OMG!!! P-Diddy, Nelly, Beyonce....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Are all in my town. Big freakin' whoopie. At the "hip hop conference" they have encouraged many new young idiots to vote. NATURALLY they will mostly vote Dem.

All I really care about is watching two teams play football. All this other stuff means NOTHING!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
please, just don't judge "hip hop" by those mainstream joke artists.

Edit:
Download this hip hop song by Sage Francis
Lyrics:
Coming live from my own funeral...the beautiful weather offered a nice shine,
Which is suitable for a full view of a forever altered skyline.
It's times like these I freestyle biased opinions every other sentence.
My journalistic ethics slip when I pass them off as objective.
"Don't gimme that ethical @#%$."
I've got exclusive, explicit images to present to impressionable American kids,
And it's time to show this world how big our edifice is!

That's exactly what they attacked when a typically dark skinned Disney villain
Used civilians against civilians and charged the trojan horses into our buildings.
Using commercial aviation as instruments of destruction,
Pregnant women couldn't protect their children. Wheelchairs were stairway obstructions.
Now I have to back petal...from the shower of glass and metal,
Wondering how after it settles we'll find who provided power to radical rebels.
The Melting Pot seems to be calling the kettle black when it boils over,
But only on our own soil so the little boy holds a toy soldier...
And waits for the suit and tie to come home. We won't wait 'til he's older,
Before we destroy hopes for a colder war to end. "Now get a close up of his head..."

Makeshift Patriot
The Flag Shop Is Out Of Stock
Hang Myself...Half Mast

Makeshift Patriot
The Flag Shop is Out of Stock
I hang myself while the stock markets crash

The city is covered in inches of muck
I see some other pictures of victims are up
Grieving mothers are thinking their children are stuck
Leaping lovers are making decisions to jump
While holding hands...to escape the brutal heat. Sometimes in groups of the three.
The fall out goes far beyond the toxic cloud where people look like debris.
But all they saw after all was said...beyond the talking heads
Was bloody dust with legs looking like the walking dead calling for meds.
Hospitals are overwhelmed. volunteers need to go the hell home.
Moments of silence for fire fighters were interupted by cell phones.
Who's going to make that call to increase an unknown death toll?
It's the one we rally behind. He's got a megaphone...and he's promising to make heads roll,
So we cheer him on, but asbestos is affecting our breath control.
The less we know...the more they fabricate...the easier it is to sell souls
An addictive 24 hour candle light vigil in TVs.
Freedom WILL be defended...at the cost of civil liberties.
Viewers are glued to television screens. Stuck...'cause lots of things seem too sick.
I use opportunities to pluck heart strings for theme music.

I'll show you which culture to punp your fist at and what foot is right to kiss.
We don't know who the culprit is yet...but he looks like this.
We know who the heros are. Not the xenophobes who act hard,
"We taught that dog to squat. How dare he do that @#%$ in our own back yard!"

They happened to scar our financial state and char our landscape.
Can you count how many times so far I ran back this same damn tape?
While a camera man creates news and shoves it down our throats on the West Bank,
With a 10 second clip put on constant loop to provoke US angst.

So get your tanks and load your guns and hold your sons in a family huddle,
Because even if we win this tug of war and even the score...humanity struggles.
There's a desperate need of blood for what's been uncovered under the rubble,
Some of them dug for answers in the mess...but the rest were looking for trouble.

sph3ric_pyramid

Newly Enlightened
They are not representative of the hip-hop nation or culture. Period. They've never been, and never will be.

Although, the mainstream "rap artists" who receive more exposure undeniably have an effect on the fashion aspect of hip-hop, which is integral to hip-hop as well, as many have the financial backing to mass produce certain types of clothing. The hip-hop culture does seem to find the oddest things to assimilate, though.

/tangent

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Blinded...

I can't really tell what to make of that. I am not some brilliant political animal. I am a Libertarian who just happens to agree more with the right these days.

Some of what's said above sounds sincerely troubled. Some of it SOUNDS like an indictment of what we are doing now.

Anyhow, by and large I find country music to fit my thought processes better than any other type!

Sorry if I stepped on any toes!!!

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hip Hop died with Jam Master Jay....sorry, but its lost all credability since the 80s

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i dont like hip hop to much.but i sure like Beyonce she is very atractive

LED-FX

Enlightened
Saw Public Enemy live a few months ago in a 800 capacity venue last time saw them was years ago in a 3000 capacity venue, they are still one of the best live acts have ever seen.

Dunno if Beyonce will still be touring in 15 years time...

Adam

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
I'm following the democratic race pretty closely and they mentioned all this rock the vote stuff isn't really bringing the 18-25 crowd voting. Which is too bad because when I was 18 almost everyone in my college classes voted. Maybe it was because they were white middle class, but still I can't say if that had anything to do with voting.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Public Enemy played with Anthrax in 1991, and even did a song or two with them. (I think the Anthrax album Attack Of The Killer B's had a song called "Bring The Noise" on it, by both groups).
Rap and metal.
How's that for a mixture? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

(Edit, a few minutes later)
Yup, I found the CD, and that's the song alright. I'm listening to it as I type this edit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
now htey have bands who are both kinda like limp bizkit .i like all music from 50,s rock to hard rock to metal .but dont care for country

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every Hip-hop or rap get-toegther in my city results in a few shootings and massive fights...

Most major-label rap stars have current or past street gang relationships, and most rap labels are used to launder illegally obtained monies from various criminal ventures...I guess MTV doesn't tell the youngsters about that?

--dan

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
dano: sadly, that's what would probably attract new teenaged fans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blinded,
I liked the tune, the part "Don't wave your rights with your flags" rings very true. Very Jeffersonian.
Rap initially was revolt against pop culture and now... after the record companies figured out it is much cheaper to produce..it is pop culture. At the beginning, rap was shocking in it's venom against society's ills. Now it shocks with the sex and violence in the words. Easy to do, just rip out the soul...replace with cuss words. Much easier to write.
Now that popular music is dance tunes, teenie bimbos and dance groups running horrid voices through digital processing...the RIAA blames declining record sales on music downloads. The actually quality of the music went down the sewer and it is all pre-fab crap.
When I was in Korea, they had these horrid girl/boy "bands" that could not sing at all. It was explained to me that they were for appearances sake (group called "Fine Killing Liberty") they could dance well and the crap sold.
The ONE good thing about all this crappy music, my sons get CD-R's of the stuff for free and it hits the dumpster in a few months. No same songs over-and-over for years. They get what they pay for.
Think of it this way. M-TV put on the show, that was the most music they have shown in years.