
Cool, I shall purchase my accessories without fear.

thanks for the quick response Peter...

BigWonton

Newly Enlightened
If anybody wants to volunteer their Arc4, I'll stick it in the MRI machine at work and see what happens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
what about rf?
even the low level from a 5w handheld uhf rig causes trouble for lots of stuff.
and i run a 1.5kw 432 atv transmitter here a lot.
no problems with aaa or lsl but they dont contain a micro like the 4.i had a original ls die on me while working inside a studer 40 cnc grinder.now that i think about it it was near a large power transformer when it died.

Status
Not open for further replies.