EC4GT vs. MH27

Budman231

Enlightened
Can anyone that has both lights comment on the beam profile for these 2 lights at a distance ?

I have the MH27 and like it a lot, but really like the EC4GT for a few reasons. The lights body appears to be a comfortable shape, it has 2x18650s, and does not have the RGB LEDs. Ultimately this is a thrower for me so if the EC4GT is as good, or better at a longer distance than the 27, I may make the switch.

I will forego the in-tube charging if needbe. Nice to have but not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance.

Budman

kj75

Enlightened
The EC4GT throws out the MH27.
Preparing a review with beamshots of both lights, please be patient...:)

Will be up next week..

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
The GT out throws the 27 by a pretty wide margin. As for beam profiles I would say they are the same width with the 27 having faint artifacts around the edge of the beam from the secondary LED wells. Love em both. Am very surprised at the GT much better than I thought it would be.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about heat management? My mh27 really hasn't got "too hot to hold" tho I guess I never really used it on turbo for long periods.

dingusbird

Newly Enlightened
Cant speak for the EC4GT, but I just purchased the Mh27UV and its a fantastic well built unit. What sold me on the was the red LED and (and the UV feature is a bonus). I use it for hiking at night and the red is not too blinding, and I can use the UV to find scorpions.

I must say that the usb charging feature is excellent as well, having never owned a light that uses USB charging.

As to your original question the beam length on the MH27 is not superb and turbo does not last as long as I suppose it would on the dual 18650 light. The beam is extremely narrow at distance in my opinion on the MH27 as well. (be advised im using the 2300maH supplied nitecore battery.
In my opinion if you wont be using the colored LEDs get the EC4GT (about the same price, dual 18650s, and "high" mode is 420 lumens opposed to the 250 on the MH27.

And one last note the usb charging is great, but I dont trust the quality of the rubber plug that seals it from water, it looks like after some use if may break off and I do not know if nitecore sells addition ones (I have contacted them via email though on this issue)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually my GT warms up good but never goes hot. My 27 gets half as warm guess cause there is just more metal in the 27. Either way heat management is above average. The GT is easier to pocket in my opinion. Its throw is stellar. Both come with good holsters.

Budman231

Enlightened
Thanks everyone. Look forward to the review and have a tough choice to make I guess. Maybe the right answer is get the GT and keep my MH27. :)

Bud

Theodore41

Enlightened
I bought the Eagletac S200C2,because the all black EC4GT was not available yet,and the S200 throws out MH27.I think S200 and EC4GT are more or less equal throwers.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the XP-L HI S200C2 as well. On paper the ET does 55k CD and the GT 66. I was comparing them last night and really could not tell much of a difference in throw. The ET only has 3 modes though, no tailcap rubber stand piece and oddly no holster. That being said the ET has a wider beam. The ET is the sleeper mid size thrower of the year.