R U testing capacity in your 18650 batteries ?

bob12

Newly Enlightened
Been reusing laptop batteries for my new flashlights.I am under the impression when using old 18650 batteries that capacity should be checked, and grouped together if you are using more than one battery in a flashlight. Also is it a faux pas (mistake/blunder) to use 2-2500mAh unprotected laptop batteries in my TM-16. i would ask Nitecore but i'm sure the answer is no.
To date I have heard of no issues.If there is a problem,voice your concern bellow.
Also please don't given me any guff about wanting to use cheep/free batteries in my 200 dollar light.One of my anal compulsive disorders is being frugal.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been reusing laptop batteries for my new flashlights.I am under the impression when using old 18650 batteries that capacity should be checked, and grouped together if you are using more than one battery in a flashlight. Also is it a faux pas (mistake/blunder) to use 2-2500mAh unprotected laptop batteries in my TM-16. i would ask Nitecore but i'm sure the answer is no.
To date I have heard of no issues.If there is a problem,voice your concern bellow.
Also please don't given me any guff about wanting to use cheep/free batteries in my 200 dollar light.One of my anal compulsive disorders is being frugal.

Laptop pulls can be 'tired' batteries after their life spent in a battery pack, so treat them as such. I don't put my laptop pulls in anything draining upwards of 1.5A-2A, but that's just me, even though they test out well for capacity.

For lights running in series, protected cells are preferable and a safe bet. I don't think that I'd run naked pulls in a 'series' light, but again...that's just me.

The SkyRC MC3000 and the Opus BT-3100/3400 chargers (the same, actually) are analyzing chargers that allow for discharge and thus, a capacity reading. They are multi-chemistry and quite flexible for a range of li-ion/NiMH cells and batteries.

Chris

bob12

Newly Enlightened
Oh thats great. Just bought a SkyRC B6. The MC3000 is way better.Thanks for the info,guess i'm a day late.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
MC3000 might be good, but it is expensive. Opus chargers are not good for capacity measurement - they always report unbelievable numbers, no matter which revision or firmware you have. LiitoKala Li-260 costs just a fraction of price of above chargers, but it gives fairly accurate info on 18650 capacity.

Latest posts