Oight R50 Seeker

narmattaru

Enlightened
Olight R50 was provided by manufacturer for review. you can buy it here

Specification can be easily seen at the backside of package. And as this is 3rd​ review, I bet you guys know what i`m talking about. Anyway, I hope that I will add some usefull information for you.
15d3c5.jpg

b8ecb5.jpg

6e64f8.jpg

Package includes: Micro-USB Cable ( 1m ) ,User Manual ,4500mAh 26650 Battery ( customized) , Lanyard, Power supply
15ed7d.jpg

Box looks very nice. Good design, magnet lock. Great package for present, it directly informs that there is an expensive thing inside.
R50 is surprisingly small for product with 2500 stated lumens. Here is a live comparision with On the road X5, which is (as I remember) slightly less than Convoy X3. It easily tailstands.
eea4d6.jpg

Nevertheless, grip is good. I threw and catched R50, it never slipped away from hand. Knurling is small.
And with cooling ribs manufacturer says like "yeah, and these are cooling ribs". C`mon for 2500 lumens that`s a definitely insufficient size. For 800 – ok. But for constant 1000+ they sacrificed common sense for compact size.
cc531f.jpg

209c39.jpg

Bezel is made of steel, it has impressively glowing ring under it. Really cool design decision. Both bezel and button are painted in blue cover with PVD cover.
Reflector is OP, about 1 inch deep.
4bcbaa.jpg

3d8fd6.jpg

There are contact pair (both +\-) at the tail, constructed to charge only olight 26650. Oh that is so uncool. There is also no spring at head side.
d1bee1.jpg

4efe37.jpg

A lot of grease.
1a9188.jpg

Button has medium deep movement, elastic (hope this is a proper word and you got what I mean). It`s also an indicator. Then R50 voltage falls below 3.15 ± 0.05v, it blinks 2 times with 3 sec interval. R50 automatically decrease brightness to low mode.
8c7f2d.jpg

fdcabd.jpg

There is micro-usb charging port. I cannot manage to get more then 1A current. I also want to underline that it also charges ONLY olight 26650 with +\- at bottom. Port glows red when charging is in process and turns green after it`s done.
d11b9a.jpg

04c3cd.jpg

ca68a4.jpg

UI.
Usual olight ui. Convenient and reasonable, as I slowly come to understand.
Long press from OFF – instant low
Short press – R50 is ON, memory mode will start it in last used mode (except strobe)
2 quick presses from off — instant Turbo.
Keep button pressed in on – changing brightness from Low to Max.
3 quick presses - Strob
Lock mode keep button press for about 3 sec – R50 is lock. Unlocking the same.
2 minutes turbo and 53celcium is really too much for barehand.

Though reflector is not that deep, at max-turbo mode flood light is impressive. Unbelievable impressive at 2500.
Here is a comparision with Convoy L6
51ba3f.jpg

Some examples.
50beam.gif

Amperage
c6af29.jpg

Temperature at after 2 minutes at turbo mode
45049c.jpg

DOROGA.gif

DVOR.gif

Here I forgote low mode. Kids distructed me.
PLOSADKA2.gif

More examples at the end of video. (ps. thanx for mhanlen for awesome video. i`ll do my best to reach this level)

Overall
It`s good looking and bright flashlight.
But as I suppose that olight management read reviews, I want to summarize my thoughts
Gap between 300 and next minimal constant mode (which is 800) is a way too large. And to reach 800 lumens, user have to switch 1200 and wait 12 minutes before it falls to 800. So there is choice between 'so-so' and 'really bright' brightnesses.
In case of such small cooling ribs, 2 minute turbo is too long. During 2 minutes R50 reaches 53 celcium. If you a Wolverine, that`s ok. But if think this is an execption.
What else – idea to support only olight`s own 26650 is…well…bad idea, to be polite.

Regardless to this – R50 is bright, really bright flooder which makes a good impression and be good to any hunter\fisherman.

Last edited:

Lumenwolf

Enlightened
Like the look of this light but now waiting to see how the new Acebeam EC50 gen 2 stacks up.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this light first thing I did was get a Keeppower cell for it and I swear its a touch brighter all around with the Keeppower cell. Yes it gets pretty hot on turbo a little to hot

tops2

Enlightened
Thanks for the review and the video. I like how these seems to throw far enough for me with good usable spill.

I wonder how the Acebeam EC50 gen2 and the Klarus G20 compares. The main thing to me about the G20 is the shorter throw mentioned in the spec..but doesn't seem like its really (widely) out yet. To me, the R50 is missing a low mode..and a holster.. But otherwise, it looks like a solid light.

narmattaru

Enlightened
i expect to get G20 be the end of august, so as they are quite alike with R50, i`ll be glad to compare them